Monster Discussion #15: King Ghidorah (Showa)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Palaeogirl
GPN Volunteer

Re: Monster Discussion #15: King Ghidorah (Showa)

Post by Palaeogirl »

I adore Showa Ghidorah, but something that has always bothered me about him in every incarnation is that he's just so unimpressive. All it took to send him running was Godzilla and Rodan. I always felt that the planet destroying Ghidorah was the superior origin, but I also felt that he was just too weak. It should really take every monster to defeat him.

LiquidG
Terminated
Terminated

Post by LiquidG »

Living Corpse wrote:
LiquidG wrote:
Godzillian wrote:The only real complante I have about showa ghidorah is how he spazes out when he flies in GTTHM
I love that about him to be honest ;)
I miss that from the old films and hope the next new incarnation brings that and the giggling back.
Yeah I definitely think if Toho does a new series it should take a lot from the early Showa series.
TK's official member of the "Three L's of the Apocalypse"

shippersdreamer
Interpol Agent

Post by shippersdreamer »

^ I agree.
"Look out, it's the most fearsome monster on the planet! Gezora..."

Beef Bigshot
Xilien Halfling

Post by Beef Bigshot »

shippersdreamer wrote:^ I agree.
double agreed
Resized Image

ILL GREEN
Gotengo Officer

Post by ILL GREEN »

Triple the agreement.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

Ghidorah's manic cackles and spastic motions are a large part of what make him iconic as a character for me. I DEFINITELY want to see those traits return.

shippersdreamer
Interpol Agent

Post by shippersdreamer »

Rody wrote:Ghidorah's manic cackles and spastic motions are a large part of what make him iconic as a character for me. I DEFINITELY want to see those traits return.
Same. I really liked how Ghidorah just went insane with the head waggling and cackling, he seemed just...insane while doing it, which to me boosted his credibility as an actual villain.
"Look out, it's the most fearsome monster on the planet! Gezora..."

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Yeah, I feel like in the Heisei and Millennium eras, Ghidorah's personality was substantially reduced. I think the idea may have been to make him something that could be taken more "seriously," but the result was that he became substantially less uncanny, less a monster and more just an animal.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

siphunclekaiju54
Ronin

Post by siphunclekaiju54 »

I agree that Showa Ghidorah's spastic movement and cackles are what made him so menacing. He's the embodiment of total, insane chaos. He doesn't do anything methodically, he doesn't think about what he's destroying, he just destroys absolutely everything around him because that's what he does.

The Heisei and Millennium Ghidorahs didn't have quite the same role in the story, either. The Showa Ghidorah is a planet-destroying creature whose sole purpose is to travel through the universe wrecking everything it encounters. His behavior fit his origin, and if they do a new version of Ghidorah (which I hope uses that origin), I'd love to see his old spastic tendencies brought back as well.

Beef Bigshot
Xilien Halfling

Post by Beef Bigshot »

^ well their was grand king ghidorah who came from space and was a planet destroyer. i think he also was a decent spaz as well(from the little footage ive seen) but he didnt laugh, just roared like the devil. oh and he also liked eating kids.......which is odd but whatever
Resized Image

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

Grand King Ghidorah wasn't spastic at all. He was very intimidating for sure, but he moved in a slower, more deliberate manner (like most Heisei monsters, but not quite as stiff).

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Palaeogirl wrote:I adore Showa Ghidorah, but something that has always bothered me about him in every incarnation is that he's just so unimpressive. All it took to send him running was Godzilla and Rodan. I always felt that the planet destroying Ghidorah was the superior origin, but I also felt that he was just too weak. It should really take every monster to defeat him.
Saying all it took was Godzilla and Rodan is like saying all it took was Goku and Vegeta to stop Majin Buu.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

miguelnuva wrote:
Palaeogirl wrote:I adore Showa Ghidorah, but something that has always bothered me about him in every incarnation is that he's just so unimpressive. All it took to send him running was Godzilla and Rodan. I always felt that the planet destroying Ghidorah was the superior origin, but I also felt that he was just too weak. It should really take every monster to defeat him.
Saying all it took was Godzilla and Rodan is like saying all it took was Goku and Vegeta to stop Majin Buu.
Also, that assumes that Ghidorah was "running" in Monster Zero. The ending is pretty inconclusive, and Ghidorah may well have won the fight but not had any paprticular reason to stick around on Earth.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

eabaker wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:
Also, that assumes that Ghidorah was "running" in Monster Zero. The ending is pretty inconclusive, and Ghidorah may well have won the fight but not had any paprticular reason to stick around on Earth.
Personally I use to say Ghidorah won in Monster Zero but I was told here it was either a draw or Godzilla and Rodan won.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

ILL GREEN
Gotengo Officer

Post by ILL GREEN »

There should've a movie where King Ghidorah goes on a rampage but is confronted by a monster on different countries on his quest. He kills them off one by one until he comes to Japan. . . :g2k:

Kubo
Sazer

Post by Kubo »

ILL GREEN wrote:There should've a movie where King Ghidorah goes on a rampage but is confronted by a monster on different countries on his quest. He kills them off one by one until he comes to Japan. . . :g2k:
Sounds like...Final Wars.
Giving myself brain damage wishing too hard upon a star.

Twitter: @Dawn_of_the_DED
If you follow me on there, shoot me a DM so I know you're from the forums.

Missingno.
G-Grasper

Post by Missingno. »

How did this thread go dead..? No matter, for I shall resurrect it!!!

I liked Showa Ghidorah in all of the movies he appeared in except for Godzilla vs. Gigan. Especially the first two when his heads looked like they were suffering from seizures and he was going on great, destructive rampages, particularly in his first film (the first Godzlla film I ever saw!).
TK's resident other 1980's fan who longs for that decade's return, and severe weather fanatic.
LSD Jellyfish wrote:WOW WHAT HONOL. SO KOOR, VERY JOUZU KAWAII SOU DESU NE. AHHHH OKII CHINKO DESU KA. MMMMM CHICHI, WATSHI NO MANKO NI CHINKO O IKYUUUUUUUU
NEVER FORGET:
8-8-2015
R.I.P. Games forum
Resized ImageResized Image
The 80's----The weather!

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

When he spit electrics don't be in y'all saunas.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

Really hoping his bio gets updated next, Showa Ghidorah is a badass
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

MoarCrossovers
Xilien Halfling

Post by MoarCrossovers »

What exactly are Ghidorah‘s Gravity Beams? What are they made up of? Plasma? Electricity? Some unknown state of matter? It's never really explained and I'd really like to know.
Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.