Blood in the Showa films.... Too much?

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Dillyziller
Terminated
Terminated

Blood in the Showa films.... Too much?

Post by Dillyziller »

I want to know your opinion is on the amount of blood in the Showa films. Anyone else think it was just too much? Sometimes I feel like they just wanted a lot of blood but didn't know when to use it. I dunno if i'm the only one who feels the same but what do you'll think?
^This post in sexually offensive.

20th Century Boy
Futurian

Re: Blood in the Showa films.... Too much?

Post by 20th Century Boy »

^ Yeah, this. If anything, the Showa Gamera series was "too much" when it came to blood and gore.

shippersdreamer
Interpol Agent

Post by shippersdreamer »

Draglord wrote:The Showa Godzilla series was relatively tame in violence/gore in comparison to other toku shows and movies at that time. Ultraman (Muruchi getting torn to pieces), Kamen Rider (A kaijin getting stabbed in the eye and later on decapitated), and Gamera got away with things a lot more gruesome than what was shown in some of the Showa Godzilla movies. I thought the violence/gore levels in the Showa G films were fine. -shrugs-
I'm gonna have to agree. Showa Gamera got away with a LOT more than what Showa Godzilla did.
"Look out, it's the most fearsome monster on the planet! Gezora..."

Baragon

Post by Baragon »

Godzilla vs. Gigan was the first to have Godzilla bleed in any movie.. Of course it only had a few scenes with the blood,
*Godzilla's shoulder, and head*, Godzilla vs. Megalon had blood, but only in stock footage, and the most amount of blood was in Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla. I dont think there was any in Terror of Mechagodzilla.. but honestly i thought it was too much..

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

"Too much" according to what standard?
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

You object to the blood fountain from Godzilla's neck? G vs MG does have the most blood, but it's a brutal fight when you think about it. Showa Godzilla's blood and gore are insignificant when you look at other kaiju in film and tv of the time. Guiron decapitated and sliced up a Space Gyaos, and the only Showa Godzilla monster to be decapitated by MG. In one Ultraman, Ultraman used his sharp head crest to cut a monster's throat.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

I thought it had the right amount. It's memorable and even brutal, but not WTF/mean-spirited-to-the-point-of-traumatizing like what the Gamera films gave us. As I understand it, Haruo Nakajima didn't care for its inclusion in GvsG and left the series because of it. Or I may be way off base.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

H-Man wrote:As I understand it, Haruo Nakajima didn't care for its inclusion in GvsG and left the series because of it. Or I may be way off base.
That's not what it was at all. Nakajima was getting older and didn't have the passion to go on after Tsuburaya died.

shippersdreamer
Interpol Agent

Post by shippersdreamer »

Living Corpse wrote:Actually if we're going by monsters in general then one could argue Hedorah had the most blood since he is torn apart.
But did he actually BLEED? I mean Hedorah is just some...pollution blob monster. I'm not too sure if it can bleed at all.
"Look out, it's the most fearsome monster on the planet! Gezora..."

Shadow
Futurian

Post by Shadow »

To me there's no such thing as too much blood.
But the blood spilled in the Showa films was rather low.
Nothing says getting your ass kicked more than bleeding like a butchered hog.
Half as long, twice as bright.
Resized ImageResized Image
Greatest Advertisement of all time.
Greatest Parody Video of all time.
TK's Resident Master Crazy Narrator and Attack on Titan fan

Terrier
JXSDF Technician

Post by Terrier »

Living Corpse wrote:Hell Ultraman has a monster rip off another monster lower jaws.
I remember watching a video of it once when sombody here linked it, but I can't find it anymore. Any help?

ILL GREEN
Gotengo Officer

Post by ILL GREEN »

Showa Godzilla has hardly the gore. Ultraman and Gamera has gore galore though. I like that Toho uses red blood for Godzilla.

Red King is the most brutal, he rips Pegila's wing off and threw it at him for good measure.

Beef Bigshot
Xilien Halfling

Post by Beef Bigshot »

Terrier wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:Hell Ultraman has a monster rip off another monster lower jaws.
I remember watching a video of it once when sombody here linked it, but I can't find it anymore. Any help?
im still traumatized from that
Resized Image

Terrier
JXSDF Technician

Post by Terrier »

ILL GREEN wrote:Red King is the most brutal, he rips Pegila's wing off and threw it at him for good measure.
http://mechagodzillajunior.blogspot.com ... -king.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WY_DoJmHQUs

Beef Bigshot wrote:
Terrier wrote:
im still traumatized from that
I THINK it involved Red King, in the middle of the mountains; does anybody know at least wich monsters were involved?

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

That was Doragory ripping off Muruchi's jaw in Ultraman Ace. And it was glorious.

http://gifsound.com/?gif=fc05.deviantar ... mGcHU&s=28

Terrier
JXSDF Technician

Post by Terrier »

Space Hunter M wrote:That was Doragory ripping off Muruchi's jaw in Ultraman Ace. And it was glorious.

http://gifsound.com/?gif=fc05.deviantar ... mGcHU&s=28
Thanks, he sure earned the "gory" part of his name: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qd3HxBLtTeI

schvanzbass
Interpol Agent

Post by schvanzbass »

^^^^This, holy crap. I've never watched any Ultraman but SHIT. It's not gruesome in an Evil Dead or Dawn of the Dead way but still. Pretty intense for 70's television.
I'm gonna start doing horror/sci-fi/kaiju/exploitation film reviews, check it out won't you?

http://www.facebook.com/michaeljayreviews

Kubo
Sazer

Post by Kubo »

Terrier wrote:Thanks, he sure earned the "gory" part of his name: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qd3HxBLtTeI
For the kids, they say...
Giving myself brain damage wishing too hard upon a star.

Twitter: @Dawn_of_the_DED
If you follow me on there, shoot me a DM so I know you're from the forums.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

In Japanese culture, things like that weren't as frowned on. While violent, it wasn't the concern that it would be in the U.S.

I remember an Ultraman fight where our hero cuts a monster in half, and then we see the body halves float to the surface of a lake.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

he-ba
Interpol Agent
Location: Sitting home and chatting with my best friend....... Titanosaurus!!

Post by he-ba »

ILL GREEN wrote:Showa Godzilla has hardly the gore. Ultraman and Gamera has gore galore though. I like that Toho uses red blood for Godzilla.

Red King is the most brutal, he rips Pegila's wing off and threw it at him for good measure.
Red King is pretty gruesome, although Ultraman beats him even before his color timer even blinks. When he ripped Pegila's wing, I remember shocked as a little boy that that would even happen in Ultraman. And then he kills Pigmon (correct me if I'm wrong, I always confuse Q with Man), which traumatized me, even though you see him for a whole 30 seconds total in the episode. He was so adorable! (From I was a child.....)
TK's resident Titanosaurus super-fan

Maybe Minilla was some mutation inside a Kamacarus' ootheca and that's why they attacked..... Maybe Minilla ISN'T the Son of Godzilla! He's some weird Kamacari that Godzilla felt bad for!

..... Nope, the other guys would never accept that..........

I don't know even know what a he-ba is......

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BIG GUY!!!!!!!!