The film the mysterians is canonical with the godzilla serie

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
blackpower
Ronin

The film the mysterians is canonical with the godzilla serie

Post by blackpower »

Guys yesterday I watched the movie the mysterians, is I wanted to make you questions.
The film the mysterians is canonical with the godzilla series? And where was the King of the monsters in the events of the film the mysterians? And why not humans per year released in the prison of ice to face the alien menace of the mysterians is Mogera? :)

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Re: The film the mysterians is canonical with the godzilla s

Post by Goji »

No. They are not canonical with one another.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Megalon-5
JXSDF Technician

Post by Megalon-5 »

The Mysterians is only canon to Hanuman vs. 7 Ultraman and Space Warriors 2000.

MutheSquirrel
GPN Volunteer

Post by MutheSquirrel »

Well, it's never mentioned but there's no real reason why it 'couldn't' be. The Mysterians was in 1957, so it falls between Godzilla Raids Again and King Kong vs. Godzilla. At that time Godzilla would still be trapped in his glacial tomb in the Arctic. Remember at this time, he was still a terrible, savage monster.

There are many originally unconnected movies like Rodan, Varan and Mothra that Toho would eventually canonize into the Godzilla mythos a few years after their release, and the people of Earth even in the early 60s Godzilla movies never seemed 'overly' surprised at the existence of aliens, so one could argue that this was due to them already encountering them in 57. One could also argue that this is why in the Godzilla timeline technology progresses much faster, with interplanetary travel possible by the mid to late 60s (Invasion of Astro-Monster is set in 196X). They had access to alien tech to study. But again, it's not anything officially canon. It's just not anything officially uncanon either.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

They movies weren't "canonized" into the Godzilla series, only some of the characters were (Rodan, Varan, Mothra and MOGUERA). The Godzilla series simply adopted some of the characters and some of the JSDF tech (specifically the maser tanks) from some of Toho's other sci-fi films.

Also, why do people feel the need to piece all of these things together? It's harmless of course, but I just don't see the point.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

MutheSquirrel
GPN Volunteer

Post by MutheSquirrel »

The movie Mothra is canon with 64's Mothra vs. Godzilla, they reference the 1961 attack several times (it's also canon with Tokyo SOS, but I'm sticking with the Showa series only here). Rodan is also canon to Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster as Rodan is not a 'new' monster in that, it's just that one of them apparently died. The Rodan in Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster is awoken from the volcano he was buried in in the film Rodan. It's therefor fair to assume that Varan is canon too, he just wasn't made a big deal of. Moguera was never officially canonized in the Showa era though, one can only decide for themselves.

And fans LIKE canonizing films together because it's fun. Certain film studios realised this and cashed in on it with a little film called The Avengers. Toho also knew this during the Showa era, which is why so many of their films connect. It wouldn't be too much to think that The Mysterians was within the Showa monster series bible as an optional canon, just never expressly found a use for.

20th Century Boy
Futurian

Post by 20th Century Boy »

The Mysterians isn't canon with anything. Maybe, just maybe the Kiryu movies just because many other classic Toho sci-fi films are canon, but it may be kind of a stretch with The Mysterians.

Dust_pan
Futurian

Post by Dust_pan »

Goji wrote:Also, why do people feel the need to piece all of these things together? It's harmless of course, but I just don't see the point.
Out of fun, boredom, and a need for every Toho monster film to be connected somehow.

I don't do it (I just accept every movie as its own thing unless it directly refers to another film), but I can see why others do it.
Q: Will we see that monster that Bryan was going to reveal this morning at the press conference?
Cranston: Oh yeah! The only Godzilla movie with an X-rating.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

MutheSquirrel wrote:The movie Mothra is canon with 64's Mothra vs. Godzilla, they reference the 1961 attack several times.
Pretty sure nothing is outright referenced, and the only thing that is implied is that Mothra's existence was acknowledged before the events of MOTHRA VS. GODZILLA.
(it's also canon with Tokyo SOS, but I'm sticking with the Showa series only here)
Yes, that kind of goes without saying since they make it painfully obvious it's a direct sequel to MOTHRA.
Rodan is also canon to Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster as Rodan is not a 'new' monster in that, it's just that one of them apparently died. The Rodan in Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster is awoken from the volcano he was buried in in the film Rodan.
Yeah, I already know these things. That (and the adult Mothra in the '64 film) are the only instances where it's heavily implied to be the same character. Regardless of that, nothing from the film RODAN is directly referenced, and if it weren't for the Mount Aso location, you couldn't really make a case for them being the same Rodan.

