Godzilla's Movement in "Hedorah"

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Fighing On Fuji
GPN Volunteer

Godzilla's Movement in "Hedorah"

Post by Fighing On Fuji »

Watching Godzilla vs. Hedorah, I've noticed that the kaiju scenes seem unusually ponderous, especially for a late Showa film. Godzilla seems to move very slowly in comparison to his other movies. For example, when he torches the Hedorah goop, he moves his hands forward, then back, then his head back, then forward, and finally shoots breath. It seems like everything Godzilla does in this movie is very slow and deliberate-looking. It really makes this movie boring to me. I can see what Godzilla is going to do like 5 seconds before he does it, because all of his movements are slow, ponderous, and flamboyant.

I can't think of any other Godzilla movie that gave me the same feeling. Does anyone else notice this?

Jon
GPN Volunteer

Re: Godzilla's Movement in "Hedorah"

Post by Jon »

Haters gonna hate.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

The choreography in Gigan is overly slow, too. I think they overcranked a bit too much for these two films. The speed's less cumbersome in Megalon and onwards again.

Jon
GPN Volunteer

Post by Jon »

When you see the original trailer for Gigan, it isn't slowed down like that. I don't know what made them decide to do that.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

The only thing I thought was odd was godzilla would randomly do this mouth wiping motion for some reason but considering how some of these kaiju move its not really that weird

ILL GREEN
Gotengo Officer

Post by ILL GREEN »

Jon wrote:Haters gonna hate.
http://i.imgur.com/sv13qdr.png
Whoa. I just got the SD version yesterday. :P

MutheSquirrel
GPN Volunteer

Post by MutheSquirrel »

Because everyone was really, really high. That's really the only way I can explain most the things in that movie... especially the random animations. An "it's good when you're baked" movie.

ILL GREEN
Gotengo Officer

Post by ILL GREEN »

Well I just watched it last night and didn't feel any slow mo experience. Godzilla and Hedorah were merely having conversations between another during those pauses. If you speak daikaiju, you would know what they were saying. It was pretty funny too actually. :D

Beef Bigshot
Xilien Halfling

Post by Beef Bigshot »

well, i guess its safe to assume that hedorah's shit gas has an adverse affect on godzilla, thus making him slow
Resized Image

he-ba
Interpol Agent
Location: Sitting home and chatting with my best friend....... Titanosaurus!!

Post by he-ba »

I just hate how when the flying Hedorah is first shown Godzilla just flails his arms like he just won some contest, or he's swatting gnats, or he's cursing in daikaiju instead of actually doing something...... It's kind of amusing yet really annoying

And have you noticed how when G falls down in the same battle it looks like Harou Nakajima is SCARED to fall... He puts his hands down slowly and then rolls like a 4 year old in preschool............ And the slow mo doesn't help
TK's resident Titanosaurus super-fan

Maybe Minilla was some mutation inside a Kamacarus' ootheca and that's why they attacked..... Maybe Minilla ISN'T the Son of Godzilla! He's some weird Kamacari that Godzilla felt bad for!

..... Nope, the other guys would never accept that..........

I don't know even know what a he-ba is......

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BIG GUY!!!!!!!!

Godsteigman
Monsterland Worker

Post by Godsteigman »

I was wondering at the end of the film, when Godzilla is ripping into Hedorahs insides and throwing them around, were those more children, or just sludge that needed to be dried out. I watched this last night...such a fun flick, too bad they never followed up on *And Yet Another One* in Africa :)

Gothicserpent
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gothicserpent »

I think the slow movement was deliberate. I think they wanted the final battle to seem suspenseful.
"HAY ANGUIRUS"
"WHADDA WANT?"
"SUMPTIN FUNNEH GOIN ON, YOU BETTAH CHECK!"
"OKAY"
GTU wrote:There are so many concept versions of Bagan they could give him his own toyline. That's why I'm banking on a Monsterarts sub-line called SH Baganarts.

he-ba
Interpol Agent

Post by he-ba »

The good thing is when Godzilla flies it isn't slow....... it made it feel like it was over with, and fast.

Maybe Minilla was some mutation inside a Kamacarus' ootheca and that's why they attacked..... Maybe Minilla ISN'T the Son of Godzilla! He's some weird Kamacari that Godzilla felt bad for!

ILL GREEN
Gotengo Officer

Post by ILL GREEN »

Godsteigman wrote:I was wondering at the end of the film, when Godzilla is ripping into Hedorahs insides and throwing them around, were those more children, or just sludge that needed to be dried out. I watched this last night...such a fun flick, too bad they never followed up on *And Yet Another One* in Africa :)
I always thought they were alien devices to control Hedorah, but it was cleared up by Banno himself in saying that they were supposed to be Hedorah's eyeballs. After he said that, I checked Hedorah's eyes and although they're red, his iris is yellow like the balls.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

In the Japanese script (I'm sure someone like Keith could back me up), it's mentioned those are the hedrium cores of the creature, or his regenerative and death-ray power source.

he-ba
Interpol Agent

Post by he-ba »

Space Hunter M wrote:In the Japanese script (I'm sure someone like Keith could back me up), it's mentioned those are the hedrium cores of the creature, or his regenerative and death-ray power source.
You are correct!!! NO ONE BELIEVES ME WHEN I SAY THAT!!!

20th Century Boy
Futurian

Post by 20th Century Boy »

Space Hunter M wrote:In the Japanese script (I'm sure someone like Keith could back me up), it's mentioned those are the hedrium cores of the creature, or his regenerative and death-ray power source.
Didn't Banno himself say they were his eyes?

pikmintaro
G-Force Personnel

Post by pikmintaro »

20th Century Boy wrote:
How old was Banno when he said it? he might have gone senile and can't even remember himself, it's hard to choose whether to believe the script or the guy behind the entire movie (Unless he also made the script.), I think most people would just assume they were the eyeballs (or eggs) when watching the movie.

As for Godzilla's movement being slow, I can't really remember since the scene of Godzilla flying and tearing Hedorah apart kind of overshadows everything else.
"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13"
Favorite Godzilla movies
Showa Mothra vs Godzilla| Heisei Godzilla vs Destroyer| Millenium Godzilla Final Wars

20th Century Boy
Futurian

Post by 20th Century Boy »

pikmintaro wrote:
20th Century Boy wrote:
How old was Banno when he said it? he might have gone senile and can't even remember himself, it's hard to choose whether to believe the script or the guy behind the entire movie (Unless he also made the script.), I think most people would just assume they were the eyeballs (or eggs) when watching the movie.
I believe it was an interview from last year. I'll provide the link when I can, if anybody needs it. But I've always thought they were anything but his eyes. His eyes were red, not white, and Godzilla dug pretty deep into his body to get something he could have just plopped from his face. Not to mention the classic argument of clearly seeing the eyes later on. Personally, I am fine with accepting them as either eggs of Hedorah's offspring or organs allowing regenerative ablility.

But that's off topic. Anyways, I can't think of any reason why Godzilla moves so strangely in this movie. Perhaps Nakajima wanted a different approach to the character, since the movie is kind of a fresh entry in the series that differs from the rest. As for an in-universe explanation, ummm, the pollution and fumes in the air, ummm, made him dizzy? XD

he-ba
Interpol Agent

Post by he-ba »

Only one explanation: Hedorah ate all the cocaine addicts, so the pollution made Godzilla high... like everyone else!!!!!