Monster Discussion #15: King Ghidorah (Showa)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Carthormerr
Interpol Agent

Re: What Really Makes King Ghidorah Dangerous is...

Post by Carthormerr »

Bath salts
"A monster can live forever"

Beef Bigshot
Xilien Halfling

Re: Monster Discussion #15: King Ghidorah (Showa)

Post by Beef Bigshot »

Here is how I see king ghidorah. He was created at the begining of time as possible a defender of some sorts or just he was always meant for destruction. Either way, something went wrong and he started mass destroying worlds. When he came to earth, he finally met his match, actually finding lifeforms that fight back. This is probably why he retreated. He eventually found planet X where he caused some havoc before he got mind controlled. Now me, myself, has suspicions on the level of mind control that was going on, meaning that I think that the planet X commander was completely absolutely controling ghidorah. Meaning that he would kinda point out where to go and ghidorah would kinda go there and blow crap up. This is to capture ghidorahs full destructive might. Now the nebulans ballsed it up and COMPLETELY controlled his every move. This could explain why Godzilla was basically able to beat him single handidly. Well that's my dumb theory so yaaa......
Resized Image

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Post by Arbok »

Beef Bigshot wrote:Now me, myself, has suspicions on the level of mind control that was going on, meaning that I think that the planet X commander was completely absolutely controling ghidorah. Meaning that he would kinda point out where to go and ghidorah would kinda go there and blow crap up. This is to capture ghidorahs full destructive might. Now the nebulans ballsed it up and COMPLETELY controlled his every move. This could explain why Godzilla was basically able to beat him single handidly. Well that's my dumb theory so yaaa......
I assume you mean the Planet X aliens were not fully controlling King Ghidorah, which I disagree. If King Ghidorah was not fully controlled, I imagine he would have lashed out at Godzilla and Rodan (toward the end they are all seen fairly close to each other before the Xiliens are defeated).

I think the better theory is just that the Xilien are far superior at controlling monsters than the Space Hunter Nebula M aliens.
If it bites... don't mess with it!

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I don't want to know Ghidorah's origin. That mystery is part of the appeal, for me. No one knows what he is or where he came from. Maybe he doesn't even know. All that anyone knows is what he does: he kills. He seeks out life wherever he can find it, he kills it all, and he laughs while he does it. And that's all that matters.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

123go
Samurai

Post by 123go »

Beef Bigshot wrote:Here is how I see king ghidorah. He was created at the begining of time as possible a defender of some sorts or just he was always meant for destruction. Either way, something went wrong and he started mass destroying worlds. When he came to earth, he finally met his match, actually finding lifeforms that fight back. This is probably why he retreated. He eventually found planet X where he caused some havoc before he got mind controlled. Now me, myself, has suspicions on the level of mind control that was going on, meaning that I think that the planet X commander was completely absolutely controling ghidorah. Meaning that he would kinda point out where to go and ghidorah would kinda go there and blow crap up. This is to capture ghidorahs full destructive might. Now the nebulans ballsed it up and COMPLETELY controlled his every move. This could explain why Godzilla was basically able to beat him single handidly. Well that's my dumb theory so yaaa......
I would like to believe that theory becasue it was disapointing to see ghidroah go down by just godzilla himself. Heck he practically beat gigan and ghidorah alone and that cheapens the characters in my opinion. Certainly your theory would explain a lot.

Crimson_Raptor
G-Force Personnel

Post by Crimson_Raptor »

What makes King Ghidorah really dangerous, he is not only able to withstand Godzilla's heat ray, but shrugs it off as if it didn't happen. I give you the battle on Planet X on Godzilla vs Monster Zero as proof positive of this.
GotengoXGodzilla wrote:... if Godzilla doesn't have backup, there's very little Godzilla can do to King Ghidorah... that makes King Ghidorah powerful.
Tyler wrote:I like Nakano's explanation, that a three-headed monster would have to be beaten by three different monsters.
Absolutely! This also speaks to just how powerful, durable, and valuable Anguirus is in battle to hold his own against the golden dragon.

leunames wrote:... I was never sure whether the historical background the controller of planet x gave glen and his buddy were either truth or some story he concocted to draw their sympathy and disarm their suspicions...
Based on what we've seen in the film, it appears there is truth to what he said, but didn't complete the rest of the story where they used their atomic skill of magnetic waves to control the beast. Although it seems to make more sense for the machines to live underground rather than above, I wouldn't be surprised if King Ghidorah, originally had something to do with their lack of water. Still, Miss Namikawa would've mentioned that to Glen.

Arbok wrote:... I think the better theory is just that the [Planet X aliens] are far superior at controlling monsters than the Space Hunter Nebula M aliens.
I'm not so sure about that. The machines of Planet X seem to only be able to turn on/off and suggest targets to King Ghidorah. This maybe why the Hydrogen Oxide plant was damaged since King Ghidorah knew their control would be broken if it was destroyed). King Ghidorah also, may not have lashed out at Godzilla and Rodan because it simply wanted to be free of the machines' control.

On the flip side of that, the Nebula M Space Hunter aliens appeared to have complete control of the three-headed dragon, down to focusing and controlling the three flailing heads using their advanced technology.