The Showa era had very loose continuity, and it certainly wasn't something the filmmakers cared a great deal about.
It's therefor fair to assume that Varan is canon too, he just wasn't made a big deal of. Moguera was never officially canonized in the Showa era though, one can only decide for themselves.
I guess so. OR, you can just look them as the stand alone movies that they are..

Nothing about THE MYSTERIANS, GORATH, ATRAGON or BATTLE IN OUTER SPACE have anything to do with the Godzilla series.
And fans LIKE canonizing films together because it's fun. Certain film studios realised this and cashed in on it with a little film called The Avengers. Toho also knew this during the Showa era, which is why so many of their films connect. It wouldn't be too much to think that The Mysterians was within the Showa monster series bible as an optional canon, just never expressly found a use for.
I knew a great deal of people who would disagree that it's "fun". I'm not a child anymore, and like I said earlier, I don't see the point. Trying to piece these things together by literally assuming things is just silly. You're welcome to connect these films to your heart's content, but you shouldn't act so surprised when others don't share your enthusiasm.

Saying that THE MYSTERIANS could be canonical just because it was never referenced in any the Showa Godzilla films is reaaaaally stretching it. Why can't it just be the self contained story that the filmmakers intended it to be?

THE AVENGERS existed in comics far before Hollywood had any serious interest in making superhero films, so.. that reference really doesn't make any sense. Sorry.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

Is Oops! We Broke the Table canonical with Stupid Mario Brothers because it featured Nox Decious and Merlin? No, but ideas and characters appear, modified of course in the latter example.

MutheSquirrel
GPN Volunteer

Post by MutheSquirrel »

Pretty sure nothing is outright referenced, and the only thing that is implied is that Mothra's existence was acknowledged before the events of MOTHRA VS. GODZILLA.
Yes, it is. They mention Mothra's previous attack on Japan and not wanting it to happen again.
The Showa era had very loose continuity, and it certainly wasn't something the filmmakers cared a great deal about.
I won't argue with that. The Showa series did a LOT of retconning with their films. Like Anguirus's resurrection from the dead. But loose continuity is still continuity. A LOT of series tend to contradict their own previously established canon while still being canon. Hell, even Terminator 2 does.
I guess so. OR, you can just look them as the stand alone movies that they are..
Thus I said "fair to assume" instead of "ABSOLUTE FACT!" You can either think it is or think it isn't, but you can't absolutely know either way.
I knew a great deal of people who would disagree that it's "fun". I'm not a child anymore, and like I said earlier, I don't see the point. Trying to piece these things together by literally assuming things is just silly. You're welcome to connect these films to your heart's content, but you shouldn't act so surprised when others don't share your enthusiasm.
Seriously? The "childish" argument? Really? People who get up on their high horse and claim things as childish or silly just because they don't enjoy it are being incredibly ignorant. "Why watch cartoons, they're for kids", "why play video games, that's for kids", "why watch silly monster movies, those are for kids". Just because YOU don't find something enjoyable anymore doesn't mean it's not to other people your age or older. If anything it's far more childish to put other people down for enjoying or doing something that has no effect on you whatsoever.

