Monster Discussion #17: Baragon (Showa)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Megalon-5
JXSDF Technician

Re: People HATE Baragon?!?!?

Post by Megalon-5 »

Wait..people hate Baragon? I've always thought he was well received in the fandom. I've honestly never met a fan who said they hated him.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Megalon-5 wrote:Wait..people hate Baragon? I've always thought he was well received in the fandom. I've honestly never met a fan who said they hated him.
Ah, but here on the internet, hate is so often the default response...
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Megalon-5
JXSDF Technician

Post by Megalon-5 »

eabaker wrote:Ah, but here on the internet, hate is so often the default response...

I know Godzilla fans are a fickle group, but Baragon seems to be one of those characters/topics that nobody really frowns upon. I've seen people hate Ghidorah and other popular characters, but I haven't heard anybody say anything bad about Baragon until this thread.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Megalon-5 wrote:
eabaker wrote:Ah, but here on the internet, hate is so often the default response...

I know Godzilla fans are a fickle group, but Baragon seems to be one of those characters/topics that nobody really frowns upon. I've seen people hate Ghidorah and other popular characters, but I haven't heard anybody say anything bad about Baragon until this thread.
People hate Ghidorah? Not just a specific incarnation of Ghidorah, but the character entirely?

Weird...

I guess maybe some people don't like the goofiness of Baragon's design...? The big floppy ears? The pug-looking face?

I'm just mystified...
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

chimpy74
Young Farmer

Post by chimpy74 »

As with what everyone else seems to be saying, I've really not heard any complaints about Baragon up until now o.o. All of my friends that were into Godzilla movies have loved him and I think he's the reason I got my girlfriend into the films...

demoylition
Interpol Agent

Post by demoylition »

I forgot what youtube video, but people called him an ugly pug-faced dog.
Shadow Arena: 2 win 1 loss

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

demoylition wrote:I forgot what youtube video, but people called him an ugly pug-faced dog.
I do seem to recall seeing him on somebody's "worst Godzilla monsters" YouTube video recently.

It's truly a slow day at work when I have the time time and the inclination to watch something like that...

Megalon-5
JXSDF Technician

Post by Megalon-5 »

If it's from a Youtube video, I doubt most fans hate Baragon. Most Youtube commenters who are Godzilla fans are dunkasses to say the least.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

Baragon is pretty well liked, as many are saying. Never really a fan myself, though I certainly don't dislike it.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

wrongnote85
G-Force Personnel

Post by wrongnote85 »

never cared for him one way or the other.

Bentley
G-Force Personnel

Post by Bentley »

Baragon is awesome.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Dude... that little guy is one of my favourite monsters! Number 5 on my favourites list!
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

I like Baragon very much, although he & Anguirus are very similar in personality.

I don't recall anyone here saying they really disliked Baragon - then again TK is probably a very minor group in the fandom.
I believe Baragon is, or at least was, very popular in Japan. There's a reason he got to stay in GMK when Varan & Anguirus got the boot.

Destroyer
G-Grasper

Post by Destroyer »

When I saw GMK I didn't dislike him or anything, he was a cute little monster that you felt sorry for. But we already had an Anguirus.

But when I saw him in Frankenstein Conquers the World, he rose up in the rankings for me. Now that's a Baragon.
Making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. ~Ephesians 5:16

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Destroyer_199

Owner of http://destroyer14.com/

Editor/Reviewer for http://www.unleashthefanboy.com/.

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

Baragon is easly among my top 5 kaiju. I in no way shape or form hate the little guy.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

How could anyone hate the cute puppy that eats people? Seriously, Baragon's cool. He's not my favorite, but he managed to coax me into buying the Revoltech figure. Ironic how he had the upper hand in FCtW, but he was the underdog in GMK, along with Ghiddy.

kpa
G-Grasper

Post by kpa »

Chris55 wrote:
demoylition wrote:I get the vibe that everyone hates this monster. How could you? Hes awesome and cuddly at the same time!!!

No, Mr. Troll-Thread, he's not hated.
Exactly. Nothing is liked by everyone but I've never seen much dislike for Baragon. Who cares if a few people knock the character on message boards or in some YouTube video... that doesn't compare to the decades-long fan following he's had in Japan. Baragon was included in the very first series of Godzilla figures released in Japan, and featured in most toy lines since. FRANKENSTEIN CONQUERS THE WORLD is a cult classic, and many fans consider Baragon's battle with Godzilla the highlight of GMK. He even has crossover appeal because the Baragon suit was recycled for multiple monsters in ULTRA Q and ULTRAMAN.

This thread really seems like a non-issue to me.

Mr. X
Keizer

Post by Mr. X »

I love Baragon! He's like the puppy of the Godzilla kaiju.

The topic "People hate _____?!?!" can be created for every monster, because somewhere out there, there's at least a few people who hate that monster.
G2000 wrote:
2004Zilla wrote:May God have mercy on this site.
He's given up
2009MECHAGODZILLA wrote:
G2000 wrote:What about leeks? Can we post leeks?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... 3/Leek.jpg
http://orig02.deviantart.net/f900/f/201 ... 9nqjrv.png

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Aesop teaches that there's no pleasing everyone. The majority likes Baragon, so it hardly matters that there's a few nay sayers.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

GodzillaSpawn
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaSpawn »

Admittedly, I never felt anybody hated him. But I also didn't know he was beloved. Aside from FCtW, he had very little impact on the Showa series. Maybe people dislike him for that? He didn't exactly look great in DAM either. Felt bad for him in GMK though.