The Epic Showa Movie

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
he-ba
Interpol Agent
Location: Sitting home and chatting with my best friend....... Titanosaurus!!

The Epic Showa Movie

Post by he-ba »

Ok so if you guys missed it or weren't really paying attention, me and NebulaMSpaceHunter were talking about the greatest Showa movie of all time and what it would include.

What would yours be like?
What Kaiju would it include?
Alien races?
Weapons?
Length?
Plot?
Crossovers?
Budget?
New Kaiju weapons or alien races?

Discuss!

P.S. If you want to check out what we said, go to What would you do to change the Showa Era? pages 12 and 13

20th Century Boy
Futurian

Re: The Epic Showa Movie

Post by 20th Century Boy »

My dream Showa film already happened—Destroy All Monsters. It had everything I wanted in a Showa film and I wouldn't change a thing.

Edit: Okay, give Varan and Baragon bigger roles. But other than that, I wouldn't change a goddam thing!

Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Rodan »

20th Century Boy wrote:My dream Showa film already happened—Destroy All Monsters. It had everything I wanted in a Showa film and I wouldn't change a thing.
The one thing Destroy All Monsters totally botched, and one of the reasons I find it such a tedious bore, is the characters.

You need the Showa-era cores: The journalists and scientists. Add a third character and you have your perfect Godzilla-approved cast. You know the difference between Godzilla 2000 and GMK and the rest of the Millenium series films? 2000 and GMK get this; the others don't.

As far as other charming later-Showa archetypes, give me one or two buddy monsters (Godzilla, Anguirus, Rodan and Mothra are friends, god damn it!), a group of jump-suit-wearing aliens and a clever if deeply unsubtle social allegory. Boom, you're good to go.

charliesheenkaiju
Interpol Agent

Post by charliesheenkaiju »

It would've been awesome to see more than one alien race try to take over and then fight each other, like the xiens and ghidorah vs the black hole aliens with mechagodzilla. Maybe some characters from the early films reprising their roles in some significant way, and maybe a monster battle that doesnt stray away from the city to some mountain landscape like in almost every film form the 70s
Kong better not touch my drumset!

he-ba
Interpol Agent

Post by he-ba »

I would love to see a giant battle containing most of the showa kaiju from the gamera, godzilla, and ultraman universes (and with ultraman I mean the original SFX series)! That would be awesome! Some could be left out, but that's fine, because if you have Ultraman on your side, most of his universe's enemies would be easy to destroy!

And yes, Mt. Fuji would be cool, but some smaller, maybe three or four-way battles could take place in a city
TK's resident Titanosaurus super-fan

Maybe Minilla was some mutation inside a Kamacarus' ootheca and that's why they attacked..... Maybe Minilla ISN'T the Son of Godzilla! He's some weird Kamacari that Godzilla felt bad for!

..... Nope, the other guys would never accept that..........

I don't know even know what a he-ba is......

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BIG GUY!!!!!!!!

ILL GREEN
Gotengo Officer

Post by ILL GREEN »

I would take it back to the roots of horror monster movies and make a film that'll actually frighten audiences.

It'll be about aliens actually capturing the Earth in a post-apocalyptic setting. The cannabalistic aliens living underground, kinda like in the Time Machine that survive on human blood. They want us as cattle and if a country disobeys, they release a gang of kaiju to rape and pillage the land capturing prisoners and eating them. Humans are helpless living on a slaughter farm of a city. Godzilla will still be the villain but until the alien kaiju start eating the Earth kaiju and he starts fighting back. On the human side, there will be a dude like Legend trying to figure how to rid the aliens and he meets characters along the way that are brilliant enough to assist.

It'll be a bloodbath of a movie.

he-ba
Interpol Agent

Post by he-ba »

Seems a little gory..... just a little......
But is it possible for a Kaiju to rape a person?.......... I think only kaiju can rape kaiju, that is if they have..... "the proper parts" like Redmoon and Erabus.
Not a bad idea, actually it sounds awesome, but I feel it doesn't give that Showa era love and compassion (I think you know what I mean)

Maybe Minilla was some mutation inside a Kamacarus' ootheca and that's why they attacked..... Maybe Minilla ISN'T the Son of Godzilla! He's some weird Kamacari that Godzilla felt bad for!

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

DAM with Fukuda-style characters and Kong. Maybe throw Magma and Imago Mothra in there too for good measures.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

ILL GREEN
Gotengo Officer

Post by ILL GREEN »

he-ba wrote:Seems a little gory..... just a little......
But is it possible for a Kaiju to rape a person?.......... I think only kaiju can rape kaiju, that is if they have..... "the proper parts" like Redmoon and Erabus.
Not a bad idea, actually it sounds awesome, but I feel it doesn't give that Showa era love and compassion (I think you know what I mean)
Whoa whoa! Didn't mean rape literally lol. Just good ol chaos and destruction.

But the gore will be moderate, maybe 3 or 4 faces of death type of scenes but the blood will not be the focus :D

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Kaiju don't have spirits. Hence why its okay to rape them.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

MaxRebo320 wrote:Kaiju don't have spirits. Hence why its okay to rape them.
And then sometimes I just have no response...

