Rainbowman

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Zubat
Samurai

Rainbowman

Post by Zubat »

Rainbowman is the name of a character in the tokusatsu TV series Warrior of Love Rainbowman. Created by Kōhan Kawauchi, this was the first superhero TV series produced by Toho, and was broadcast on NET from October 6, 1972 to September 18, 1973, with a total of 52 episodes.

This is where all the discussion of the series can take place!
Resident Sadamasa Arikawa Fan.

快傑ズバット

Megalon-5
JXSDF Technician

Re: Rainbowman

Post by Megalon-5 »

Basically, in a nutshell, I haven't seen Rainbowman. Even when I've looked around subtitle sites. Nothing. What I'd really like to see is a full box set released here. Although, from what I've heard, it's different than most tokusatsu shows that I'm used to watching. Generally though, as long as a show's good, I don't care. Nevermind if it's something I'm not used to. Eventually, I can maaaaybe see this coming to the states. Regardless of subs or not or the lack of an official release, I want to see it REAL bad!

Zubat
Samurai

Post by Zubat »

Megalon-5 wrote:Basically, in a nutshell, I haven't seen Rainbowman. Even when I've looked around subtitle sites. Nothing. What I'd really like to see is a full box set released here. Although, from what I've heard, it's different than most tokusatsu shows that I'm used to watching. Generally though, as long as a show's good, I don't care. Nevermind if it's something I'm not used to. Eventually, I can maaaaybe see this coming to the states. Regardless of subs or not or the lack of an official release, I want to see it REAL bad!
Interestingly enough, at G-Fest 2009 there were some VHS Tapes (bootlegs, of course), that had the first three episodes. And was only 1 Dollar! I think that shows that there is some what of a "following" for it. Which makes sense considering it aired with alot of other shows in Hawaii, back in the day. Oh and just so you know, the series starts off REALLY slow, but it picks up pace during the last 10-14 episodes.

As for getting a official release, I would not bet on it. Perhaps the 2014 movie will spur some interest in Toho stuff... but I doubt that reaching to poor old Rainbowman.

快傑ズバット

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

Not familiar with this show. StarMan, yes! Rainbowman, no.

Zubat
Samurai

Post by Zubat »

Manda2012 wrote:Not familiar with this show. StarMan, yes! Rainbowman, no.
Well it's not akin to StarMan, at all. You should try to find the show though. :)

快傑ズバット

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I've never heard of this character. I'll be checking it out, though.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

SuperMonsterZero
Monarch Researcher

Post by SuperMonsterZero »

I remember reading an article about Rainbowman once in an issue of Animerica from about ten years ago. I've always been interested in seeing it but I never have. From what I remember it's about this boxer who always accidentally kills his opponents, so he travels to India to see this magical hermit that he thinks can teach him to be the best boxer in the world. However, instead of becoming the best boxer in the world, he gets superpowers and can turn into seven different superheroes.

The bad guys are pretty offensive, though. They're the "Die Die Gang" (死ね死ね団), a group of East Asian businessmen who hate Japan for what it did in WWII. Every week they try to destroy Japan by ruining the economy, using poisoned food stands, etc. The show was created by the same guy who made Moonlight Mask, and he was a pretty conservative guy, so of course he made the victims of Japanese imperialism the villains lol. I think Akihiko Hirata might have played one of the badguys.

Btw, here's the Die Die Gang's theme song, where they say the word "die" like fifty times:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suLYNVtzvOQ
「大人の世界に神様があるように、子供の世界にミニラ大明神があってもおかしくないでしょう」

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

It looks a bit like a cross between sentain and Ben 10.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Sid
Ronin

Post by Sid »

I personally loved the show.... it was really great. TBH better then Zone Fighter or Megaloman.

Sid
Ronin

Post by Sid »

Varan Bon Ziller wrote:Or at least...did it air on some channels long ago?
It was released on R2 dvd a while back. and yes, it aired in hawaii, with subtitles.

SuperMonsterZero
Monarch Researcher

Post by SuperMonsterZero »

I didn't hear about it being rental only but I'm pretty sure it was available on R2 DVD at least ten years ago. Unless there's been a more recent rerelease.
「大人の世界に神様があるように、子供の世界にミニラ大明神があってもおかしくないでしょう」