Question about Terror of Mechagodzilla?

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
NoOneKansai
Ronin

Re: Question about Terror of Mechagodzilla?

Post by NoOneKansai »

eabaker wrote:KC was a very plot-specific monster. He's not one you can really just drop into any narrative without a lot of mechanics coming into play. Plus, he just wasn't the right kind of monster for a movie with the style and tone of ToMG. He would have been glaringly out-of-place.
This. ToMG is an entirely different film than its predecessor, it's a typical Honda film in contrast to a typical (better) Fukuda film, and the fact that ToMG is a direct sequel makes the whole thing really interesting as we get the unique possibility to make a comparison like that.

King Shisa just is way too funky and campy for a fairly dark film like this, whereas they did a good job on Mechagodzilla who fits in perfectly anyway and wouldn't need any alteration. Plus, yeah, he definitely belongs to Okinawa. You also couldn't have Gigan or even Megalon in a Honda film, I guess -- he's just the guy for more traditional monsters, and I also think that Titanosaurus is great and one of the most menacing-looking monsters in the old series (and, Jesus, listen to his scream).

There are also other contradictions. Just note how different the aliens change after being shot; note the lack of blood and Mechagodzilla's different style of attacking.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

King Ceasar fit in just fine in the '74 film. The film isn't "dark"; it just has some adult themes, and plenty of violence
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

he-ba
Interpol Agent
Location: Sitting home and chatting with my best friend....... Titanosaurus!!

Post by he-ba »

KC may be campy, but you have to admit he is pretty cool. Every power he has is different, his body is different, heck even his in body is different!! (Cutaways)
TK's resident Titanosaurus super-fan

Maybe Minilla was some mutation inside a Kamacarus' ootheca and that's why they attacked..... Maybe Minilla ISN'T the Son of Godzilla! He's some weird Kamacari that Godzilla felt bad for!

..... Nope, the other guys would never accept that..........

I don't know even know what a he-ba is......

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BIG GUY!!!!!!!!

he-ba
Interpol Agent

Post by he-ba »

Tyler wrote:
Godzillian wrote:My only question with this film is why Godzilla let Titanosaurs go after they started to fight. Titano just turns around and walks away and Godzilla just lets him go for no reason.
Perhaps Godzilla sensed Titano was being controlled, although he has no problem beating the crap out of him later. :lol:
But if Godzilla could sense that, then he could have sensed he was good, therefore letting him go. Later, though, I think he was just angry with the Black Hole Aliens....... and really Godzilla was kicked around by Titano, not the other way around. But definitely a good thought, you have there Tyler.
Last edited by he-ba on Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

Maybe Minilla was some mutation inside a Kamacarus' ootheca and that's why they attacked..... Maybe Minilla ISN'T the Son of Godzilla! He's some weird Kamacari that Godzilla felt bad for!

ILL GREEN
Gotengo Officer

Post by ILL GREEN »

King Ceasar was part of a prophecy and can only appear when the moon is red on the west and the sun on the east. MG would've flatten the Earth if they waited for that conjunction.

shippersdreamer
Interpol Agent

Post by shippersdreamer »

So just HOW did that scientists mind control Titanosaurus?
"Look out, it's the most fearsome monster on the planet! Gezora..."

he-ba
Interpol Agent

Post by he-ba »

shippersdreamer wrote:So just HOW did that scientists mind control Titanosaurus?
Mafune was insane you really can't tell through his mad-scientist talk....... I think there are a few explanation scenes though. I could be wrong. I'm sorry I can't look right now... the Ranger's Stadium Series game is on!