Lost Project discussion: Godzilla vs. Redmoon(1972)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Dash 7
Monarch Researcher

Lost Project discussion: Godzilla vs. Redmoon(1972)

Post by Dash 7 »

IMO, this film would have benefited from a higher budget because of Tsuburaya producing the film rather than Toho, but I can't help but feel it's better this film wasn't made due to certain aspects such as the infamous kaiju mating scene. Just what I've always wanted to think about, two kaiju engaged in the act of coitus...

Anyway what are your thoughts?
Official Tokusatsu TV expert of TK.

HayesAJones
Keizer

Re: Lost Project discussion: Godzilla vs. Redmoon(1972)

Post by HayesAJones »

I like the idea of a baby monster being killed, leaving Godzilla to deal with the furious parents. But, uh... I'd leave the mating scene out...

Dynomy84
EDF Instructor

Post by Dynomy84 »

ok mating scene shouldnt be used. i only picture it too much for the younger godzilla fans and it would screw up with the godzilla for kids sign
Dynomy
If all else fails, eat pudding. Pudding never fails!

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Post by Arbok »

Dash 7 wrote:IMO, this film would have benefited from a higher budget because of Tsuburaya producing the film rather than Toho...
Perhaps, but Tsuburaya did produce the film that resulted from this idea: Daigoro vs. Goliath. I wasn't particularly impressed with the effects from a budget standpoint, and while its true with Godzilla involved the budget probably would have been bigger... I still doubt it would have paid off in a meaningful way. The problem with the production, and probably would have translated to Redmoon, was how the suits were built. They were constructed to look great in still photos, and do...but in motion they look awful.
If it bites... don't mess with it!

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

Tyler wrote:Don't tell me Godzilla and Redmoon are the ones who get it on. :freak:
No, no. Erabus and Redmoon would mate. They'd also have a baby who would later die.

I think the idea is interesting enough for me to want to watch it. I'm not sure how it would do in the box office, but it sounds good enough, by Showa Godzilla standards. :huge:
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

The idea sounds interesting on paper, but I'm not sure if it would have worked on film. The suits don't impress, either.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

HedorahLives
Monsterland Worker

Post by HedorahLives »

If this movie were made, it would probably have been considered just as weird as Godzilla vs Hedorah, that's for sure. Arguably, it might've killed the series earlier, but I honestly would like to have seen it. It's a pretty original angle for a Godzilla movie.

Ethan
G-Grasper

Post by Ethan »

Was there a script for this film? From the synopsis it seems Godzilla had little participation on the story.
"If only all garden variety fans had just one neck!"

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

From what I've heard, Godzilla's role is small. He's mainly there to fight and defeat the two love monsters.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

they could show around the mating scene easy enough.

Godzilla vs Redmoon was like a big what if it wouldn't have effect toho's showa series we would have just got 30 godzilla movies instead of 29.

Is it true that this movie was to set up a redmoon series?
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Malchik
EDF Instructor

Post by Malchik »

Sounds like it could have been a good addition to the series. It's not like they would have acted penetration and child birth in this film. You can introduce two characters and put one and one together when an egg hatches.

Godzilla1703
Gotengo Officer

Post by Godzilla1703 »

Redmoon and Erabus look like interesting foes. The thing is the mating seen wouldn't have worked, so they should have just walked towards one-another then we cut hours later and the SDF had been observing this and explain they did.
Shadow Arena History: Wins: 37(I'm heading for 50 :D) Losses: 26
Chris55 wrote:
Varan Bon Ziller wrote:^

Wont see that shit in Godzilla.
We did. A whole movie was based around it. It was called "GINO".

:)

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

I actually like the idea of the movie, but stripped of Godzilla's role in the film. It would've been an interesting movie on its own.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

Megalon-5
JXSDF Technician

Post by Megalon-5 »

One of the few unmade Godzilla films I would've loved to have seen. It really clicks with me for some reason. The idea of Godzilla fighting off two angry parents sounds like a cool idea for a film. Granted, it sounds like Godzilla wouldn't have been in it too much, but I probably would've loved to have seen this be a part of the 70's cycle of Godzilla films.

TitanoGoji16
KWC Kontroller
KWC Kontroller

Post by TitanoGoji16 »

I actually really would've liked to have seen this movie. I've always wondered how the film would end - Would Godzilla discover why Redmoon and Erabus were so upset, and try to 'talk' them down, or even side with them? Or would he do what he did with Titanosaurus and just "Screw you, you're dead"? It would've been a fascinating Godzilla movie, potentially.

Though I must admit, I'm not too crazy about the idea of watching the MusukoGoji, Goliath and Daigoro's mom all in the same scene.
"Name me one fight where Anguirus didn't get his dick kicked in."

TyrantGojira
EDF Instructor

Post by TyrantGojira »

This is one of my top 5 godzilla films that never. Funny how godzilla is in another handicap match in this one.
"Am I glad he's frozen in there and that we're out here, and that he's the sheriff, and that we're frozen out here, and that we're in there and I just remembered we're out here. What I wanna know is where's the caveman?"

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

As ugly as all the suits were after going back and looking at this, this was one project I would like to see. For some reason if it was made today I see the MireGoj being used.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

ILL GREEN
Gotengo Officer

Post by ILL GREEN »

Wow, another lost Godzilla project, but from the showa era :shock:

It would've been cool I think, but using the Son Of Godzilla suit? No wonder it didn't go through, Toho didn't create a fresh suit for this movie. Big budget movie needs unique props. As you can see in Godzilla vs MG, that suit was freshly made for that movie, but when Toho has to split the profits with another studio, they go all cheapo to save a few pennies.

Other than that, this was probably to test the waters on the audience for a Godzilla vs Ultraman movie.

gojirasunset
Ronin

Post by gojirasunset »

There was a mating scene?! I have never heard of this. Can I have a explanation/source of this? :freak: :shock: :-x

pikmintaro
G-Force Personnel

Post by pikmintaro »

Is the mating scene mentioned anywhere? on the TK Cutting Room article it just says the military brings the monsters together to kill each other, and instead they mate, it doesn't say anything about it being detailed mating or if they would have even shown it happening.
"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13"
Favorite Godzilla movies
Showa Mothra vs Godzilla| Heisei Godzilla vs Destroyer| Millenium Godzilla Final Wars