Was Godzilla Really the *Bad Guy*

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Godsteigman
Monsterland Worker

Was Godzilla Really the *Bad Guy*

Post by Godsteigman »

I did a Godzilla showa series marathon and I noticed something in both King Kong vs. Godzilla and Godzilla vs the Thing/Mothra vs Godzilla
Godzilla does not attack a city per se.
In KKVG - all he does is wonder around the countryside, and walking up Mt. Fuji. The military brought Kong to Godzilla who was just basically minding his own business. He didnt destroy any buildings and such. He does destroy the sub at the beginning but that could have been because he was trying to escape the ice burg.
In Mothra vs Godzilla - the only destruction the Big G is just from being clumsy. He stumbles into a building and his tail gets caught in the tower. Otherwise he is walking around without doing any real damage.

It was humanity/the military who went after Godzilla in both of these films, probably due to fear of being killed...since the original Godzilla did quite a bit of damage in the first film, but that was a different Godzilla.

I know these are just films and we can take it with a grain of salt. It was just an observation. Maybe this discussion happened already. Maybe I have too much time on my hands :mrgreen:

Hotrod93
G-Force Personnel

Re: Was Godzilla Really the *Bad Guy*

Post by Hotrod93 »

That's the Idea of Godzilla, Post 1954.

He's a giant living in a Human scaled world. In reality we all are Godzilla every time we go to the park or forest. Stomping around, destroying everything we step on.
Tyler wrote:$200 if I hump a car.

ILL GREEN
Gotengo Officer

Post by ILL GREEN »

Actually humans are the monsters. That was the first foundation when Gojira was created. Though I think Godzilla represents a zealous United States during the atomic era.

mechabrent
Monarch Researcher

Post by mechabrent »

Yes. Just think of the size of Godzilla droppings........ And shudder in horror.
The United Nations are represented by the little brightly-colored dolphin boat.

gojira96
Monarch Researcher

Post by gojira96 »

"Monsters are born too tall, too strong, too heavy—that is their tragedy"
- Ishiro Honda

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I don't know about KKvsG... he came across as pretty aggressive, and clearly enjoyed his battles with Kong. He was cruel in victory, too, burying Kong alive and setting the forest around him on fire. Also, he was heading for Tokyo, but the electric fence got in his way. Based on how he acted everywhere else in the movie, I'm sure he'd have burned the city to the ground if he'd made it there.

I agree with you about his portrayal in MvsG, though. He struck me as a trapped animal in that movie, stumbling around an environment he didn't belong in. His 'attack' on Nagoya felt more like he was just passing through the place, and only destroyed most of what he did out of clumsiness or aggravation. There didn't seem to be any real malice behind it. And he never started a fight; it was always the military or Mothras that went after him, and they often had to harass him for a while before he'd even fight back. And he was a very conservative fighter, doing only enough damage to his enemies to end the battle, after which he'd immediately walk away.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Godsteigman
Monsterland Worker

Post by Godsteigman »

JAGzilla wrote:I don't know about KKvsG... he came across as pretty aggressive, and clearly enjoyed his battles with Kong. He was cruel in victory, too, burying Kong alive and setting the forest around him on fire. Also, he was heading for Tokyo, but the electric fence got in his way. Based on how he acted everywhere else in the movie, I'm sure he'd have burned the city to the ground if he'd made it there.

I agree with you about his portrayal in MvsG, though. He struck me as a trapped animal in that movie, stumbling around an environment he didn't belong in. His 'attack' on Nagoya felt more like he was just passing through the place, and only destroyed most of what he did out of clumsiness or aggravation. There didn't seem to be any real malice behind it. And he never started a fight; it was always the military or Mothras that went after him, and they often had to harass him for a while before he'd even fight back. And he was a very conservative fighter, doing only enough damage to his enemies to end the battle, after which he'd immediately walk away.
Yes he was aggressive against Kong but only after the humans *dropped* Kong onto MT Fuji where Godzilla was just wandering around. They basically 'pissed off' Godzilla. Im sure if any monster minding their own business suddenly gets attacked would retaliate. Im sure Godzilla in his state of mind would be in the mood for some BBQ Japanese.

