Favorite Jun Tazaki Role?

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.

Captain Sonoda
No votes
General Masami Shinzo
13%
Captain Jinguji
13%
Chief Editor Arota
44%
Dr. Sakurai
19%
Red Bamboo Leader
6%
The General (WOTG)
6%
Dr. Yoshida
No votes
Other (please specify)
No votes

Total votes: 16

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

Jun Tazaki, born August 28th, 1913, deceased October 18th, 1985.
This guy's badass. Every time he's on screen there's this irresistible air of assertiveness and authority. One of my favorite familiar faces in classic Toho cinema.

20th Century Boy
Futurian

Re: Favorite Jun Tazaki Role?

Post by 20th Century Boy »

He definitely is a badass and I love almost every role he has, but I think he was the most round character and interesting persona as Captain Jinguji.

MutheSquirrel
GPN Volunteer

Post by MutheSquirrel »

I wish you'd listed the movie said character is from... while I remember him in the movies, I'll be damned if I can remember the names of every character in every Godzilla movie off the top of my head.

ILL GREEN
Gotengo Officer

Post by ILL GREEN »

Yeah, his acting is superior as an authority figure. Funny, I always recognized it but never appreciated until this thread :D

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Count me in for Arota, too. Tazaki was a natural for the authority roles. You could see it in his face.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

daijinryuu775489
Samurai

Post by daijinryuu775489 »

Even though he's more known for his tough military/reporter roles, it's cool to see a tough-looking person instead play a rational and more subtle character. For this reason, Dr. Sakurai is my favorite Jun Tazaki role. If any of his other roles were facing the Xian invasion, they probably would just use more tanks, missiles, and planes. Instead, Dr. Sakurai calmly and awesomely comes through with a scientific weapon more effective against the Xians and the monsters than any cannon shell. Dr. Sakurai FTW!
"You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance!"

Kaiser
G-Force Personnel

Post by Kaiser »

I always thought the editor's name was Murata or something similar sounding. I don't think "Arota" is an actual Japanese name. Regardless, it's his most memorable role and he owns every scene he's in. For those interested, he also had a small, but memorable part in the Kurosawa film High and Low as one of the shoe company executives and in a cameo in Ran as a Daimyo.