Blood in the Showa films.... Too much?

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
ILL GREEN
Gotengo Officer

Re: Blood in the Showa films.... Too much?

Post by ILL GREEN »

Yeah definitely happened in Ultraman, Q was in b/w. Never had the experience to watch Ultraman as a kid for they never aired them during my time except for the UK version that was based on the SNES game and that sucked. But I can sense the trauma for a young lad.

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

ILL GREEN wrote:Never had the experience to watch Ultraman as a kid for they never aired them during my time except for the UK version that was based on the SNES game and that sucked. But I can sense the trauma for a young lad.
Are you referring to Ultraman: Toward the Future (aka Ultraman Great)?

Once in a while one of the networks would play the first episode, but that was it. The TV guide claimed that one of the networks played it sometime after midnight, but every time I set my VCR to record it, it recorded a paid program instead. Same thing happened when the TV guide said that Ultraman would come on at 6 a.m.

ILL GREEN
Gotengo Officer

Post by ILL GREEN »

H-Man wrote:
ILL GREEN wrote:Never had the experience to watch Ultraman as a kid for they never aired them during my time except for the UK version that was based on the SNES game and that sucked. But I can sense the trauma for a young lad.
Are you referring to Ultraman: Toward the Future (aka Ultraman Great)?

Once in a while one of the networks would play the first episode, but that was it. The TV guide claimed that one of the networks played it sometime after midnight, but every time I set my VCR to record it, it recorded a paid program instead. Same thing happened when the TV guide said that Ultraman would come on at 6 a.m.
Yes, Toward the Future was it. It was shown at 5am, all the monsters in the SNES make up the episodes. It was mostly about an alien extract in the soil and whenever something touches it, they become a giant kaiju of themselves and Ultraman blasts the shit out of it for the final scene and for every episode. It was like a thunder hadouken type of energy ball.

three
Keizer

Post by three »

schvanzbass wrote:^^^^This, holy crap. I've never watched any Ultraman but SHIT. It's not gruesome in an Evil Dead or Dawn of the Dead way but still. Pretty intense for 70's television.

yea, i actually felt kinda grossed out. that was a silent hill type of thing to have the jaw all the way down your body torn right the fuck off. damn. then the leg too? i mean all this over an accident. jesus christ. i guess now i'll have to go watch ultraman because that was interesting.

gamera had tons of blood. it never did it harm IMHO. Godzilla hardly had any blood, which like gamera that didn't hurt the films at all.
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®
axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - bitch in space.

Irys X
Interpol Agent

Post by Irys X »

Yeah, I've never seen any kid's show with that kind of gore. I mean, I thought the blood spouts in Godzilla vs Gigan and G vs Mechagodzilla were bad. Then the Gamera films put those to shame, and I thought I saw the most gruesome monster death with Yongary (anal bleeding; that's just nasty), but damn. That wasn't just his jaw, but his whole friggin' chest!
My Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla stop motion movie -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fshhA8BWuLw

Rodan vs. F-22 Raptor - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9q3V02iy_Xw

Wrath of Mechagodzilla - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4xHP8C_vWw

ILL GREEN
Gotengo Officer

Post by ILL GREEN »

In my opinion, it deserved it. His roar was annoying.

he-ba
Interpol Agent
Location: Sitting home and chatting with my best friend....... Titanosaurus!!

Post by he-ba »

Who, Yonggary or Gamera?
TK's resident Titanosaurus super-fan

Maybe Minilla was some mutation inside a Kamacarus' ootheca and that's why they attacked..... Maybe Minilla ISN'T the Son of Godzilla! He's some weird Kamacari that Godzilla felt bad for!

..... Nope, the other guys would never accept that..........

I don't know even know what a he-ba is......

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BIG GUY!!!!!!!!

three
Keizer

Post by three »

Personally I thought the yanking off of the leg was one of the more hilarious kinda "wtf" moments in kaiju films. There was no discernible purpose. He's just like "oh shit you little bitch gimme that leg!" And only THEN does it die. :lol:
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®
axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - bitch in space.

he-ba
Interpol Agent

Post by he-ba »

What about human blood? I don't think it's too bad in Godzilla, but I feel it's the same as the monsters in Ultraman- Ultra-gory. Thoughts?

Maybe Minilla was some mutation inside a Kamacarus' ootheca and that's why they attacked..... Maybe Minilla ISN'T the Son of Godzilla! He's some weird Kamacari that Godzilla felt bad for!

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

We were always surprised at how bloody Kenji Sahara gets when Kumayama gives him a beating in Mothra vs. Godzilla.

And then there were the black aterial sprays in Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla, which were bizarre.

he-ba
Interpol Agent

Post by he-ba »

In Ultraman: A SFX Series I remember there being some human blood, especially Hayata's face

ILL GREEN
Gotengo Officer

Post by ILL GREEN »

he-ba wrote:Who, Yonggary or Gamera?
The one with the missing jaw :mrgreen:

Terrier
JXSDF Technician

Post by Terrier »

H-Man wrote:We were always surprised at how bloody Kenji Sahara gets when Kumayama gives him a beating in Mothra vs. Godzilla.

And then there were the black aterial sprays in Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla, which were bizarre.
Also 'Destroy All Monsters', when the guy takes away the earrings that were mind-controlling the lady.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

The beaten up Tarahata had it worse than Yoko, in my opinion. Kubayama was brutal on him, but you can't blame Kubyama for being angry.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

he-ba
Interpol Agent

Post by he-ba »

Or when they took the mind control chip out of the guys ear in DAM. I was shocked tht they actually showed surgery!

BARAGONBREH
G-Grasper

Post by BARAGONBREH »

I watched the neck blood-spurting scene as a four year old. It totally ruined my life. :roll:
Shadowfyre wrote:Everything you say sucks all the time.
gottatalktothefake wrote:I’m kinda disappointed, I just expected to LOVE it. I just thought it was an alright 6/10.

he-ba
Interpol Agent

Post by he-ba »

This isn't bloody, but the scenes in Hedorah when the people are skeletons........ I couldn't sleep for 5 nights straight

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

They also showed surgery in ToMG.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

he-ba
Interpol Agent

Post by he-ba »

edgaguirus wrote:They also showed surgery in ToMG.
Oooooo that was the worst

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

..Or the best, depending on your views.