The film the mysterians is canonical with the godzilla serie

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Goji
Xilien Halfling

Re: The film the mysterians is canonical with the godzilla s

Post by Goji »

What can I say? I cry myself to sleep about these things on a daily basis.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Mecha-SpaceGhidorah
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mecha-SpaceGhidorah »

Eh, to each their own I suppose.
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make its own judgments.
~ Zefram Cochrane (c. 2073)

mechabrent
Monarch Researcher

Post by mechabrent »

Goji wrote:What can I say? I cry myself to sleep about these things on a daily basis.
well good for you then. I hear tears are the best lubricant.
The United Nations are represented by the little brightly-colored dolphin boat.

TitanoGoji16
KWC Kontroller
KWC Kontroller

Post by TitanoGoji16 »

Goji wrote:Nothing about THE MYSTERIANS, GORATH, ATRAGON or BATTLE IN OUTER SPACE have anything to do with the Godzilla series.
Manda was in Destroy All Monsters, Godzilla's Revenge and Terror of Mechagodzilla.

I'll ignore Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla and Godzilla: Final Wars since I'm assuming you were simply referring to the Showa series.
"Name me one fight where Anguirus didn't get his dick kicked in."

gojira96
Monarch Researcher

Post by gojira96 »

TitanoGoji16 wrote:
Goji wrote:Nothing about THE MYSTERIANS, GORATH, ATRAGON or BATTLE IN OUTER SPACE have anything to do with the Godzilla series.
Manda was in Destroy All Monsters, Godzilla's Revenge and Terror of Mechagodzilla.
But it was in a different canon.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Yeah, when I said "they have nothing to do with", I meant the stories. I was pretty clear about that.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

MutheSquirrel
GPN Volunteer

Post by MutheSquirrel »

Does anything in Godzilla's Revenge really tie into anythings canon? I mean, even in-movie it's all a dream...

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

It's a meta-film. Godzilla is a movie monster, and Ichiro's favorite. When he's in his 'dream state', he's remembering scenes from past Godzilla movies, while also creating new scenes involving things from the real world (Gabara).

None of the events are "canon" with anything from the other films because Godzilla doesn't actually exist in REVENGE.

20th Century Boy
Futurian

Post by 20th Century Boy »

^ Where in the film is it stated that Godzilla is a fictional franchise?

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

It's not, but it's implied by Godzilla not even *being in the film* outside of Ichiro's fantasies.

If you have some substantial evidence to prove me wrong, then please, have at it.

Mecha-SpaceGhidorah
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mecha-SpaceGhidorah »

20th Century Boy wrote:^ Where in the film is it stated that Godzilla is a fictional franchise?
I don't think it ever states it out right. Therefore it would be perfectly acceptable to treat it as Godzilla is Ichiro's favorite real-life hero. I think most fans (and I agree here) treat it as more or less happening in our world and Godzilla being fictional in the movie.
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make its own judgments.
~ Zefram Cochrane (c. 2073)

20th Century Boy
Futurian

Goji wrote:It's not, but it's implied by Godzilla not even *being in the film* outside of Ichiro's fantasies.

If you have some substantial evidence to prove me wrong, then please, have at it.
That's just making an assumption. You could also say that The Mysterians is canon with the Showa series because there's no substantial evidence to disprove that.

;)

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Yeah, an assumption based on the film's narrative structure.

And please refrain from using " ;) ". It's not cute, it's just obnoxious.

20th Century Boy
Futurian

Goji wrote:Yeah, an assumption based on the film's narrative structure.
Really, the same kind of reasoning can be applied to Rodan's and Mothra's returns. They are recognized by the public in MvG and GtTHM, so the narrative supports the continuity assumption here as well. I'm not saying that they're canon or not, I just don't understand why you're being so selective here when it's clearly the same reasoning applied.
Goji wrote: And please refrain from using " ;) ". It's not cute, it's just obnoxious.
I say when something is cute or not!!! ;) ;) ;)

:P

MutheSquirrel
GPN Volunteer

Post by MutheSquirrel »

It's nice to see this topic has come full circle and nothing has been learned. =D The best part is the OP was never involved again...

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Cool selective reading 20th Century Fox! Again, Rodan appearing out of Mount Aso is literally the only thing that makes the possibility of it being the same Rodan, or another hatched from the same location, likely. If it were just some random volcano, then you wouldn't even be able to make a case for it, and would be the the same situation that it is with Mothra; where people (in the movie) are simply familiar with said creature, and nothing more. Doesn't suddenly mean their origin movies are "canon". The stories during this era were loose, and yada yada yada. I literally just went over all this shit dude..

If you want to assume the filmmakers were trying to fit them into the same continuity as the Godzilla films, go ahead, but excluding Rodan, the evidence isn't exactly strong (It's flat out non existent for every other monster other than Mothra and Rodan). The probability of them being two of Toho's most popular characters at the time could have had everything to do with them being introduced into the Godzilla series. Their presence in these movies was never meant to be dissected in such a ridiculously obsessive fashion.

MutheSquirrel
GPN Volunteer

Post by MutheSquirrel »

Doesn't it take equally the amount of ridiculous obsessiveness to argue against it too? I mean, you have to gather your own evidence and check your facts in order to counter-argue the point, no? Hypocrisy thy name is Goji~

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

It's TOO funny how predictable the above reply was; handpicking one word to projectile vomit back in my direction.

So, because I spent a few paragraph's making my case, it equates to being "obsessive"? You do realize I'm talking about the obsession fans have with continuity, right? (Unless of course you're just being willfully dense, and snarky on purpose).

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

America and Eagleland are two different places and Giygas lost his original form. ...Wait what?

MutheSquirrel
GPN Volunteer

Post by MutheSquirrel »

I'm ALWAYS wilfully dense and snarky on purpose sweetheart. You're just too easy to wind up! But getting too far off topic just to get up your nose will just earn me the wrath of mods. Ho-hum.

Seriously though, the continuity is lax WITHIN the Godzilla universe, even excluding outside films. As I've said before, no matter what path you take you have to ignore certain in-film events or add them in to make pretty much any theory work. It's like watching fans of Doctor Who tripping over their own feet trying to piece together all the glaring plot holes and continuity errors in that. But if people enjoy doing it, let them have their fun.