Ummm, nice avatar, by the way.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

he-ba
Interpol Agent

Post by he-ba »

Godzilla 1995 wrote:
he-ba wrote:Seems a little gory..... just a little......
:freak:

OK, back away from this line of thought very slowly, then run away.
Should've never stated that *facepalm*

Gothicserpent
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gothicserpent »

An alien invasion type movie with MG, Gigan, and King Ghidorah all teaming up. This time Gigan and Ghidorah would be working with the aliens of their own free will, to get revenge on Godzilla. It would be an all out war ending with Godzilla dying but taking King Ghidorah with him.
Also, it would be in the style of a Sergio Leone Spaghetti western with music by Ennio Morricone and Akira Ifukube
"HAY ANGUIRUS"
"WHADDA WANT?"
"SUMPTIN FUNNEH GOIN ON, YOU BETTAH CHECK!"
"OKAY"
GTU wrote:There are so many concept versions of Bagan they could give him his own toyline. That's why I'm banking on a Monsterarts sub-line called SH Baganarts.

he-ba
Interpol Agent

Post by he-ba »

Gothicserpent wrote:An alien invasion type movie with MG, Gigan, and King Ghidorah all teaming up. This time Gigan and Ghidorah would be working with the aliens of their own free will, to get revenge on Godzilla. It would be an all out war ending with Godzilla dying but taking King Ghidorah with him.
Also, it would be in the style of a Sergio Leone Spaghetti western with music by Ennio Morricone and Akira Ifukube
Poor godzilla..........

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

No aliens, no other monsters, just Godzilla showing mankind that nature is bigger and badder than they are, possibly with stark, black and white photography, and maybe a semi-documentary tone... hey! I think they made a movie like that!

Guess my epic Showa movie has existed for about 60 years.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I'm not sure about plot, but I'd want to see a solo Anguirus film. Maybe he could fight a monster, or some alien threat, but I'd like to see the spiky guy get his own movie.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Rodan »

eabaker wrote:No aliens, no other monsters, just Godzilla showing mankind that nature is bigger and badder than they are, possibly with stark, black and white photography, and maybe a semi-documentary tone... hey! I think they made a movie like that!

Guess my epic Showa movie has existed for about 60 years.
I kind of mentally separate the original from the rest of the Showa era, because when people talk about Showa-era tropes, this is clearly not what they mean.

Also because it's better than everything to come after by an absurd degree, despite my love for the series as a whole.

he-ba
Interpol Agent

Post by he-ba »

What about Godzilla vs War of the Worlds? (Obviously it would have a better name than that) And I mean the 1953 version. That would be epic! Exchange of heat rays and the aliens would shoot laser beams and oh what fun! Oh and the Fighting Machines must be much larger, that way Godzilla can get really physical with them!

Bigdog
JXSDF Technician

Post by Bigdog »

Here's a few:

Godzilla vs Kamen Rider: As silly as this sounds, Toho was at least brainstorming him to fight Batman, so why not this character?
Godzilla vs. Ultraman Ace
Godzilla vs Batman.
If Showa goes up to the 80's, then mine would have Godzilla vs Bioman, thrown into a world like 1984. If not, Godzilla vs The Mysterians versus Battle Fever J/Goranger/Denjiman.

For others:
-Daimajin vs King Caesar.
-Daimajin vs Varan: Varan 2.
- Half Human vs the Human Torch
- Half Human vs Dracula vs Frankenstein
-The Invisible Man vs. Matango.

Standalone: most of these would never get made due to their political matter or for being too high for a budget of the time.

Daimajin 4: WWII, Daimajin attacks imperialists for oppressing people [not particular of who to protect]. First is seen attacking Americans but it turns on the Japanese quickly , freeing the Japanese and POWs from the emperor. After trying to destroy it, it multiplies to 7 [going back to the homage of the original Jewish story] and begins to assault the entire city of Tokyo which they combine to a giant Daimajin. Biracial Japanese Okinawan who sacrifices himself stops the golem, but it goes to the mountain once more. Japanese ponder why its attacking Japan.

Alternate 4: Contemporary 1980's, the Japanese believe it to be a myth for wive's tales, but it is found destroying modern infrastructure that encroaches on its "divine" domain. Becoming global news, Christian and other missionaries try to exorcise the location, but find nothing. After trying to destroy it, it multiplies to 7 [going back to the homage of the original Jewish story] and begins to assault the entire city of Tokyo which they combine to a giant Daimajin. Destroying much of the skyline, it comes after the people responsible for its disturbance and oppressing people. Japanese person who sacrifices himself stops the golem, but it goes to the mountain once more. Japanese have a revival of spirituality for another film, but ship it to America.

Daimajin 5: Daimajin goes to America to attack people who interned Japanese. Plot is about statue taken to America, aka California. It goes to Hawaii at end. Ends with it destroying the island idol in an epic fight scene and becomes dominant on a Hawaiian island. Fromula is like an early Showa Godzilla film.
Alternate 5. No WWII story, but the same.

Daimajin 6: Daimajin becomes defender of Hawaiian royalty [like a loose remake of the original film] and Americans. Dies from a volcano that melts it, ending the saga. While the statue dies, the mountain where it was begins to erupt and it gets coated in magma, creating a chance for a newer Daimajin in the future.