I'm not surprised by anything, as I said I wasn't forcing it as a fact. I was simply saying that if you DO want to have fun with it and connect the movies timelines it's not impossible, and offered a few examples off the top of my head of how you could do that.
Saying that THE MYSTERIANS could be canonical just because it was never referenced in any the Showa Godzilla films is reaaaaally stretching it. Why can't it just be the self contained story that the filmmakers intended it to be?
It can be. It probably is. Doesn't mean it can't be if you enjoy creating a complex interconnected fantasy world to play in.
THE AVENGERS existed in comics far before Hollywood had any serious interest in making superhero films, so.. that reference really doesn't make any sense. Sorry.
That was in comics. Comics are actually the best example of retconning their own stories to connect various characters. Those are written by adults too, that enjoy doing it, and understand fans enjoy doing it.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

MutheSquirrel wrote: It can be. It probably is. Doesn't mean it can't be if you enjoy creating a complex interconnected fantasy world to play in.
This is, without a doubt, the dumbest thing you're trying to argue. Why is it "probably"? Based on what?
Those are written by adults too, that enjoy doing it, and understand fans enjoy doing it.
Are you saying it's not safe to assume they were written by giant man-babies? :eh:

Dust_pan
Futurian

Post by Dust_pan »

I don't see why "for fun" or "for boredom" can't be a reason for why some fans try to bridge all of the movies together. It's not like there are any other answers to it.

Like I said, I don't agree with it and ultimately it is pointless (maybe even a little obsessive), especially since Toho seemingly never cared for continuity. But as long as it isn't taken seriously, I don't see the problem with it.
Q: Will we see that monster that Bryan was going to reveal this morning at the press conference?
Cranston: Oh yeah! The only Godzilla movie with an X-rating.

MutheSquirrel
GPN Volunteer

Post by MutheSquirrel »

This is, without a doubt, the dumbest thing you're trying to argue. Why is it "probably"? Based on what?
I'm saying it's probably stand alone. Try to keep up here!
Are you saying it's not safe to assume they were written by giant man-babies? :eh:
I know a lot of people would say the same about the entire Godzilla series.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Well good, because it is.

It's also kind of bizarre that you replied to my obviously-not-serious retort with a jab at the series you're supposedly a fan of.

MutheSquirrel
GPN Volunteer

Post by MutheSquirrel »

Dust_pan wrote:Like I said, I don't agree with it and ultimately it is pointless (maybe even a little obsessive), especially since Toho seemingly never cared for continuity. But as long as it isn't taken seriously, I don't see the problem with it.
It's only obsessive if you kidnap the creators and force them to make a movie that connects the films at gun point, and I've only done that twice, at most. I wouldn't say pointless though. Pointless to you, yes. Pointless to anyone that enjoys it, no. By that argument any form of entertainment you don't personally enjoy can be deemed pointless.

Completely agree with the seriously part though. I'll defend peoples' rights to do it, but I'd never try to argue it as some kind of fact. THAT is being overly obsessive.
Goji wrote:It's also kind of bizarre that you replied to my obviously-not-serious retort with a jab at the series you're supposedly a fan of.
It's also kind of bizarre that you replied to my obviously-not serious jab at the series. It's like a jab within a jab. Jabception!

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

MutheSquirrel wrote:
Yes, it is. They mention Mothra's previous attack on Japan and not wanting it to happen again.
No, they don't. They mention that, if a larva hatched, it would cause great damage trying to find food. That's not a reference to the previous movie.

mechabrent
Monarch Researcher

Post by mechabrent »

I do not see why anyone would have a problem with figuring out how it could be canonical. Not to mention Manda was in a standalone film called Atragon before being folded into Godzilla and the Gotengo from Atragon was folded into Final Wars. Mogera was in Space Godzilla and while it is never stated that it is part of the same continuity that does not mean it could not be. If people enjoy making up a reasoning to how they are connected then more power to them. I will enjoy reading the fan theories.
The United Nations are represented by the little brightly-colored dolphin boat.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

FINAL WARS had references to *tons* of Toho's sci-fi from the golden era, not just things from the Godzilla series. Gorath is even in there. Are we going to assume that GORATH was canon with the Showa Godzilla series because it had an appearance in a Godzilla film 42 years later? Of course not.

Mecha-SpaceGhidorah
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mecha-SpaceGhidorah »

You're acting as though coming up with overly complex fan theories is hurting you. Why? I personally don't care for them, although some have been kind of entertaining in their own right. As long as no one goes around saying that all the films are canon to one another, what does it matter if someone comes up with a way that, for them, illustrates that the could be? Godzilla is supposed to be fun after all. I just don't get it.
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make its own judgments.
~ Zefram Cochrane (c. 2073)