Talkback Thread #2: Godzilla Raids Again (1955)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Kaiser
G-Force Personnel

Re: Talkback Thread #2: Godzilla Raids Again (1955)

Post by Kaiser »

What is it about the awkward speed up motion of the fight that so many people like? I just can't wrap my head around it. I don't see any of the ferocity people claim the fight exhibits, the fight just looks strange and feels like it should have yakety sax playing in the background.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

Pkmatrix wrote: But I'd like to talk more about the Godzilla vs Anguirus fight. In my opinion no other Godzilla battle has even come CLOSE to the sheer brutality and realism that this clash brings. I think the sped up footage actually helps with the feeling of viciousness.
Puppet Gigantis and Angurus on a sugar overdose = BRUTAL

The best part is easily the destruction of the castle.

Gothicserpent
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gothicserpent »

Lain Of The Wired wrote:
Gothicserpent wrote:I think it's a decent film.

But I'd like to talk more about the Godzilla vs Anguirus fight. In my opinion no other Godzilla battle has even come CLOSE to the sheer brutality and realism that this clash brings.
*cough* Godzilla 2014 *cough*
The final battle of the new Godzilla was animalistic and brutal, but I don't think it had the sheer terror of the Godzilla vs Anguirus fight.
Space Hunter M wrote:
Pkmatrix wrote: But I'd like to talk more about the Godzilla vs Anguirus fight. In my opinion no other Godzilla battle has even come CLOSE to the sheer brutality and realism that this clash brings. I think the sped up footage actually helps with the feeling of viciousness.
Puppet Gigantis and Angurus on a sugar overdose = BRUTAL

The best part is easily the destruction of the castle.

I will admit the puppets can be distracting and goofy ant times, but I really think the fast paced movement emphasizes the tooth and claw fighting.
"HAY ANGUIRUS"
"WHADDA WANT?"
"SUMPTIN FUNNEH GOIN ON, YOU BETTAH CHECK!"
"OKAY"
GTU wrote:There are so many concept versions of Bagan they could give him his own toyline. That's why I'm banking on a Monsterarts sub-line called SH Baganarts.

he-ba
Interpol Agent
Location: Sitting home and chatting with my best friend....... Titanosaurus!!

Post by he-ba »

I wish it wasn't balack and white for the reason to see the blood. If you look closely, whenever the puppets are on screen, there is blood everywhere. It would be a nice touch if there was a colored version
TK's resident Titanosaurus super-fan

Maybe Minilla was some mutation inside a Kamacarus' ootheca and that's why they attacked..... Maybe Minilla ISN'T the Son of Godzilla! He's some weird Kamacari that Godzilla felt bad for!

..... Nope, the other guys would never accept that..........

I don't know even know what a he-ba is......

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BIG GUY!!!!!!!!

three
Keizer

Post by three »

finally, finally got to see this movie in japanese without distractions. it's no wonder at all that it's one of my all time favorites. i can give a more detailed and layered review if you guys would like here, but for now i'll say that i have done a full 180 on the suits, and this poor movie suffers from being smack dab on the front lines of the greatest run of critically awesome films in the history of the franchise. truly underrated.
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®
axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - bitch in space.

Gojora
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gojora »

he-ba wrote:I wish it wasn't black and white for the reason to see the blood. If you look closely, whenever the puppets are on screen, there is blood everywhere. It would be a nice touch if there was a colored version
If it was it'll be red.
Also fixed.
TK's Touhou resident.
Basically the only guy here that likes the Shadow Arena.
RIP Shadow Arena, it was my favorite place...
Resized Image
Kaijunator wrote:
Derzerb wrote:Apocalymon makes this fight one-sided since he can flat out delete enemies or he could just wipe out the entire dimension.
Delete enemies. Lol.
Apocalymon: I want to delete my opponents. *goes to computer* and delete! *presses delete button, all enemies get deleted*.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Gonna sound crazy, but this suit is probably my favorite from the Showa era. Its a strange suit, but I love it! Need to give the film another watch sometime, but I remember it being quite underrated.

Even getting the X-plus vinyl figure since I love the suit so much.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

skuzzy-punk-kid
Monarch Researcher

Post by skuzzy-punk-kid »

he-ba wrote:I wish it wasn't balack and white for the reason to see the blood. If you look closely, whenever the puppets are on screen, there is blood everywhere. It would be a nice touch if there was a colored version
Imagine if the movie remained black and white, but the blood was colored...

Is that too Frank Miller-esque?
What :g2k:is :g2k:so :g2k:frikkin' :g2k:wrong :g2k:with :g2k:the :g2k:frikkin' :g2k:G2K :g2k:smiley :g2k:?
The :g2k:G2K :g2k:smiley :g2k:is :g2k:not :g2k:causing :g2k:you :g2k:any :g2k:freakin' :g2k:harm :g2k:!!!

AllPowersCombined
Ronin

Post by AllPowersCombined »

Such an underrated movie. My God. I don't find it boring at all. Weak compared to the original? Yeah, well nothing weird about that. But it's a good movie nevertheless. Awkwardly put between the beloved classic from 1954 and the colorful era of the 60s no wonder it's often overlooked.

I'm also a fan of the animalistic, brutal fighting. Also because it's only present in this movie. I understand that if it were used in more pictures it'd be a problem. Osaka is only a playground for the monsters. I love how they don't even care. They're so preoccupied with each other. The musics fits the tone as well. Especially the fragment where they stop fighting for a moment and Anguirus moves his head a bit for some reason. I don't know but I always remember that moment.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

AllPowersCombined wrote:Awkwardly put between the beloved classic from 1954 and the colorful era of the 60s no wonder it's often overlooked.
Pretty much. This film's still fairly interesting once in a while for having the distinction of being "the sequel". With so many other films attempting to follow up on the first movie, just in the back of my head, I almost "forget" it even exists sometimes.

AllPowersCombined
Ronin

Post by AllPowersCombined »

By the way, is there a photo of Motoyoshi Oda?

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

he-ba wrote:I wish it wasn't balack and white for the reason to see the blood. If you look closely, whenever the puppets are on screen, there is blood everywhere. It would be a nice touch if there was a colored version
I think this film looks better in black and white. I feel it suits the lighting and the suits better.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Mr. Xeno
Futurian

Post by Mr. Xeno »

Haven't seen this movie in a while, but I remember honestly really liking it. Can't really say why personally, other than it just simply worked (for me). Considering how the entire thing was conceived, shot, edited, and released in less than 6 months, it's remarkably watchable.
Castellan Zilla wrote:What? No dots on SHMA Mothra?! In the trash she goes.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Hm I'm kind of neutral towards Raids Again but this thread is making me want to re-watch both version again. I mean I'm a huge Anguirus fan and I do appreciate the horror elements and I kind of like the undercrank. It's just such a weird film where the other monster is killed/maimed around the middle and isn't part of the big finale.

I guess that's one thing Kingdom of Monsters did right was re-capture the helplessness of Godzilla and Angurius fighting through a city, more of a horror event than a fun monster fight.

I think one of my earlier tvtropes additions was adding the classic line 'aaah banana oil' to the Raids Again page.

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

Mr. Xeno wrote:Considering how the entire thing was conceived, shot, edited, and released in less than 6 months, it's remarkably watchable.
Having been produced under those circumstances, the film turned out fairly well. It's not really a bad film, just too average for its own good. There isn't much to make it stand out compared to its competition. So it's understandable that it is often times forgotten.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I wouldn't say forgotten. Underrated, yes, but not forgotten.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Been spending the day with it and since I don't re-watch it as often as Biollante or Monster Zero it seems it takes me longer to appreciate more things about it. Even though a few years ago the commentary pointed out how many special effects they had to do in just six weeks. I love the Godzilla experts they got for the Classic Media DVDs, the guy who did Godzilla's Revenge was hilarious and pretty thought provoking while Steve Ryfle's dry wit strangely matches the film.

I've always liked the introduction to Godzilla and Anguirus, we see much of their fight between two mountains and only get a brief clear shot. While I think Angurius needed some kind of distinct opening scene, he pops up earlier because he's hunting Godzilla, this does kind of give the impression of two average joes getting caught up in a monster rivalry one day.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

One thing I love about the film is how much personality they put into Godzilla.

three
Keizer

Post by three »

i saw a post in the GTTHM thread about weaving the story well into the movie; this movie does the same thing at least as well. the tragedy of being sent out to take down Godzilla while all the poor guy wants to do is settle down is really tightly wrapped like a bow on a gift around the movie.

the fact that their success rate is so low makes it that much more powerful. it's like a going to war story. i think you can easily make a metaphor out of this movie for japan's struggle against outside powers from the micro level, or soldier and countryman, pov better than any other movie in the franchise. what makes it even more special is that it wasn't even trying to be that profound.
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®
axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - bitch in space.

Beef Bigshot
Xilien Halfling

Post by Beef Bigshot »

edgaguirus wrote:I wouldn't say forgotten. Underrated, yes, but not forgotten.
Agreed. Why I love this movie is because it has so many good scenes. When Godzilla and anguirus are first revealed, when they arrive at the docks,the flare scenes, Godzilla killing anguirus (pretty chilling for his first kill ever), and finally Godzilla fighting the planes as chunks of ice drop on him.

A lot of great scenes that I think people disregard because of backward dialogue or the general consensus that, " ER DIS FILM SUCKS"
Resized Image