Why Tokyo and Osaka?

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Beef Bigshot
Xilien Halfling

Why Tokyo and Osaka?

Post by Beef Bigshot »

so in the first film, Gojira goes straight for Tokyo.....why is that? in the next film, a different godzilla, goes for Osaka. Why is it do you guys think these two memebers of the "Gojira" species go to these location when close to Japan.

my guess is that its some sort of "nesting" ground for either of the godzilla's
Resized Image

20th Century Boy
Futurian

Re: Why Tokyo and Osaka?

Post by 20th Century Boy »

So that the monsters have famous and recognizable things to destroy.

MrGameguy
EDF Instructor

Post by MrGameguy »

Like everyone above said.
They're the most populated cities.
Gojira came to Tokyo because there were more people to kill.
Godzilla came to Osaka just to fight Anguirus.
Originally known as TourettesGigan.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

Beef Bigshot wrote:so in the first film, Gojira goes straight for Tokyo.....why is that? in the next film, a different godzilla, goes for Osaka. Why is it do you guys think these two memebers of the "Gojira" species go to these location when close to Japan.

my guess is that its some sort of "nesting" ground for either of the godzilla's
Everybody is spot on for Real World answers, I think. These are disaster movies, and when you're making your country's first two high profile disaster films what locations are you going to wreck? The largest city in Part 1 and the second largest city in Part 2. :P

In Universe reasons:

Godzilla attacks Tokyo in Gojira because after the JNSDF ships drop the depth charges on him he follows them back to port. That route, as it happens, takes him to Tokyo Bay and, ultimately, to Tokyo itself. He comes ashore, twice, in part because the JSDF prods him to do so, IMO (luring him with spotlights and machine gun fire). Basically, had the JSDF done nothing then Tokyo would never have been attacked at all.

In Godzilla Raids Again, he just sort of happens to land in Osaka. The film spends some time before he arrives depicting his approach similarly to the unpredictable movements of a typhoon: he's first spotted prowling offshore, then he turns toward Nagoya and it seems he'll make landfall there, but then he heads back out to sea again. Only when he's spotted again does he turn toward Osaka. It's also stated in the movie that the noise and light in Osaka draws him in, that's why when they shut everything down that the flares ALMOST work in drawing him away.

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

^ HAH. This guy gets it. Asian babes.

Anyways, back on topic. Big destruction movies all take place in big cities. Tokyo and Osaka are as iconic to the Japanese people as New York or Hollywood are to us. I mean, sure, godzilla could attack a small city or villages, but wouldn't a director be more interested in having his giant monster destroy recognizable places for the audience? It's kind of a no brainier to set a film in Tokyo if you use cheap miniatures and don't even need to film in Tokyo and deal with massive filming permits.
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

Godzilla and The Return of Godzilla: Tokyo
Godzilla Raids Again and Godzilla vs. Biollante: Osaka
King Kong vs. Godzilla and Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah: Parts of Hokkaido and Tokyo
Mothra vs. Godzilla and Godzilla vs. Mothra: Nagoya

My only conclusion is that it's a conspiracy.

ILL GREEN
Gotengo Officer

Post by ILL GREEN »

King Ghidorah was in New York for a brief stint. But Tokyo and Osaka are major cities and call for immediate action if a threat arises. A small village attacked will just be boring and a 2 paragraph filler on page 29 of the Times.

three
Keizer

Post by three »

symbolism. Godzilla also nails some villages and outlaying towns before coming in in Gojira. i remember the scenes of huts being ruined and wasn't there a boating attack as well prior?

also, i propose an end to these types of answers "because the director..." or something along those lines. give in context (to the universe) answers not sarcastic "because in real life during filming" unless it's relevant and intriguing.
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®
axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - bitch in space.

gzilla46
Futurian

Post by gzilla46 »

When I was little, I always thought it was because Godzilla just REALLY hates Japan for some reason. When I was little, I used to be like, "What? Did the Japanese steal his lunch money when he was a kid? What's his problem?"
Shadow Arena Records:

Wins: 1
Losses: 0