Just Realized How King of the Monsters Makes No Sense

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Re: Just Realized How King of the Monsters Makes No Sense

Post by Space Hunter M »

Huan_of_Valinor wrote:after all, even trains cannot survive Angilas... or Gigantis. or whatever goji is supposed to be called in that "Dub"
He could lift up an ENTIRE train car and swing it as if it were a toy!

Huan_of_Valinor
G-Force Personnel

Post by Huan_of_Valinor »

he BREATHES fire, EATS fire, FIRE is a part of his MAKEUP.

but we were able to stop him because the Oxygen Destroyer destroyed all the oxygen
Gojirawars 03 wrote: The Giant Condor is a blessing upon this Earth, however. He's easily the most important and most powerful kaiju in the franchise. so powerful that Godzilla is helpless against his power, and pleads for mercy, which the gracious Condor grants him. I mean, even the editor wasn't able to show a single shot of the Condor onscreen for more than half a second, because no-one can handle that much sheer power for more than a second.

tymon
Futurian

Post by tymon »

^Well hey, fire can't burn without oxygen. But then again, it can't burn underwater either. :lol:
JAGzilla wrote:And then there was The Giant Condor. He...seemed very dedicated to what he was doing?

Darth Nightmaricus
Yojimbo

Post by Darth Nightmaricus »

Is the edit basically Gojira with Raymond Burr's scenes added in?

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

Darth Nightmaricus wrote:Is the edit basically Gojira with Raymond Burr's scenes added in?
"I think that's pretty obvious, only why don't you?"

three
Keizer

Post by three »

Darth Nightmaricus wrote:Is the edit basically Gojira with Raymond Burr's scenes added in?

in a nutshell with some other differences.
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®
axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - bitch in space.

Darth Nightmaricus
Yojimbo

Post by Darth Nightmaricus »

Space Hunter M wrote:
"I think that's pretty obvious, only why don't you?"

That's kind of a rude attitude for you.

tymon
Futurian

Post by tymon »

^Especially considering that it's not just "Gojira" but with added scenes. To answer your question, not only are Burr's scenes added, but there are numerous other edits and alterations including jumps in time (example: the first scene of the American version is set right after the destruction of Tokyo, and the rest of the story is told in flash-back with Burr's narration, kind of a noir-ish set-up). It's definitely worth checking out, in fact, there are two aspects of the story that actually work better than in the Japanese version (I don't wanna spoil em for you though). But the original version is still better overall, of course...
JAGzilla wrote:And then there was The Giant Condor. He...seemed very dedicated to what he was doing?

Mecha-SpaceGhidorah
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mecha-SpaceGhidorah »

tymon wrote:^Especially considering that it's not just "Gojira" but with added scenes. To answer your question, not only are Burr's scenes added, but there are numerous other edits and alterations including jumps in time (example: the first scene of the American version is set right after the destruction of Tokyo, and the rest of the story is told in flash-back with Burr's narration, kind of a noir-ish set-up). It's definitely worth checking out, in fact, there are two aspects of the story that actually work better than in the Japanese version (I don't wanna spoil em for you though). But the original version is still better overall, of course...
I'll keep this spoilers so as not to ruin it for Darth.

What two things do you feel work better? I think I know one,
Spoiler:
not showing Serizawa burning his research, so his noble sacrifice has more emotional impact
, but I can't remember what the other might be off of the top of my head.
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make its own judgments.
~ Zefram Cochrane (c. 2073)

Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Rodan »

Mecha-SpaceGhidorah wrote:What two things do you feel work better? I think I know one, ..., but I can't remember what the other might be off of the top of my head.
I can't really agree that
Spoiler:
not showing Serizawa burning his research improves the film. You could argue it makes his suicide a bit more of a shock, but as far as you know in the Japanese version, he's still just burning the research so he can refuse to continue it (Emiko's even with him there, if I recall correctly). To me, it's a really gut-wrenching scene, watching this man have to throw away his life's work just because it had immediate application as a weapon. It's similar to the position Oppenheimer found himself in after completing the A-Bomb as well, refusing to continue the work over moral issues, and subsequently damaging his career to the point where he could no longer be involved in projects he deserved.

Mecha-SpaceGhidorah
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mecha-SpaceGhidorah »

^I can certainly see that, but I can also see why
Spoiler:
not seeing him destroy his work would remove that bit of foreshadowing and make the whole more emotional
. Still curious about what worked better in your mind tymon. Do please respond when you see this. :)
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make its own judgments.
~ Zefram Cochrane (c. 2073)