Monster Discussion #17: Baragon (Showa)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
GodzillaSpawn
G-Force Personnel

Re: People HATE Baragon?!?!?

Post by GodzillaSpawn »

Admittedly, I never felt anybody hated him. But I also didn't know he was beloved. Aside from FCtW, he had very little impact on the Showa series. Maybe people dislike him for that? He didn't exactly look great in DAM either. Felt bad for him in GMK though.

darkcancer
Monarch Researcher

Post by darkcancer »

I'm a fan of Baragon and always enjoy when a lesser used kaiju is placed in a film.
Godzilla & Gamera High Grade (gashapon) collector.
Looking for: spare High Grade insert papers (various sets)

SovereignRez
Yojimbo

Post by SovereignRez »

Baragon rocks! I've always loved that kaiju when i first saw him late at night in Frankenstein Conquers the World when I was a kid. I was happy to see him in GMK too, he stole the show for me, rooted for the little guy only to feel bad for him in the end.

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

I like Baragon after seeing GMK. He is loved in Japan so i don't see why some people
say he is hated.
UNSTOPPABLE FURY. UNTHINKABLE POWER. UNBREAKABLE WILL.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Baragon's great, and does a good job of standing out from the kaiju crowd. A 'small', scrappy, burrowing, leaping dinosaur that eats people. What's not to like?
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

natevirus
G-Force Personnel
Location: Normally, I'M EEEEVEERYWHEERREE!!! Physically, on Earth...Mentally, somewhere unpleasant...

Post by natevirus »

That surprises me. Always thought people were at least neutral towards Baragon...I mean, I like him (especially in GMK...don't know why, but he had my favorite roar in that film, and I found him fun to play as in Godzilla: Save the Earth). But I didn't know a lot of people hated him.
Last edited by natevirus on Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Just because you think you are a fan of something doesn't mean you have to be a bias prick about it." ಠ_ಠ
I guess I just enjoy things just to enjoy them...Nothing wrong with that, right? Isn't that what fans do?

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

Did you even read through the thread? People love Baragon!

natevirus
G-Force Personnel
Location: Normally, I'M EEEEVEERYWHEERREE!!! Physically, on Earth...Mentally, somewhere unpleasant...

Post by natevirus »

Rody wrote:Did you even read through the thread? People love Baragon!
Yeah, I did. I was saying that as a reply to the OP. Plus, this forum may not actually represent the fandom in its entirety. :| That was brought up in this thread, by you none-the-less. *shrugs*
Rody wrote:I don't recall anyone here saying they really disliked Baragon - then again TK is probably a very minor group in the fandom.
"Just because you think you are a fan of something doesn't mean you have to be a bias prick about it." ಠ_ಠ
I guess I just enjoy things just to enjoy them...Nothing wrong with that, right? Isn't that what fans do?

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

Fair enough; my apologies if I came across as rude.

I, personally, like Baragon plenty. I wish he had more of a role in DESTROY ALL MONSTERS.

natevirus
G-Force Personnel

Post by natevirus »

Rody wrote:Fair enough; my apologies if I came across as rude.

I, personally, like Baragon plenty. I wish he had more of a role in DESTROY ALL MONSTERS.
That would have been nice.
But I'm wondering...how many people loved his roar in GMK?
Raise of hands...anyone?...Just me? :lol:

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

I did. Sure, his old roar was nice too, but it wasn't actually HIS roar. His new vocalizations in 2001 were very unique and cool.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

Until GMK, I only knew Baragon from his "cameo" in DAM and a couple of kids' books. I didn't learn about the Frankenstein film until years later via the internet.

Speaking of which, I should watch that again.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I wasn't crazy about the roar in GMK. The original strikes me more.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

The problem with his old roar is that it's actually VARAN'S roar. Toho didn't even seem to tweak it.

PRIMEVAL
Gotengo Officer

Post by PRIMEVAL »

He's a-okay in my book.

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

Rody wrote:The problem with his old roar is that it's actually VARAN'S roar. Toho didn't even seem to tweak it.
GMK Baragon roar its better. The Showa roar is ok but it reminds of Varan and Goro too much.
UNSTOPPABLE FURY. UNTHINKABLE POWER. UNBREAKABLE WILL.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

ScootaVaran
EDF Instructor

Post by ScootaVaran »

edgaguirus wrote:I wasn't crazy about the roar in GMK. The original strikes me more.
Really?
I loved his roar in GMK. It was such a odd and unique roar like Biollantes or Destroyahs.
The quickest way into a woman's bed is through her parents. Have sex with them and you're in. -Zapp Brannigan
For some Coffee inspired art, viewtopic.php?f=19&t=11147

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

It was unique, but it didn't quite work for me. The GMK roar seemed a bit too synthetic, while the original sounded more animal like.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

natevirus
G-Force Personnel

Post by natevirus »

edgaguirus wrote:It was unique, but it didn't quite work for me. The GMK roar seemed a bit too synthetic, while the original sounded more animal like.
I kinda felt it was the other way around, but that's just me.

demoylition
Interpol Agent

Post by demoylition »

edgaguirus wrote:It was unique, but it didn't quite work for me. The GMK roar seemed a bit too synthetic, while the original sounded more animal like.
I liked the gmk roar. It made him sound ferocious in way and distinguished him from varan and gorosaurus,
Shadow Arena: 2 win 1 loss