Are you partial to any DUBS? Plus, Brandon's awesome reviews

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Tek
Monsterland Worker

Are you partial to any DUBS? Plus, Brandon's awesome reviews

Post by Tek »

Are there any Godzilla dubs you grew up on that you love?

I particularly am fond of the Invasion of Monster Zero dub. I think they handled it well and it almost convinces me that the original language was English. My favorite scene was when Nick Adams got thrown into jail with the inventor. Nick goes "Funny running into you in a place like this" and the dub responds "Yeah, I'm going to die laughing."

That dub also has one of my favorite lines ever: "We've got a tiger at the front door, and a wolf at the back." Anyone know what the actual JP language was during that dubbed line? I'm curious if it's the same thing. Whatever it is, it's clever and I use it in real life as a substitute to "We're stuck between a rock and a hard place" and people always respond "That's clever, where did you pick that up?"

I thought overall that the Monster Zero dub was just great! I'm picky about my dubs, but that one has always been one of my favorites.
There is a Sea Monster dub that I liked too, but unfortunately the 50th Anniversary DVD version gave us the crappier dub.

BTW, speaking of Monster Zero, check out Brandon's entertaining 20 minute review here. He also did Sea Monster, and will do more G film reviews in the future. LOVE HIS WORK!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLyncCWDdrI

Mecha-SpaceGhidorah
JXSDF Technician

Re: Are you partial to any DUBS? Plus, Brandon's awesome rev

Post by Mecha-SpaceGhidorah »

There aren't any dubs that I prefer, though there are many I don't mind. As far as ones I like I'd have to say I agree with you about Invasion of Astro-Monster, I love that one. It just works on so many levels for me.

P.S. In regards to the "We've got a tiger at the front door, and a wolf at the back" line, I don't remember off of the top of my head, but I'll try to go through and see. Does anyone know roughly where it is in the movie so I can check quickly. (I know that if I just put the English in to see, I'll end up watching the whole thing. Then once I put the Japanese version on to compare, I'll so the same with that one. :D)
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make its own judgments.
~ Zefram Cochrane (c. 2073)

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I must say I love the American dub of Son of Godzilla.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Mecha-SpaceGhidorah
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mecha-SpaceGhidorah »

Okay, I just checked my copy of the Classic Media release and according to the subtitles the line is, "Either way it's between Scylla and Charybdis." I don't know enough Japanese to say if that's actually what he's saying or just what the translators went with, but if it is the phrase he uses it does have the same meaning as the tiger/wolf line at least, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Between_Sc ... _Charybdis. To bad it's not the same in both, that would have been great in my opinion. :)
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make its own judgments.
~ Zefram Cochrane (c. 2073)

MustafaDaisenso
Monarch Researcher

Post by MustafaDaisenso »

Gigantis, Monster Zero, Godzilla vs Gigan, and Mechagodzilla would be my favorite dubs, coincidentally of my favorite movies.
"I'm a freelance reporter, but... you could call me a scandal hunter hahahaha…"
Check out my YouTube channel for restored Toku trailers in HD
Rodan 1.85:1 US Reconstruction Thread

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

I have never, and no have intent on watching GIGAN, MEGALON and MECHAGODZILLER subtitled. Those dubs are the greatest thing to ever grace mankind.
Last edited by MaxRebo320 on Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Megalon-5
JXSDF Technician

Post by Megalon-5 »

MaxRebo320 wrote:I have never, and no have intent on watching GIGAN, MEGALON and MECHAGODZILLER subtitled. Those dubs are the greatest thing to ever grace mankind.
Agreed. The Terror dub is godlike too.

Also, I think I prefer the Frotiner DAM dub to the AIP one. *runs*

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Megalon-5 wrote: Also, I think I prefer the Frotiner DAM dub to the AIP one. *runs*
I like both equally, for different reasons. Think I prefer the Frontier SON to the Titra one though.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

charliesheenkaiju
Interpol Agent

Post by charliesheenkaiju »

I never knew there were different dubs when i watched them as a kid, and im not sure which was which as most of the showa films i caught on tv like amc and scifi. I know i heard the titra dub for Godzilla vs. hedorah.. yea didnt like that. I do think some of the best dubs were in King of the monsters, mothra vs Godzilla, vs. monster zero, frankenstein conquers the world, and terror of mechagodzilla. The less serious films like Godzilla vs. the sea monster and Gigan are my guilty pleasures, not the best but silly enough to enjoy.
Kong better not touch my drumset!

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

The English dub of Gigan is the international dub isn't it? I believe the same is true for Megalon and Mechagodzilla.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:The English dub of Gigan is the international dub isn't it? I believe the same is true for Megalon and Mechagodzilla.
Yup, same applies to TERROR, BIOLLANTE and every film after it, sans G2K.

Monster Zero
Futurian

Post by Monster Zero »

I really like any dub. Most of them are really good.

Sid
Ronin

Post by Sid »

monster zero wrote:I really like any dub. Most of them are really good.
Even gODZILLA VS. KING GHBIDORAH?

Monster Zero
Futurian

Post by Monster Zero »

I said most of them are good, and that one is actually okay to me. I really don't care for dubs, so yeah it's okay to me.

three
Keizer

Post by three »

1985. other than that i prefer dubs because i'm too lazy to read my movies, though if i have no choice i'd gladly watch the original version of any film.

EDIT: realized just now i was in the showa thread. whoopsie daisy. as far as showa goes, i prefer the dubs.
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®
axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - bitch in space.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

I found I enjoy Monster Zero more dubbed than subbed. So far it's the only one, though.

tymon
Futurian

Post by tymon »

There are a few dubs I still have nostalgia for, from a lot of the VHS tapes I watched relgiously as a kid in the 90's. But nowadays I just watch everything with subtitles (except for G2K - not because of its decent dub, but because of the new editing and music/sound effect choices made that resulted in a far better film than its dull Japanese counterpoint). I always prefer hearing the actors' original performances, in respect for the actor if nothing else.

But I'm glad dubbing's around, and will continue to be around so that kids can enjoy these films the same way I did. Let's just hope the studios can take dubbing more seriously and give us some good voice-actors instead of the clowns we've been stuck with on the majority of Toho's international dubs.
JAGzilla wrote:And then there was The Giant Condor. He...seemed very dedicated to what he was doing?

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Simple, I prefer to watch the Showa films dubbed and the Heisei /Shinsei films subbed. It's what I'm most used to. The only Heisei film I haven't seen subbed is Mothra. I also prefer the American cut of Return of Godzilla because of Burr and the cconsiderably better pacing. I honestly found Return to be rather boring. It really pissed me off that Tristar could only release the International dubs, especially for Son and Sea Monster.

MustafaDaisenso
Monarch Researcher

Post by MustafaDaisenso »

Not to mention that dubs fit in better with the crazier showa films, such as Megalon and Mechagodzilla, which are unabashedly comic-booky in nature. With subtitles, one might be dared to take the action too seriously, especially since its supposed to be lightweight action adventure.

Terror of Mechagodzilla is the only '70's showa film I prefer with subtitles because I think the dub isn't as enjoyable as previous entries, and that subs fit better with the serious nature of the film.
"I'm a freelance reporter, but... you could call me a scandal hunter hahahaha…"
Check out my YouTube channel for restored Toku trailers in HD
Rodan 1.85:1 US Reconstruction Thread

Gojira1963
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira1963 »

I pretty much only watch the dubs.
Liam F.

My science fiction/Fantasy blog. with Godzilla content! http://foleyfunfilmfacts.wordpress.com/