The film the mysterians is canonical with the godzilla serie

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Goji
Xilien Halfling

Re: The film the mysterians is canonical with the godzilla s

Post by Goji »

Oh my..you called me a sweetheart, and we haven't even had our first date yet. Let's not overstep our bounds now!
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Megalon-5
JXSDF Technician

Post by Megalon-5 »

Space Hunter M wrote:America and Eagleland are two different places and Giygas lost his original form. ...Wait what?
"You idiot! Giegue and Giygas are two different guys!"

Palaeogirl
GPN Volunteer

Post by Palaeogirl »

I usually think of all the Showa films as a single continuity, but I'm not saying that they were actually supposed to be. I prefer my version of Godzilla canon with all the films being canonical. I assume Godzilla exists in Revenge, he just isn't around at the time but I like the idea that Ichiro just likes Godzilla movies too.

he-ba
Interpol Agent
Location: Sitting home and chatting with my best friend....... Titanosaurus!!

Post by he-ba »

MutheSquirrel wrote: And fans LIKE canonizing films together because it's fun.
Thank you. Just.... thank you. You have finally stated my purpose in loving Kaiju movies (or... one of the purposes). Canon is YOUR canon in the kaiju genre. Canon is what you make of each movie. So what if there is an official canon. So what if Godzilla never meets Moguera in any movie. Canon is supposed to be fan made. Some won't agree, some will. But guess what? If a little boy watching GXM and GvGigan on the same weekend, experiencing Godzilla for the first time, is happy with the fact that it is the same Godzilla (never knowing Godzilla even DIES until a year later) and saying to his mom "I guess it is the same Godzilla!" and pretending to battle with his brother in the livingroom for 5 hours after each new movie believes it's canon, then go ahead little man! Go ahead! I really dislike the fact that "oh this is a new Godzilla" and "Oh this has nothing to do with the other films" because it messes everything up. It messes with the boy's head. I was that boy. I made my own canon. And although I have met a few people in my life that like Godzilla too, they all accepted my canon and I accepted theirs. MutheSquirrel, I have midterms tomorrow, and you lightened my day of review and study and practice. No one listens when I explain my canon on this forum, and they will now. And it's simple. All movies are interconnected, and there is no "New Godzilla." There was a Godzilla, he died. They found one more, he dies. His son takes over as King, and now we wait to see if he will return. There. That's it. My life in a nutshell. You have completed the circuit that has been waiting to be completed by another fan like you. It may sound creepy, but I spent a half hour writing his instead of studying all because of you. You literally changed my view on Kaiju. This is deep stuff, and I have been waiting for the right time to say it. I may be just a "fan," but everyone is entitled to an opinion. Just... thank you.

And I expect this to be someone's signature! :D
TK's resident Titanosaurus super-fan

Maybe Minilla was some mutation inside a Kamacarus' ootheca and that's why they attacked..... Maybe Minilla ISN'T the Son of Godzilla! He's some weird Kamacari that Godzilla felt bad for!

..... Nope, the other guys would never accept that..........

I don't know even know what a he-ba is......

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BIG GUY!!!!!!!!

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Can we please work on distinguishing between "canon" and "continuity"?

All Toho-approved kaiju films are part of Toho's kaiju canon.

That canon can be broken up based on what is or is not in continuity with any other material. For instance, there is a so-called Heisei Godzilla continuity, which is separate from the Heisei Mothra continuity, but both belong to the same canon.

The Mysterians is absolutely part of the same canon as the Godzilla franchise, which is why elements from it (masers, Mogera) appear in subsequent Godzilla (and other kaiju) films from Toho. This does not imply continuity per se, although it opens up the possibility of an interpretation that allows for it. I see no evidence to support any claims of direct continuity between The Mysterians and any of the Showa-era Godzilla movies, but I'd love to read somebody's case for it.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

It's okay to play with canon or continuity however you want, but just make sure you don't bring it up in a fact-based film discussion.

20th Century Boy
Futurian

Post by 20th Century Boy »

And honestly, the intended continuity is not that complicated to begin with.

GodzillaRangerPrime
JXSDF Technician

Post by GodzillaRangerPrime »

MutheSquirrel wrote:
I knew a great deal of people who would disagree that it's "fun". I'm not a child anymore, and like I said earlier, I don't see the point. Trying to piece these things together by literally assuming things is just silly. You're welcome to connect these films to your heart's content, but you shouldn't act so surprised when others don't share your enthusiasm.
Seriously? The "childish" argument? Really? People who get up on their high horse and claim things as childish or silly just because they don't enjoy it are being incredibly ignorant. "Why watch cartoons, they're for kids", "why play video games, that's for kids", "why watch silly monster movies, those are for kids". Just because YOU don't find something enjoyable anymore doesn't mean it's not to other people your age or older. If anything it's far more childish to put other people down for enjoying or doing something that has no effect on you whatsoever.

I'm not surprised by anything, as I said I wasn't forcing it as a fact. I was simply saying that if you DO want to have fun with it and connect the movies timelines it's not impossible, and offered a few examples off the top of my head of how you could do that.
Agreed :roll:
Chris55 wrote:
Underworld54 wrote:
GalacticPetey wrote:They're not half-assing the Star Wars movies.
I very much consider TFA to be half-assed. What a generic film which only fed on nostalgia, it brought nothing new to the table.
That's not true. C3PO had a red arm.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

You're absurdly late to the party.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.