While in the future, the Kilaaks, despite having great scientific knowledge, had to resort to mind control buoys to act as transmitters. And, it appears they had next to almost no control over King Ghidorah because they didn't trust to unleash him like the Earth monsters and instead held him back until they let him out of his Pokemon ball at the last minute, haha.
"Reach for the high apples first; you can get the low ones any time."

firedragon
Samurai

Post by firedragon »

As to why king Ghidorah destroys worlds? I personaily think he's insane.
Being step on by Godzilla would be a dream come true for me, when I'm so old I have my own personal IV pole.

Beef Bigshot
Xilien Halfling

Post by Beef Bigshot »

I feel like ghidorah didn't die in DAM, personally I feel as if the poor monster is immortal and that's why he blows crap up. He just got knocked out and woke up later and was like, piss to this world" and left.....
Resized Image

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

Beef Bigshot wrote:I feel like ghidorah didn't die in DAM, personally I feel as if the poor monster is immortal and that's why he blows crap up. He just got knocked out and woke up later and was like, piss to this world" and left.....
That's --------! Ghidrah obviously died, Minilla saw to that! The ground around him exploded, and his corpse feel into a crater, as was most liky buired by tons of dirt and rocks, he's dead! And I'm pretty sure one of the kaiju would be able to tell if KG was knocked out or dead! If he was knocked out, they'd know, and rip his body apart!
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

Megalon7
Monsterland Worker

Post by Megalon7 »

Lain Of The Wired wrote:
Beef Bigshot wrote:I feel like ghidorah didn't die in DAM, personally I feel as if the poor monster is immortal and that's why he blows crap up. He just got knocked out and woke up later and was like, piss to this world" and left.....
That's --------! Ghidrah obviously died, Minilla saw to that! The ground around him exploded, and his corpse feel into a crater, as was most liky buired by tons of dirt and rocks, he's dead! And I'm pretty sure one of the kaiju would be able to tell if KG was knocked out or dead! If he was knocked out, they'd know, and rip his body apart!
No need to get after him for his theory. How is his post different from you saying that Rodan died in "Godzilla vs Megalon"?

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Megalon7 wrote:
Lain Of The Wired wrote:
That's --------! Ghidrah obviously died, Minilla saw to that! The ground around him exploded, and his corpse feel into a crater, and was most likely buired by tons of dirt and rocks, he's dead! And I'm pretty sure one of the kaiju would be able to tell if KG was knocked out or dead! If he was knocked out, they'd know, and rip his body apart!
No need to get after him for his theory. How is his post different from you saying that Rodan died in "Godzilla vs Megalon"?
Because I'm like... 83% sure it's been stated that Ghidorah died in that film, that was the point, it was meant to be the last in the series and Godzilla's arch enemy was meant to be finally killed.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Lain Of The Wired wrote:
That's --------!
Yet you think Rodan could have possibly died and or been replaced in the Showa series?
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

No, I've stated many times that I believe Rodan "flew away" FLEW... AWAY. I said Rodan either flew away OR may have died, it was an alt. theory, a possability, I believe Rodan flew to a new place

Beef Bigshot
Xilien Halfling

Post by Beef Bigshot »

Alright guys chill, I'm good with his response cuz I honestly don't care, also what, how would you know rodan is dead. I will say one thing, quoting Matt frank,"kiaju have a bad habit of not staying dead."
Resized Image

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

would someone be so kind as to explain to me just exactly what a Gravity Beam is? Is it an electrical attack or not?

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

^I've always considered it to be some sort of lightning or something.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

ILL GREEN
Gotengo Officer

Post by ILL GREEN »

Yeah, its definitely a lightening blast. Gravity Beam is what the people of Planet X used to transport Godzilla and Rodan.

LiquidG
Terminated
Terminated

Post by LiquidG »

ILL GREEN wrote:Yeah, its definitely a lightening blast. Gravity Beam is what the people of Planet X used to transport Godzilla and Rodan.
With all due respect, Wrong. Ghidorah's beams aren't lightning or electrical in nature, they are officially called gravity beams
TK's official member of the "Three L's of the Apocalypse"

ILL GREEN
Gotengo Officer

Post by ILL GREEN »

LiquidG wrote:
ILL GREEN wrote:Yeah, its definitely a lightening blast. Gravity Beam is what the people of Planet X used to transport Godzilla and Rodan.
With all due respect, Wrong. Ghidorah's beams aren't lightning or electrical in nature, they are officially called gravity beams
Ok, but in Monster Zero the astronauts were startled by the orange lightening while on Planet X and Glenn saying "lightening with no clouds." Of course, it was Ghidorah bucking shots from a distance but it was already compared to nature's electric bolts.

But thanks for the name clarity.

LiquidG
Terminated
Terminated

Post by LiquidG »

ILL GREEN wrote:
LiquidG wrote:
Ok, but in Monster Zero the astronauts were startled by the orange lightening while on Planet X and Glenn saying "lightening with no clouds." Of course, it was Ghidorah bucking shots from a distance but it was already compared to nature's electric bolts.

But thanks for the name clarity.
Well that's true, I'll give you you that. My point was just pointing out that his Beams while looking like lighting aren't actually lighting in the sense that all they do shock you, much more destructive force behind those things
TK's official member of the "Three L's of the Apocalypse"