Monster Discussion #17: Baragon (Showa)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
The One and Only
Futurian

Re: Monster Discussion #17: Baragon (Showa)

Post by The One and Only »

I do own, and have in turn seen Frankenstein Vs Baragon. And honestly while undermatched in GMK, the kaiju did put up a pretty good fight against Godzilla in that flick. Overwhelmed by the shear strength of the King of Monsters, but still held his own for a bit. Too bad Kaneko didn't give him back his fire breath in the flick,and ditched the glowing horn, it made him seem a little generic without that light up feature. But he still kept that almost puppy dog cute look.

But one feature, despite his cue, floppy hound dog ears, that makes him a bit scary is this. Notice in Frankenstein Conquers The World/FVB, the beast's teeth are a yellow, black color. And they're sort've bent, or esckew. That smile, once you see it comin' at you isn't a smile at all. It's the Gates of Hell welcoming you in. :shock:

Also Baragon, gets some excellent screentime in the last to be released of the Marc Cerasini novels, Godzilla Vs. The Robot Monsters. With the story of him being released after a mining disaster in Montana, the kaiju goes on quite a eating spree throughout the region, until stopped finally by Mechagodzilla in it inaugural mission.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

Irys X
Interpol Agent

Post by Irys X »

One thing I never understood is why Baragon didn't use his horn as a spear in battle. Seems like a pretty logical thing to do.
My Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla stop motion movie -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fshhA8BWuLw

Rodan vs. F-22 Raptor - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9q3V02iy_Xw

Wrath of Mechagodzilla - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4xHP8C_vWw

MekaGojira3k
Samurai

Post by MekaGojira3k »

Baragon has always been a favorite kaiju of mine. Flame breath, tunneling abilities, super leap, and a fluorescent horn? Yes, please. I also loved his brief appearance in GMK (poor little guy). He's a great kaiju who is genuinely threatening to human beings who made a formidable foe for Frankenstein.

Killswitch
G-Force Personnel

Post by Killswitch »

^I love that leap! With all those abilities, its a shame Toho didn't use him more often.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

Baragon is decent in my opinion. He's not as notable as some other monsters, but there are plenty of monsters I care much less about from the Showa era (Varan, Manda, Oodaku, Ookandru, Moguera, Dogora, etc). He put up a reasonable fight in FCtW, but it was too bad his suit kept him from engaging in a nice battle within DAM. In any case, I actually much prefer the Millennium Baragon. He looks way better, which is to be expected of something so much newer. I also never really cared for his oral flamethrower anyway, so I liked that they dropped it for his redesign.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

AK107DX
Ronin

Post by AK107DX »

I really like Baragon. The only way to really see the character in action other than in GMK is to watch Frankenstien Conquers the World. Too bad that was the only movie that he used his heat ray in. He deserves to be in more movies.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

Frankenstein Conquers the World(the dubbed version at least) is a somewhat mediocre film, but Baragon is a great monster; he's so unique. Sure, he's a dinosaur, but he bears no resemblance to any known species. I love his feisty & cunning character. I think GMK did improve on the design in many ways, though there is still one major problem: he has pathetic little paws for a burrowing animal.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

Rody wrote:he has pathetic little paws for a burrowing animal.
He uses his heat-ray to compensate for this problem.

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

^ an Updated look with a little resemblance to a Triceratops could be awesome if its done right, but he looks great the way he is "Cross of a Dino and a Mammal" kind of. Makes him more unique.
UNSTOPPABLE FURY. UNTHINKABLE POWER. UNBREAKABLE WILL.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

Zornow13
Samurai

Post by Zornow13 »

Love love love Showa Baragon! Dont know why he was soo weak in GMK ( not crazy over that re-design either, OR his rebooted roar ugh! his old roar is soo iconic to kaiju ( used aLOT in Ultraman). But yeah Showa Baragon also looks like a pug. that can tunnel and fire a ray, and jump all over the place!..he just RULES!
" What the Moon brings..."
"...and what the night leaves behind..."
" ...are the reasons' why..."
" ZORNOW MUST BE DESTROYED!"
http://zornowmustbedestroyed.com/

