Godzilla - Around the World

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.

Versions of Godzilla You Have Seen

Godzilla (96 minutes - Japan, 1954)
42%
Godzilla, King of the Monsters! (80 minutes- U.S., 1956)
47%
Godzilla (83 minutes - Germany, 1956)
4%
Godzilla (90 minutes - France, 1957)
2%
Cozzilla (Originally 120 minutes(?) - Italy, 1977)
5%

Total votes: 96

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Godzilla - Around the World

Post by Space Hunter M »

The first two and last examples need no real introduction, but the German version uses the Japanese cut but the first act is cut short. The French version uses a combination of Toho and Trans World's cuts, but the narrative follows the Japanese version. The original Italian version from which Cozzilla is based is just a dubbed version of King of the Monsters IIRC.

20th Century Boy
Futurian

Re: Godzilla - Around the World

Post by 20th Century Boy »

Those title cards are awesome; I never knew about these different versions. Personally, I am interested in seeing the French cut.

Brooklyn's Revenge
GPN Volunteer

Post by Brooklyn's Revenge »

I love that third one with the Dick Tracy lettering. In whose cut of the film was Godzilla trying to take down Big Boy Caprice?

Mecha-SpaceGhidorah
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mecha-SpaceGhidorah »

I've only seen Gojira and Godzilla, King of the Monsters!. Although I'd like to see Cozzilla, I've heard it's all but impossible to find a decent copy of it. The other two, I could take or leave.
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make its own judgments.
~ Zefram Cochrane (c. 2073)

three
Keizer

Post by three »

i'm happy with only having seen the american version, KotM. the titles are pretty awesome.
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®
axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - bitch in space.

Mecha-SpaceGhidorah
JXSDF Technician

Oh, you've got to see the original Japanese cut, even if it only for comparative reasons.
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make its own judgments.

Starsteam
Keizer

Post by Starsteam »

I've only seen the Japanse and American cuts, I want to see Cozzilla. Nice little collection of screen titles there.

he-ba
Interpol Agent
Location: Sitting home and chatting with my best friend....... Titanosaurus!!

Post by he-ba »

I loved how the American version implements Burr. They do it so that he is definitely part of the Japanese plot, but far enough away so that he doesn't interfere with the love triangle thing. Does that make sense? I just LOVED the way they had a stand in actor's back for Emiko Serizawa and Ogata, with the dubs. Speaking of dubs, the way thy kept most of the Japanese with the translator guy really enhances the point that THIS IS JAPANESE. No full movie dubs, no completely new actors that have no point and only speak English. Just Dub when fully necessary.
TK's resident Titanosaurus super-fan

Maybe Minilla was some mutation inside a Kamacarus' ootheca and that's why they attacked..... Maybe Minilla ISN'T the Son of Godzilla! He's some weird Kamacari that Godzilla felt bad for!

..... Nope, the other guys would never accept that..........

I don't know even know what a he-ba is......

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BIG GUY!!!!!!!!

Mecha-SpaceGhidorah
JXSDF Technician

he-ba wrote:I loved how the American version implements Burr. They do it so that he is definitely part of the Japanese plot, but far enough away so that he doesn't interfere with the love triangle thing. Does that make sense? I just LOVED the way they had a stand in actor's back for Emiko Serizawa and Ogata, with the dubs. Speaking of dubs, the way thy kept most of the Japanese with the translator guy really enhances the point that THIS IS JAPANESE. No full movie dubs, no completely new actors that have no point and only speak English. Just Dub when fully necessary.
Agreed. I know several people who knock the Burr edit out of hand, but it really is very good in it's own right and feels like it was made with some real love for what it was reediting.

he-ba
Interpol Agent
Location: Sitting home and chatting with my best friend....... Titanosaurus!!

Post by he-ba »

Love for reediting, love for Burr, love for Godzilla
TK's resident Titanosaurus super-fan

Maybe Minilla was some mutation inside a Kamacarus' ootheca and that's why they attacked..... Maybe Minilla ISN'T the Son of Godzilla! He's some weird Kamacari that Godzilla felt bad for!

..... Nope, the other guys would never accept that..........

I don't know even know what a he-ba is......

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BIG GUY!!!!!!!!

NoOneKansai
Ronin

Post by NoOneKansai »

As a German, I'm, of course, familiar with the German cut, which is a shortened version of the original Japanese film. I guess they wanted to make it more focussed on action than drama, something they used to do with many films in the past. Of course it doesn't really make much sense anymore... Still, I'm very grateful we didn't get the US version.

Speaking of which... I have never seen it, although I possess it on DVD as well (thanks to Classic Media). I think it would feel like a massive waste of time to me (since I have no connection to America and have never heard of Raymond Burr before).

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

We can add this cut to the list now that it's (kind of) available: