Monster Discussion #15: King Ghidorah (Showa)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
edgaguirus
Keizer

Re: Monster Discussion #15: King Ghidorah (Showa)

Post by edgaguirus »

When they hit Godzilla in GTHM, you can see some of the blast force him back. They seemed to shock a little, but most of their power seems to be physical force striking an object or enemy.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Mecha-SpaceGhidorah
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mecha-SpaceGhidorah »

My personal pet theory is that they are both electrical and gravity.

Our understanding of quantum physics and the like tell us that in the very early universe the four fundamental forces (two of which are gravity and electromagnetism) were all one single force. In my mind, whatever the hell King Ghidorah is, he is able to recreate that proto-force of electro-gravity.

I don't know if it even comes close to making pseudoscientific sense, but it does sound cool and it adds to the awesome power of that Golden Space Terror of Death that is King Ghidorah.
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make its own judgments.
~ Zefram Cochrane (c. 2073)

GR8GODZILLAGOD
Gotengo Officer

Post by GR8GODZILLAGOD »

It's pretty hard not to love our three headed dragon of evil.
Living Corpse wrote:Stop feeding the Mutos nukes!

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Mecha-SpaceGhidorah wrote:My personal pet theory is that they are both electrical and gravity.

Our understanding of quantum physics and the like tell us that in the very early universe the four fundamental forces (two of which are gravity and electromagnetism) were all one single force. In my mind, whatever the hell King Ghidorah is, he is able to recreate that proto-force of electro-gravity.

I don't know if it even comes close to making pseudoscientific sense, but it does sound cool and it adds to the awesome power of that Golden Space Terror of Death that is King Ghidorah.
It does make some sense. We don't know how old Ghidorah is, meaning he could harken from those early days. A space dragon from the dawn of the universe: Now that sounds cool.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

gzilla46
Futurian

Post by gzilla46 »

I always thought Ghidorah was one of the coolest. He was a freaking three-headed dragon that shot electricity for crying out loud.
Shadow Arena Records:

Wins: 1
Losses: 0

LiquidG
Terminated
Terminated

Post by LiquidG »

gzilla46 wrote:I always thought Ghidorah was one of the coolest. He was a freaking three-headed dragon that shot electricity for crying out loud.
........gravity beams......dammit.. -_-
TK's official member of the "Three L's of the Apocalypse"

gzilla46
Futurian

Post by gzilla46 »

LiquidG wrote:
gzilla46 wrote:I always thought Ghidorah was one of the coolest. He was a freaking three-headed dragon that shot electricity for crying out loud.
Really? They look exactly like electricity.
Shadow Arena Records:

LiquidG
Terminated
Terminated

Post by LiquidG »

gzilla46 wrote:
LiquidG wrote:
Really? They look exactly like electricity.
Well they may do bu.....shit just read the discussion we've been having and you will understand

gzilla46
Futurian

Post by gzilla46 »

LiquidG wrote: Well they may do bu.....shit just read the discussion we've been having and you will understand
Yes sir.
Shadow Arena Records:

ILL GREEN
Gotengo Officer

Post by ILL GREEN »

Its gotta be gravity and electric because how do you explain the tanks melting. They are not being pushed back, they are being fried white hot and melting like a candle.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

That's the sad thing about Toho, there's really no way we'll ever get a straight up answer :(
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

ILL GREEN wrote:Its gotta be gravity and electric because how do you explain the tanks melting. They are not being pushed back, they are being fried white hot and melting like a candle.
Wasn't that a (slightly modified) stock footage scene in Godzilla vs. Gigan? I would take that with a grain of salt.

Mecha-SpaceGhidorah
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mecha-SpaceGhidorah »

I don't quite understand what you mean. The two sentences are in conflict. The second one is a big part of why he's so well like amongst the fans. And that's a big part of why Toho likes his (as much as they really "like" or "dislike" any of their kaiju).
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make its own judgments.
~ Zefram Cochrane (c. 2073)

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

Mecha-SpaceGhidorah wrote:I don't quite understand what you mean. The two sentences are in conflict. The second one is a big part of why he's so well like amongst the fans. And that's a big part of why Toho likes his (as much as they really "like" or "dislike" any of their kaiju).
yeah, it's best not to ask, Godzilla14 has a record of making posts that barely make ANY since at all
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

ILL GREEN
Gotengo Officer

Post by ILL GREEN »

Rody wrote:
ILL GREEN wrote:Its gotta be gravity and electric because how do you explain the tanks melting. They are not being pushed back, they are being fried white hot and melting like a candle.
Wasn't that a (slightly modified) stock footage scene in Godzilla vs. Gigan? I would take that with a grain of salt.
Well that flick featured King Ghidorah as well and was the last appearance for him in showa. If it is stock footage it means that Ghidorah is capable of melting tanks because its evident in the film.

LiquidG
Terminated
Terminated

Post by LiquidG »

ILL GREEN wrote:
Rody wrote:
Well that flick featured King Ghidorah as well and was the last appearance for him in showa. If it is stock footage it means that Ghidorah is capable of melting tanks because its evident in the film.
Well if we go by that logic it also means Rodan was laying on his winged ass the entire time Godzilla and Anguirus was fighting and didn't help them :lol: also Mothra randomly appears and does nothing, what a bunch of dicks!!

ILL GREEN
Gotengo Officer

Post by ILL GREEN »

Hey, Mothra's pixie dust is a hellava drug.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

The only real complante I have about showa ghidorah is how he spazes out when he flies in GTTHM

LiquidG
Terminated
Terminated

Post by LiquidG »

Godzillian wrote:The only real complante I have about showa ghidorah is how he spazes out when he flies in GTTHM
I love that about him to be honest ;)

MutheSquirrel
GPN Volunteer

Post by MutheSquirrel »

To me, the original King Ghidorah was much like Return of Mothra's Desghidorah in purpose (and I'm sure that's no coincidence of course). He's a creature of instinct that destroys planets to feed on their life energy, eventually leaving them a dead, barren rock. He's not evil per se, he's only following his nature. From that point on he gets kind of boring, to be honest, as far as story goes. He just becomes a tool of pretty much every alien race that wants to invade and nothing more about him is really developed.

I generally found Showa era fights with him would often become boring, just because that suit was apparently so very fragile and stiff. Because of this he never really struck me as terribly challenging for Godzilla and thus a minor threat. He has an absolutely awesome design though. I love the choice of colour, the lack of arms, his roar, and he looks really intimidating. I could tell they wanted to do so much more with him than was actually physically possible, so I fully understand the love he got and welcomed him back fondly in the Heisei series.