He never even started the fight in Ghidorah the 3 headed monster. He did destroy the ship when he arose, but I believe his destruction of ships was territorial /animal instinct. But it was Rodan was knocking him on his arse :)

I appreciate all the cool feedback, its interesting and funny which is how life ought to be at times :)

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Godzilla says humans hate him so he hates them in GTTHM. So he is making a subconscious decision to attack Japan.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Godsteigman
Monsterland Worker

Post by Godsteigman »

Yeah but when Godzilla was on Mt Fuji (KKvsG) he didnt seem to be planning anything :) He was heading toward the mainland but was attacked before he was going to either attack or wander around. Id say the former but we really dont know. He does hate humans and vice versa

Godsteigman
Monsterland Worker

Post by Godsteigman »

Exactly right. The post was mostly in reference to KKvsG and MvsGo 1964...

Tokage
Monarch Researcher

Post by Tokage »

Godsteigman wrote: In Mothra vs Godzilla - the only destruction the Big G is just from being clumsy. He stumbles into a building and his tail gets caught in the tower. Otherwise he is walking around without doing any real damage.
Interestingly enough, this is one of the reasons why I don't think Mothra vs Godzilla necessarily deserves its popular status as being the supposedly very best of the post-'54 Showa films. It is a great movie, with a strong story and top-rate effects by Tsuburaya, and it is definitely ONE of the best. But it still lacks a few of the elements that completely define a Godzilla movie, and widespread city destruction is one of the things missing.

he-ba
Interpol Agent
Location: Sitting home and chatting with my best friend....... Titanosaurus!!

Post by he-ba »

I think the humans are pretty stupid. 1. They use the same weapons over and over. 2. Like you said, sometimes he doesn't do anything, and the humans SAY he is going for Tokyo, even though he probably isn't 3. They really couldn't come up with a "Monster/Godzilla Island" until 1999?!?!?! Even if it took years to get him to stay, as he would try to return, they have the whole Pacific to turn him around (that is, if they were smart enough to keep him AWAY from Japan). Just my opinion
TK's resident Titanosaurus super-fan

Maybe Minilla was some mutation inside a Kamacarus' ootheca and that's why they attacked..... Maybe Minilla ISN'T the Son of Godzilla! He's some weird Kamacari that Godzilla felt bad for!

..... Nope, the other guys would never accept that..........

I don't know even know what a he-ba is......

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BIG GUY!!!!!!!!

DoctorMafune
Monarch Researcher

Post by DoctorMafune »

We've been over some of this ground before, but I think that it's possible to make too much of Godzilla's couple of stumbles in M vs. G.

A "Hulk just want to be alone" take on Godzilla's behavior in the film doesn't explain why he would head inland toward Nagoya (instead of into the ocean, clearly in sight) after he emerged from the ground. It isn't accurate to say that he caused damage only by accident, either. He went out of his way to ignite the oil refinery, and to destroy Hamakaze Hotel and the incubator. And it's pretty clear from his actions that he planned to destroy the egg, too... and that only Mothra's timely arrival saved it.

Even at the end, on the island, Godzilla purposefully stopped, identified the human structures there, and set them ablaze.

Godzilla not only looks enraged and evil in M vs. G... for my money, he acts the part.
"Rudeness is the weak person's imitation of strength." -- Eric Hoffer

shippersdreamer
Interpol Agent

Post by shippersdreamer »

DoctorMafune wrote:We've been over some of this ground before, but I think that it's possible to make too much of Godzilla's couple of stumbles in M vs. G.

A "Hulk just want to be alone" take on Godzilla's behavior in the film doesn't explain why he would head inland toward Nagoya (instead of into the ocean, clearly in sight) after he emerged from the ground. It isn't accurate to say that he caused damage only by accident, either. He went out of his way to ignite the oil refinery, and to destroy Hamakaze Hotel and the incubator. And it's pretty clear from his actions that he planned to destroy the egg, too... and that only Mothra's timely arrival saved it.

Even at the end, on the island, Godzilla purposefully stopped, identified the human structures there, and set them ablaze.

Godzilla not only looks enraged and evil in M vs. G... for my money, he acts the part.
I actually happen to agree, Godzilla chooses on his own to get up and started turning Japan into a graveyard. Although I do admit I think Godzilla did just happen to trip and fall onto the pagoda, he was clearly NOT a good guy in M vs. G.
"Look out, it's the most fearsome monster on the planet! Gezora..."