Should they have a Documentary?

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
he-ba
Interpol Agent
Location: Sitting home and chatting with my best friend....... Titanosaurus!!

Should they have a Documentary?

Post by he-ba »

I know BBC had one, but it really wasn't what Godzilla was about. They need a two parter. Part one that explains all continuity problems, in-universe explanations, and hypotheses and more stuff like that. Part two would be all about the real world sstory, like the founding, problems, etc. What do you guys think?
TK's resident Titanosaurus super-fan

Maybe Minilla was some mutation inside a Kamacarus' ootheca and that's why they attacked..... Maybe Minilla ISN'T the Son of Godzilla! He's some weird Kamacari that Godzilla felt bad for!

..... Nope, the other guys would never accept that..........

I don't know even know what a he-ba is......

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BIG GUY!!!!!!!!

20th Century Boy
Futurian

Re: Should they have a Documentary?

Post by 20th Century Boy »

There was also an Animal Planet documentary that covers everything up to Final Wars, and it's pretty nice. It doesn't do much for hardcore fans, but it is a good source for clearing up any misconceptions and giving an accurate history of the franchise to non-fans.
he-ba wrote:Part one that explains all continuity problems, in-universe explanations, and hypotheses and more stuff like that.
I'm not quite sure that's documentary material...

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Your part 2 is good documentary material. Behind the scenes stories do interest people.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

20th Century Boy wrote:There was also an Animal Planet documentary that covers everything up to Final Wars, and it's pretty nice. It doesn't do much for hardcore fans, but it is a good source for clearing up any misconceptions and giving an accurate history of the franchise to non-fans.
he-ba wrote:Part one that explains all continuity problems, in-universe explanations, and hypotheses and more stuff like that.
I'm not quite sure that's documentary material...
All this. And since we haven't had anything since GFW, I don't know that there's much new to really discuss documentary wise. OTOH, I'm all for a more in-depth look at the Godzilla franchise beyond just LA films. Not so much the in-universe type stuff, more about the animated programs, comics, and other things that are more obscure than the films. I don't know that such a market really exists though. At best, if G14 is successful, a future home media release could have that as a special feature.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

gojimantis
GPN Volunteer

Post by gojimantis »

Have not seen the BBC or Animal Planet docs, but yes, i think there should and it should be made by people who are going to take it seriously.
You have your fear which might become reality. And you have Godzilla, which *is* reality.

he-ba
Interpol Agent

Post by he-ba »

The last portion of the BBC is all about the 1998 movie....... that ruined it for me

Maybe Minilla was some mutation inside a Kamacarus' ootheca and that's why they attacked..... Maybe Minilla ISN'T the Son of Godzilla! He's some weird Kamacari that Godzilla felt bad for!

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

The problem with any documentary is that anything a company does is probably going to have to be approved by Toho. And that's on top of that fact that they're incredibly stingy with film clips. I don't think we'll ever get a truly intelligent Godzilla-related documentary in this country.

And I'm sorry, he-ba, but a documentary featuring "continuity problems, in-universe explanations, and hypotheses"? Nooooo.....

Mecha-SpaceGhidorah
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mecha-SpaceGhidorah »

gojimantis wrote:Have not seen the BBC or Animal Planet docs,
If you're interested:
Animal Planet: Godzilla: It Came From Japan, split up into five parts based off of commercial breaks and the quality isn't all that good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EX-fC7v1jaY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5VEDIvvrWw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FGW12HrL4I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yafzMAAbgro
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBv3dT0A0gM

BBC Documentary: Godzilla, King of the Monsters, split up into four parts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdgVCn5lAKc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoG2t04aWKc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLABXMp4MOg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDprTemWAmk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7Hba9AjMyg - I think this is the whole BBC doc in one video, though I'm not positive. I literally just found it while compiling this list.
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make its own judgments.
~ Zefram Cochrane (c. 2073)

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Legion1979 wrote:I don't think we'll ever get a truly intelligent Godzilla-related documentary in this country.
Are you offering me a challenge here? Because I don't think I could talk Discovery into pursuing it, but I might just give it a try someday...
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

Do it, eabaker!

gojimantis
GPN Volunteer

Post by gojimantis »

so, Let's make a documentary about Godzilla! ;)
You have your fear which might become reality. And you have Godzilla, which *is* reality.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

A fan made documentary is an excellent idea.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

gojimantis
GPN Volunteer

Post by gojimantis »

a Doc on the movies, and a doc on the fans.
both fan made... where did i put my video camera??

he-ba
Interpol Agent

Post by he-ba »

If we did that, my life would be complete...........

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

If any California fans are seriously interested in putting something like that together, I will gladly contribute my knowledge and my equipment and skills in both production and post-production.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

he-ba
Interpol Agent

Post by he-ba »

I'm on the East Coast, so......... my life will never be complete

gojimantis
GPN Volunteer

Post by gojimantis »

I'm east coast too,
there's always the interwebs, emailing and Iphone videos at least to exchange ideas.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Not to mention, footage can be ftp'd. I just meant I'd only be available to shoot in California for the time being.

Stevo_1985
JXSDF Technician

Post by Stevo_1985 »

Bringing godzilla down to size is a real good one. Doesn't really explain about continuity but really cool stuff on production and crew members, just about everything.

Sorry Kiryu
#Notmymechagodzilla

he-ba
Interpol Agent

Post by he-ba »

If you EVER start this project, PLEASE PM me!!!! I really want to help!!!