Question about Godzillas breath

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Godsteigman
Monsterland Worker

Question about Godzillas breath

Post by Godsteigman »

Do you think Godzilla brushed his teeth ?

No that's not the real question :)

I was noticing in the Showa series that Godzilla's breath was destructive in destroying cities, ships, but when he fought Kong, Mothra, Rodan and Ghidorah it was pretty much useless...Does anyone know why that was ?

I mean, if someone breathes fire on you, shouldn't you burn up ? His breath should've caused Kong's fur to burn as well as Mothra's Wing and Rodan's face, wouldn't it ? They all should have caught on fire, shouldnt they ?

The breath I felt was the difference maker. For some reason it wasnt utilized correctly against the monsters.

I did feel this was corrected in the Heisei series

he-ba
Interpol Agent
Location: Sitting home and chatting with my best friend....... Titanosaurus!!

Re: Question about Godzillas breath

Post by he-ba »

Well...... it burns and smoke rises, but nothing other than that. Just burns. No flames, just a big black or brown spot. Usually it goes away because they want to keep the suit/prop in shape, but that's the real world reason. It's probably because, like Rodan and even himself, they are impervious to the military, and they should be able to withstand it. Also, back in the 50's and 60's most buildings and boats were built using wood. Even if it was made of metal, there is bound to be something combustible in there somewhere.
TK's resident Titanosaurus super-fan

Maybe Minilla was some mutation inside a Kamacarus' ootheca and that's why they attacked..... Maybe Minilla ISN'T the Son of Godzilla! He's some weird Kamacari that Godzilla felt bad for!

..... Nope, the other guys would never accept that..........

I don't know even know what a he-ba is......

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BIG GUY!!!!!!!!

ILL GREEN
Gotengo Officer

Post by ILL GREEN »

Same reason why Gojira doesn't burn his tonsils when he flames, they're products of radiation.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Godsteigman wrote:I was noticing in the Showa series that Godzilla's breath was destructive in destroying cities, ships, but when he fought Kong, Mothra, Rodan and Ghidorah it was pretty much useless...Does anyone know why that was ?
Because it's dramatic to see the monster's breath destroying buildings, whereas the weapon having the equivalent effect against other monsters would simply have made the fights shorter and less interesting to watch.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

he-ba
Interpol Agent

Post by he-ba »

Godsteigman wrote:
.....I did feel this was corrected in the Heisei series.....

Yes! It does you're right! But sadly to the point where Biollante burns in a matter of minutes... I don't know why I love that movie so much, but Biollante's scenes are just way too short. I wish the battle was more like the 60's where Godzilla is a little more physical and they did a lot more damage to each other. Yes I get the "she's a plant" and "Godzilla is more of a message and more massive in the Heisei" but that's just the way I feel :| Now back to his Breath..... I feel it is a little to animated and thin for the Heisei. Does this make sense? Like in the scene in ROG when G blows up all the tanks on the shore...... it's thinner than a popsicle stick until the end where it hits the ground! And yet THAT demolishes Biollante, but the 60's ray can't hurt RODAN!?!?! WHY?!?!?!? and sometimes, there are SPARKLES IN IT!!!!! WHY SPARKLES!?!??!?! HE"S NOT FAIRY MOTHRA!!!!!!! WHY SFX PEOPLE!?!?!? WHY!?!?!?!

Sorry, just had to get all that out.

Maybe Minilla was some mutation inside a Kamacarus' ootheca and that's why they attacked..... Maybe Minilla ISN'T the Son of Godzilla! He's some weird Kamacari that Godzilla felt bad for!

Ookondru99
Monarch Researcher

Post by Ookondru99 »

If i remember correctly both Kong and Mothra adult started smoking when hit by the ray, it was even the turning point in the first battle between mothra and godzilla when goji manaqged to hit mothra with it. Rodan didn't seem affected, but hes been noted at having incredible durability against a number of things, goji's breath being on of them
TK's Resident Red Bamboo :destoroyah:

Stevo_1985
JXSDF Technician

Post by Stevo_1985 »

Godzillas breath + giant condor = wonder roast chicken.
Godzillas breath + rodans head = rodan is not amused.

I guess you could say this for most Showa monsters. KG's gravity beams would level a city in mere seconds but a shot to g's crotch and he gets an itch.

Sorry Kiryu
#Notmymechagodzilla

Beef Bigshot
Xilien Halfling

Post by Beef Bigshot »

either all the buildings in japan are loaded with dynamite that goes off when exposed to atomic breath or the hair on kongs body is insulated with super heat resistant material.........probably both

showa series isnt to consistent.....heck, the heisei series isnt consistent either. one moment godzilla is decapitating monsters with atomic breath, the next, he can harm a tower...........
Resized Image

shippersdreamer
Interpol Agent

Post by shippersdreamer »

My question is, is it a beam breath, like in other Godzilla films, or is it more like a misty fire breath, like in some portrayals of his breath..
"Look out, it's the most fearsome monster on the planet! Gezora..."

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

shippersdreamer wrote:My question is, is it a beam breath, like in other Godzilla films, or is it more like a misty fire breath, like in some portrayals of his breath..
Exactly as you indicate, sometimes it's one, sometimes it's the other. There's no definitive answer.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

shippersdreamer
Interpol Agent

Post by shippersdreamer »

eabaker wrote:
shippersdreamer wrote:My question is, is it a beam breath, like in other Godzilla films, or is it more like a misty fire breath, like in some portrayals of his breath..
Exactly as you indicate, sometimes it's one, sometimes it's the other. There's no definitive answer.
Hm..I wonder why that's the case?
"Look out, it's the most fearsome monster on the planet! Gezora..."

he-ba
Interpol Agent

Post by he-ba »

It's really just the way they portrayed the "fire"

Either with a smoke machine or Animation. It really depends