Regeneration Ability Topic

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Regeneration Ability Topic

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

So, Godzilla is always known to have regeneration abilities, but Showa too?
Was this an ability that Godzilla always had, or first introduced in the Heisei era?
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

LiquidG
Terminated
Terminated

Re: Regeneration Ability Topic

Post by LiquidG »

This is really hard to say, one would think, but I don't think it was ever stated that he had regenerative abilities. I think it was just he was very durable, if Godzilla Vs Hedorah is in continuity with the other 70s films it would be safe to say he does possess this ability considering his eye and hand was burnt really badly and latter on both appeared to be fine.
TK's official member of the "Three L's of the Apocalypse"

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

It's been a long time since I've seen either movie, but weren't there scenes in GvsG and GvsMG where he was badly injured and weak, but then was able to instantly recover? I think there was a flash of light involved.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Monster Zero
Futurian

Post by Monster Zero »

There was lightning on GvsMG74.

Gojira1963
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira1963 »

I really don't think this was addressed until after the Showa series.
Liam F.

My science fiction/Fantasy blog. with Godzilla content! http://foleyfunfilmfacts.wordpress.com/

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

If I remember correctly, it was G vs Biollante where Godzilla's regenerative abilities were first mentioned. Before this, Godzilla was just shown as being very hard to kill.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

pikmintaro
G-Force Personnel

Post by pikmintaro »

Wasn't the explanation in the Varan movie basically that they were literally made of rubber or something like that, and that's why nothing could hurt them?
"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13"
Favorite Godzilla movies
Showa Mothra vs Godzilla| Heisei Godzilla vs Destroyer| Millenium Godzilla Final Wars

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

^ wut. These monsters are portrayed as real flesh-and-blood creatures. How could "made of rubber" be an in-universe explanation for their durability?
JAGzilla wrote:It's been a long time since I've seen either movie, but weren't there scenes in GvsG and GvsMG where he was badly injured and weak, but then was able to instantly recover? I think there was a flash of light involved.
Are you referring to Godzilla 'activating' his magnetism abilities in VS. MECHAGODZILLA? Because I don't think that would have anything to do with his regenerative abilities. There also aren't any 'flashes' in any of the other Showa films to indicate that's what's happening on screen.

I think early on, he was just considered to be extremely durable. With the Heisei and Millennium series, they decided to explain his resilience with regenerative abilities.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

The way I remembered it, he'd be on the verge of losing the battle, then his whole body flashed or glowed for a few seconds, and he'd come out of it fully recovered and go back on offense. Like I said, though, it's been probably eight years since I've seen either movie. I guess it must've been the magnetism thing I was thinking of.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

^ I think it's safe to say that it is, yeah. :)
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

20th Century Boy
Futurian

Post by 20th Century Boy »

Wait, why are people saying regeneration was introduced in the Heisei series? I thought it was first introduced in Godzilla 2000.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

It's not directly stated in G vs Biollante, but hinted at by Dr. Shirigami. If you want direct statement of it, then you're right.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Irys X
Interpol Agent

Post by Irys X »

It wasn't specifically mentioned before the Heisei series, but G's regen was present in the Showa series. Take, for instance, Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla ('74). Mechagodzilla opened up Godzilla's throat with a few missiles and sent blood spurting everywhere. Godzilla was down for the count, but then he got up a few minutes, maybe seconds later, and new skin had grown in the area where before there had been only holes and fountains of blood. The skin was clearly regrown under the old skin, so it shows impressive regenerative power. Another example is in Godzilla vs Gigan. G gets his shoulder sliced open by Gigan's buzzsaw and blood spurts, but a few moments later, the scar cut is healed and no blood spurts.
My Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla stop motion movie -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fshhA8BWuLw

Rodan vs. F-22 Raptor - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9q3V02iy_Xw

Wrath of Mechagodzilla - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4xHP8C_vWw

Dillyziller
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Dillyziller »

I always thought Godzilla had regeneration in vs Hedorah.
^This post in sexually offensive.

ILL GREEN
Gotengo Officer

Post by ILL GREEN »

Gojira1963 wrote:I really don't think this was addressed until after the Showa series.
Exactly, it was always there, just never focused on.

Godzilla always seems to lose a battle but then he miraculously gets up and ends it like in Terror of MechaGodzilla, Tyrannosarus and Mecha had Godzilla in a dug grave but then he pops up and atomic breath them both.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

Seems more like continuity problems rather than regen if you ask me....
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

Irys X
Interpol Agent

Post by Irys X »

Lain Of The Wired wrote:Seems more like continuity problems rather than regen if you ask me....
That's very likely true, but given the later explanation that Godzilla does in fact have regen, it's not much of a stretch to just use that explanation for errors in the Showa series. That way, when watching scenes where errors like that are displayed, you can say, "Oh, there's Godzilla regeneration," Instead of, "Well they screwed that up."
My Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla stop motion movie -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fshhA8BWuLw

Rodan vs. F-22 Raptor - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9q3V02iy_Xw

Wrath of Mechagodzilla - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4xHP8C_vWw

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Irys X wrote:
Lain Of The Wired wrote:Seems more like continuity problems rather than regen if you ask me....
That's very likely true, but given the later explanation that Godzilla does in fact have regen, it's not much of a stretch to just use that explanation for errors in the Showa series. That way, when watching scenes where errors like that are displayed, you can say, "Oh, there's Godzilla regeneration," Instead of, "Well they screwed that up."
What "errors" are we talking about, specifically?

By the end of HEDORAH, we can clearly see the damage that Hedorah's sulfuric acid has caused to Godzilla. In MECHAGODZILLA, Godzilla still has blood all over him up until he's thrown into the ocean following the destruction of MechG.

Godzilla didn't bleed prior to 1972, so if it was a "continuity issue", what exactly was breaking continuity in the earlier films? Are we suggesting that Godzilla should have shown more 'battle damage' after his scuffs with Kong, Ghidorah, and others during the '60s?

When he was still alive, Eiji Tsuburaya was against having any of the monsters bleed. I'm not sure if that's common knowledge among fans or not, but it does shed some light on why things weren't as violent early on. There were a few exceptions, of course, like Jirass's frill being torn off by Ultraman, or Godzilla stomping Ghidorah's necks into the ground in DAM, but I'm assuming he meant he didn't want these monsters to be gushing blood; ala MechaG turning Godzilla into a radioactive blood sprinkler.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Goji wrote:
When he was still alive, Eiji Tsuburaya was against having any of the monsters bleed. I'm not sure if that's common knowledge among fans or not, but it does shed some light on why things weren't as violent early on. There were a few exceptions, of course, like Jirass's frill being torn off by Ultraman, or Godzilla stomping Ghidorah's necks into the ground in DAM, but I'm assuming he meant he didn't want these monsters to be gushing blood; ala MechaG turning Godzilla into a radioactive blood sprinkler.
That didn't stop Ultraseven from violently decapitating Eleking, or slicing open Gyeron's throat. :lol: