The Puppet Thread

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
he-ba
Interpol Agent
Location: Sitting home and chatting with my best friend....... Titanosaurus!!

The Puppet Thread

Post by he-ba »

I really don't care if it's a puppet or prop, but what is your least favorite?

I really hate Showa Rodan's in Ghidorah....... especially the fight scene.....
TK's resident Titanosaurus super-fan

Maybe Minilla was some mutation inside a Kamacarus' ootheca and that's why they attacked..... Maybe Minilla ISN'T the Son of Godzilla! He's some weird Kamacari that Godzilla felt bad for!

..... Nope, the other guys would never accept that..........

I don't know even know what a he-ba is......

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BIG GUY!!!!!!!!

he-ba
Interpol Agent

Re: The Puppet Thread

Post by he-ba »

Andrew... the question... ANSWER IT!!!!

Maybe Minilla was some mutation inside a Kamacarus' ootheca and that's why they attacked..... Maybe Minilla ISN'T the Son of Godzilla! He's some weird Kamacari that Godzilla felt bad for!

ILL GREEN
Gotengo Officer

Post by ILL GREEN »

I least liked the hand puppets in King Kong vs Godzilla fighting.

MustafaDaisenso
Monarch Researcher

Post by MustafaDaisenso »

The puppets in Ghidorah are the straight up worst. The Godzilla puppet is atrocious, misshapen and silly, and the Rodan puppet is completely out of proportion to how the real suit looks.

People love to hate on GRA and, among other things, its puppets, but I think that the Godzilla puppet looks pretty frightening and creepy, even if it doesn't exactly match the suit. In any case, they're better than Ghidorah's puppets.
"I'm a freelance reporter, but... you could call me a scandal hunter hahahaha…"
Check out my YouTube channel for restored Toku trailers in HD
Rodan 1.85:1 US Reconstruction Thread

20th Century Boy
Futurian

Post by 20th Century Boy »

I hate to say it, but the puppets in Gojira are the worst, in my opinion. *Dodges tomatoes*

I actually like the puppets in Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster. They were quite funny and it worked for the comedic elements of the Godzilla vs. Rodan battle.

he-ba
Interpol Agent

Post by he-ba »

The one thing I hate about the puppets in Gojira are the eyes. They actually make him look stupid and muppet-like in a sense. If you look closely at a picture of his reveal, his eyes are looking in two opposite directions (in science, it's called Strabismus... never knew that until now)!

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

The puppetry in Rodan is very well done and matches the full-body suit used for wideshots quite well. Can't say the same entirely for the flying props though, but the effects staff tried.

20th Century Boy
Futurian

Post by 20th Century Boy »

Indeed, the 1956 Rodan puppet was probably the best Showa puppet, now that I think about it.

Gothicserpent
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gothicserpent »

The 1954 Godzilla puppet. Oh god, was that thing misshapen.....
"HAY ANGUIRUS"
"WHADDA WANT?"
"SUMPTIN FUNNEH GOIN ON, YOU BETTAH CHECK!"
"OKAY"
GTU wrote:There are so many concept versions of Bagan they could give him his own toyline. That's why I'm banking on a Monsterarts sub-line called SH Baganarts.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

I love it how, instead of a straight up puppet discussion thread or (God forbid) a favorites thread, we get an entire thread about tearing these things apart.

I feel sorry for these poor puppets sometimes. And personally, I think attacking any effect in the original Godzilla is pretty low, considering they were doing most of this stuff for the first time.

he-ba
Interpol Agent

Post by he-ba »

Rodan's puppet is really good. They probably are the best of the best. It sad they had to redo the suit and the puppet in Ghidorah..... I really do hate that thing....... *shudder*

ilovegodzillaheba
Young Farmer

Post by ilovegodzillaheba »

I'd have to agree with he-ba. I think Rodan's puppet is high quality

aznboi64
Ronin

Post by aznboi64 »

I'm not answering the question. Michael.
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

he-ba
Interpol Agent

Post by he-ba »

First off, aznboi, don't say my first name on this forum.

Second, I want to bring this back to life, as I see the people who did post enjoy it. Comment. Now.

danyull
Ronin

Post by danyull »

The worst are from King Kong vs Godzilla, especially since you have such a dynamic, suit action fight scene going on, full of tumbles, and joints that bend and move, sharply followed by a campfire puppet show, with a tree line stage. The two puppets bounce around each other, and I'm surprised we didn't hear Honda saying "Take that! And that!" from off camera, as he bashed the two action figures together.

he-ba
Interpol Agent

Post by he-ba »

I haven't gotten the chance to see that movie since ...... a long time ago. My stories on the Godzilla's fighting style GvKK thread in the Showa Era, so if you have any interest in that (although you probably don't at all) it's there.

But if I recall (though it's most likely wrong) those scenes were short. Nothing in comparison to GtTHM, although I never had a problem with Godzilla's in that movie.

danyull
Ronin

Post by danyull »

he-ba wrote:I haven't gotten the chance to see that movie since ...... a long time ago. My stories on the Godzilla's fighting style GvKK thread in the Showa Era, so if you have any interest in that (although you probably don't at all) it's there.

But if I recall (though it's most likely wrong) those scenes were short. Nothing in comparison to GtTHM, although I never had a problem with Godzilla's in that movie.
Oh, yeah. Those scenes are really short. They're just ridiculously jarring.

Grimlock#1
Monsterland Worker

Post by Grimlock#1 »

I thought that the puppet from Godzilla 1954 looked decent, aside from the hill scene of him roaring at Emiko and the shot of his head from in front of the bird cage. I thought the GRA puppet of Godzilla was pretty neat with all the teeth jutting out, but that's probably because I didn't really like the head the suit used. The exception for the GRA puppet is the one used in the scene where Godzilla blasts Anguirus in the face with his Atomic Ray. I don't know what the hell was up with that puppet's look. Wish I had a picture of it to show on here. The Kong puppets used in both KKVG and KKE were godawful and so ugly to look at.
"Operator, give me the number for 911!"
Space Hunter M wrote:Ah, you and your corns. Great. When you and the MUTO meet, be sure you tell him all about your corn problems.
"MECHAGGGGGGGGGGGGG!"

BioBagan
Samurai

Post by BioBagan »

I never thought Toho had the art of puppetry quite bucked down. The moments can never match up with what suit acting has to offer.
I don't know , they always look kind of off to me:
Clearly after G84' they got it right:
Last edited by BioBagan on Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

he-ba
Interpol Agent

Post by he-ba »

Did they ever use the puppets in stock footage? I don't think so, but I, like I always say, could be wrong.......