Godzilla's fighting style in KKvsG

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
gatorzilla
EDF Instructor

Godzilla's fighting style in KKvsG

Post by gatorzilla »

Watching KKvG again the other night got me thinking about Godzilla's fighting style in the movie because a couple of things confused me?

Why does it seem like Godzilla is trying to escape up the hill after Kong grabs his tail?

Why does Godzilla seem to back away from Kong behind the castle and then just go straight after him?

For the first half of the battle did it seem to anyone else like Godzilla was just toying with Kong before having to turn defensive against him in the second half?

Godzilla's fighting style seemed to go from merely toying with him to flat out defensive assault so I wanted to get others opinions on this
IN GARETH EDWARDS WE TRUST!

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Re: Godzilla's fighting style in KKvsG

Post by Space Hunter M »

Godzilla's a loveable coward with some ego problems in this movie. That's my explanation.

*claps*

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

gatorzilla wrote:
Why does it seem like Godzilla is trying to escape up the hill after Kong grabs his tail?

Why does Godzilla seem to back away from Kong behind the castle and then just go straight after him?

For the first half of the battle did it seem to anyone else like Godzilla was just toying with Kong before having to turn defensive against him in the second half?

Godzilla's fighting style seemed to go from merely toying with him to flat out defensive assault so I wanted to get others opinions on this
1. He was trying to break free. I'm sure he didn't intend to retreat, and would've turned around as soon as Kong let go. And it probably didn't help that Kong startled him.

2. The castle needed to be smashed, didn't it? But in-universe, Godzilla probably just wanted a few seconds to catch his breath before continuing the fight.

3. This Godzilla seemed more like a bully than a killing machine. Kong wasn't a real threat before the lighting strike, so Godzilla was content to mess around and have fun easily winning. He had to step up his game and fight harder once Kong became powerful enough to match him.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

he-ba
Interpol Agent
Location: Sitting home and chatting with my best friend....... Titanosaurus!!

Post by he-ba »

Because Kong gets the upper hand in the second half. While I haven't seen this movie in years (I know, saddening......) I can still remember the fight and how it played out. Godzilla was really just trying to mess with Kong. In universe, it was because Kong got super powerful after the strike. Out of universe, it was because A) The Japanese wanted to see Godzilla winning for most of the time and B) because Kong was supposed to be Frankenstein (most people know that story, so I'm not going to explain). JAGzilla has it stated perfectly, by the way.
TK's resident Titanosaurus super-fan

Maybe Minilla was some mutation inside a Kamacarus' ootheca and that's why they attacked..... Maybe Minilla ISN'T the Son of Godzilla! He's some weird Kamacari that Godzilla felt bad for!

..... Nope, the other guys would never accept that..........

I don't know even know what a he-ba is......

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BIG GUY!!!!!!!!

Beef Bigshot
Xilien Halfling

Post by Beef Bigshot »

As i have said before, i dont think godzilla was really taking the fight seriously. I dont even think the super charged Kong hurt him either, hence why he is still clapping and "laughing" even to the end when he gets pushed off the mountain.

poor Kong, he will never know that Godzilla never really gave a shit
Resized Image

three
Keizer

Post by three »

he - ba, get to a computer and view this movie, NOW.

second, there was alot of changing up of styles in this movie so Godzilla's "style", as in one particular manner of fighting, does not exist in the film. you see him go from dominant (where he had pretty much decided he was going to beat Kong to death with his tail, which you'd later see King Ghidorah try to do in the heisei film by jumping repeatedly on Godzilla) and running when he was at a disadvantage (which was what led to his throwing Kong down the hill, if i remember right).

hiding behind that building was just a means to set up destroying it, since Godzilla clearly didn't have inhibitions about going right for Kong and visa versa (neither appeared to be defensive at that point). anyway, you see Godzilla go through several different tactics before finally drawing the stalemate. the reason it doesn't seem to make any sense over time is because he had to keep changing since no strategy to deal with Kong worked.
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®
axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - bitch in space.

Tapkaara
Monarch Researcher

Post by Tapkaara »

It's because Godzilla has a brain "about this size."
"Music should never show disdain for its audience."
- Akira Ifukube
My website, the OFFICIAL English language website about Akira Ifukube: http://www.akiraifukube.org

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

Chelenkov light? What can that mean?

three
Keizer

Post by three »

Living Corpse wrote:When you're fighting something that catches on to what you are doing you don't keep doing it, you switch tactics.

just quote me next time :D ;) :lol: 8-)
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

three
Keizer

Post by three »

Living Corpse wrote:Mines shorter and sweeter to the point. ;)

yea, and has a colon ( this thing : for all you gutterminds) phobia, but i digress :P

he-ba
Interpol Agent
Location: Sitting home and chatting with my best friend....... Titanosaurus!!

Post by he-ba »

Sorry three, I saw this at a friends house, and they talked the whole time! I really want to this one again, I haven't had a chance and I sigh every time I hear the name!

.....*Sigh*
TK's resident Titanosaurus super-fan

Maybe Minilla was some mutation inside a Kamacarus' ootheca and that's why they attacked..... Maybe Minilla ISN'T the Son of Godzilla! He's some weird Kamacari that Godzilla felt bad for!

..... Nope, the other guys would never accept that..........

I don't know even know what a he-ba is......

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BIG GUY!!!!!!!!