Lost Project: Godzilla vs. The Devil (1978)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Dash 7
Monarch Researcher

Lost Project: Godzilla vs. The Devil (1978)

Post by Dash 7 »

(Yes I realize I'm going all over the place so what?)

This would have been a very cool project in my opinion. I wonder how Teruyoshi Nakano would have portrayed Satan. I would choose Riichiro Manabe to compose the score because of his past horror movie scores such as the Bloodthirsty Trilogy and Crest Of The Wolf.
Official Tokusatsu TV expert of TK.

ThunderScore
Monarch Researcher

Re: Lost Project discussion: Godzilla vs. The Devil(1978)

Post by ThunderScore »

IIRC, the plot of this sounded a lot like what happened in the TERROR OF MECHAGODZILLA TV version prologue...

HayesAJones
Keizer

Post by HayesAJones »

Seemed a bit weird. I mean... Godzilla fighting Satan?

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

I think this would have been awesome. The concept is very intriguing, and its weirdness would make a nice addition to the Showa series.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

Godzilla 1995 wrote:The idea, to me, seemed just too weird. I never really liked ANY of the lost projects, and this isn't an exception. it's just too weird of an idea to me.
You've got to admit, Godzilla vs. Gigan and Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla had monsters who were just as oddball.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.

Gib money.

Toxic Toast
Monsterland Worker

Post by Toxic Toast »

^ C'mon, a cyborg or a robot built by aliens is a lot easier to fit into Toho's monster movies than a rebellious fallen angel.

"Before man existed, God kicked him out of heaven. This summer, Godzilla will kick his ass."
Mothra's promise: "As long as you remain friends of the the Earth, then Mothra will remain your ally."

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

Toxic Toast wrote:^ C'mon, a cyborg or a robot built by aliens is a lot easier to fit into Toho's monster movies than a rebellious fallen angel.
Gigan = A mechanical chicken with a buzzsaw on its belly and scythe-like arms.
Mechagodzilla = A stiff robot who can move faster and more easily in a suit that resembles Godzilla.
ScrumpBump wrote:

Gib money.

HayesAJones
Keizer

Post by HayesAJones »

Showa Gyaos wrote:
Toxic Toast wrote:^ C'mon, a cyborg or a robot built by aliens is a lot easier to fit into Toho's monster movies than a rebellious fallen angel.
Mechagodzilla = A stiff robot who can move faster and more easily in a suit that resembles Godzilla.
Satan= a religious figure that embodies wickedness, deceit, and general antagonism

I'm not seeing it. That's like if you had Jesus fight King Ghidorah.

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

HayesAJones wrote:
Showa Gyaos wrote:
Satan= a religious figure that embodies wickedness, deceit, and general antagonism

Godzilla = An indirect symbol of American warfare, and its consequences. :P
ScrumpBump wrote:

Gib money.

HayesAJones
Keizer

Post by HayesAJones »

Showa Gyaos wrote:
HayesAJones wrote:
Showa Gyaos wrote:Gigan = A mechanical chicken with a buzzsaw on its belly and scythe-like arms.

Godzilla = An indirect symbol of American warfare, and its consequences. :P
Godzilla is a movie character. Satan was in the freakin' Bible. There's a big difference there.

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

HayesAJones wrote:Godzilla is a movie character. Satan was in the freakin' Bible. There's a big difference there.
And, thanks to movie magic, Godzilla could actually STAND AGAINST him.
ScrumpBump wrote:

Gib money.

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

^ SG78 was a hoax.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

IMO, this is the dumbest idea out of all the aborted projects from the 70's, by far. Very glad it was never seriously considered.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

SuperSaiyan4Godzilla said in a topic on the older boards that a Demon Overlord would've been a more logical enemy than Satan himself. If it were made, this is how I'd want it.
ScrumpBump wrote:

Gib money.

SuperMonsterZero
Monarch Researcher

Post by SuperMonsterZero »

Hellspawn28 wrote:The movie seem like a odd idea, but I'm gald it was never made. The concept was odd, but I did like the idea of Godzilla fighting other monsters send by Satan to wipe out the Earth. I'm pretty sure Satan in the american version will likely change to something like "Hades" or something like that.
Um, but wasn't it the Americans who came up with the idea?
「大人の世界に神様があるように、子供の世界にミニラ大明神があってもおかしくないでしょう」

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

SuperMonsterZero wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:The movie seem like a odd idea, but I'm gald it was never made. The concept was odd, but I did like the idea of Godzilla fighting other monsters send by Satan to wipe out the Earth. I'm pretty sure Satan in the american version will likely change to something like "Hades" or something like that.
Um, but wasn't it the Americans who came up with the idea?
Technically, yes. Henry Saperstein proposed the idea.
ScrumpBump wrote:

Gib money.

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

Hellspawn28 wrote:Really because I remember reading in a book once (I can't remember the name for it) that Spacegodzilla film was anounced in the 1970's by Tomoyuki Tanaka, but the idea never got that far. Seeing that this topic is for GvsD not SG78 then there should be a thread for the Showa SpaceGodzilla.
A topic in the cutting room article once existed on TK, but it's gone. Perhaps someone should ask Arbok.
Inferno Rodan wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5u79XMo7uw

Best fan-made Godzilla movie trailer ever.
I've watched that one so many times, it gives me goosebumps! :lol:
ScrumpBump wrote:

Gib money.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Godzilla is a mortal creature, so a fight with Satan would be a difficult one. Besides, religion can be a touchy subject with people. I could go with the three monsters being sent by the devil, or Godzilla fighting some giant devil dog.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

SuperMonsterZero
Monarch Researcher

Post by SuperMonsterZero »

edgaguirus wrote:Godzilla is a mortal creature, so a fight with Satan would be a difficult one. Besides, religion can be a touchy subject with people. I could go with the three monsters being sent by the devil, or Godzilla fighting some giant devil dog.
Those people need to shut up. :P

I'm religious, and I think it would have been awesome (although certainly strange) for Godzilla to fight Satan. I don't even see what the deal is. It's not like Satan is the good guy, right?

The biggest problem I would have with such a movie is that it's such a bizzare idea. Just throwing Satan into the Toho universe is kinda weird.
「大人の世界に神様があるように、子供の世界にミニラ大明神があってもおかしくないでしょう」

HedorahLives
Monsterland Worker

Post by HedorahLives »

Hellspawn28 wrote:
JVM wrote:^ SG78 was a hoax.
Really because I remember reading in a book once (I can't remember the name for it) that Spacegodzilla film was anounced in the 1970's by Tomoyuki Tanaka, but the idea never got that far. Seeing that this topic is for GvsD not SG78 then there should be a thread for the Showa SpaceGodzilla.
I could swear I've read an article from pre-Heisei era that mentioned Spacegodzilla as a possible "in limbo" project, along with Godzilla vs the Devil. At the very least, the name of Spacegodzilla was floating around for a while, but I doubt we would've gotten the same exact kaiju from the 1994 movie. Heisei Spacegodzilla is pretty influenced by video games from the late 80s and early 90s. He's almost like a Final Fantasy boss.