Godzilla Raids Again - Japanese Version Restoration Project

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Godzilla Raids Again - Japanese Version Restoration Project

Post by Space Hunter M »

Coming soon to selected torrent and file sharing sites near YOU!

Okay, we all know how crappy the 2001 R2 transfer of GRA is, right?
Y'know, the elements Toho Video used sucked to begin with, the detail is washed out, the contrast makes everything a mass of blackened nothingness, et cetera, et cetera.

Cool. Now here's the same shot from the Splendid DVD.
See the very big difference? So I just put two and two together and decided to start my own restoration project for the film using the German version.

Approximately 44 seconds of footage is absent for the German version (and the credits most definitely AREN'T Japanese...), so I patched those segments with the 2008 Toho HV broadcast of Godzilla's second outing, Nihon-Eiga channel bug intact mind you, and corrected the contrast so it matches the German footage perfectly. Buddy of mine is working on the subtitles, because both scripts (Tokyo Monsters and Classic Media) are pretty crappy and need some polishing.

Extras will include an isolated score track, liner notes, and interactive menus™ for the DVD VIDEO_TS release. Enjoy this... ahem, SPLENDID new presentation of the film, from the caring hands of O(Wicket DVD Company® and NoBudget Home Video©! Also forthcoming this year is a 1.85:1 matted restoration of the film's U.S. cut, the dreaded Gigantis, the Fire Monster...

This has been a Party City Butt Entertainment Release. Clients may inquire about where to obtain O(Wicket Projects through PM. All clients must be 18 or older to participate in decidedly more mature activities. Order now toll free and receive free samples of Takashi Shimura's earwax.

KFC

Re: Godzilla Raids Again - Japanese Version Restoration Proj

Post by KFC »

Jolly. I'll see if I can help you for those cut shots.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

KFC wrote: Jolly. I'll see if I can help you for those cut shots.
Nah man. Already got 'em. Restoration's finished and ready to go as soon as the subs are done.

gzilla46
Futurian

Post by gzilla46 »

This isn't piracy, is it? If so, I'm out.
Shadow Arena Records:

Wins: 1
Losses: 0

Beef Bigshot
Xilien Halfling

Post by Beef Bigshot »

cant wait for this. im pretty excited.....oh and with the subs, is their any banana oil......or is this bad, this is Bad isnt it! :lol:
Resized Image

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

Anguirus will be called Angilas in the sub script because that was the preferred and official romanization at the time.

Beef Bigshot
Xilien Halfling

Post by Beef Bigshot »

hey SHM can you get some good still shots of Godzilla ad anguirus when your done with the film thing. id love to have some higher quality pictures of the 55' suits
Resized Image

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

Beef Bigshot wrote:hey SHM can you get some good still shots of Godzilla ad anguirus when your done with the film thing. id love to have some higher quality pictures of the 55' suits
Alright. Various screenshots comparing the German version to the R2 transfer will be posted every so often anyway.
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/57963

Tokage
Monarch Researcher

Post by Tokage »

Space Hunter M wrote:Anguirus will be called Angilas in the sub script because that was the preferred and official romanization at the time.
I personally still prefer "Angilas" in general - that spelling makes more sense.

Also, while I'm complaining about that, "Megagiras" makes more sense than "Megaguirus".

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

.MKV now available on specific tracker.