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

Zornow13 wrote:Love love love Showa Baragon! Don't know why he was so weak in GMK ( not crazy over that re-design either, OR his rebooted roar ugh! his old roar is so iconic to kaiju ( used a LOT in Ultraman). But yeah Showa Baragon also looks like a pug. that can tunnel and fire a ray, and jump all over the place!..he just RULES!
I like both versions of Baragon; However, I think the millennium version made several small changes which, overall, improved the design, making him a stockier, more "streamlined" burrowing animal. I also don't think that the millennium version was particularly weaker than the Showa version. He was just going up against a far stronger opponent.

As for the roar, once again I am very fond of both; but I prefer the millennium roar for one reason: originality. Baragon's old roar was recycled from Varan. For GMK, Toho gave him his very own, original roar.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

If you listen closely, you can actually hear stock Half-Life 2 zombie grunts.
There were plenty of other sound effects in GMK that almost any Source engine junkie would instantly recognize.

Zornow13
Samurai

Post by Zornow13 »

Rody wrote:
Zornow13 wrote:Love love love Showa Baragon! Don't know why he was so weak in GMK ( not crazy over that re-design either, OR his rebooted roar ugh! his old roar is so iconic to kaiju ( used a LOT in Ultraman). But yeah Showa Baragon also looks like a pug. that can tunnel and fire a ray, and jump all over the place!..he just RULES!
I like both versions of Baragon; However, I think the millennium version made several small changes which, overall, improved the design, making him a stockier, more "streamlined" burrowing animal. I also don't think that the millennium version was particularly weaker than the Showa version. He was just going up against a far stronger opponent.

As for the roar, once again I am very fond of both; but I prefer the millennium roar for one reason: originality. Baragon's old roar was recycled from Varan. For GMK, Toho gave him his very own, original roar.
RIGHT I forgot about poor Varan! my bad, but I LOOOVE Varan's/Bargon's Gorosaurus's Roar, that sound is GREAT!
" What the Moon brings..."
"...and what the night leaves behind..."
" ...are the reasons' why..."
" ZORNOW MUST BE DESTROYED!"
http://zornowmustbedestroyed.com/

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

^ Oh, I won't disagree with you there. It's a classic sound.
Space Hunter M wrote:If you listen closely, you can actually hear stock Half-Life 2 zombie grunts.
Never seen Half-Life 2, so I wouldn't notice.

daijinryuu775489
Samurai

Post by daijinryuu775489 »

I like showa Baragon, since he's mostly T&C with a heat ray added in as a bonus. It's a shame he wasn't used much in DAM, in spite of how often his name came up.
"You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance!"

Bentley
G-Force Personnel

Post by Bentley »

Baragon had a very decent GMK design, and he actually got more respect than most of the FW monsters.

demoylition
Interpol Agent

People HATE Baragon?!?!?

Post by demoylition »

I get the vibe that everyone hates this monster. How could you? Hes awesome and cuddly at the same time!!!
Shadow Arena: 2 win 1 loss

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: People HATE Baragon?!?!?

Post by eabaker »

Weird. I always got the impression that Baragon was pretty popular among fans. I think it's a pretty unique, neat design.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

62JackC
Monsterland Worker

Post by 62JackC »

I never cared for him nor did Toho.
I felt he was pretty over-rated after YT's "BARAGON BITCHES" thing.
TK's Resident Destoroyah Fanboy
Legion1979 wrote:
bearijuana wrote: Lol, I dress up like that at parties alot, and my cousin will dress up as Harley Quinn when I dress up as him ;)
And I'm assuming after that you two get it on? Or does her brother have first dibs?

GodzillaSpawn
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaSpawn »

I'm indifferent.