Worst Showa film besides Godzilla's Revenge and Megalon?

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
MustafaDaisenso
Monarch Researcher

Worst Showa film besides Godzilla's Revenge and Megalon?

Post by MustafaDaisenso »

Whenever people are asked "what's the worst Godzilla movie?" they are usually told "Godzilla's Revenge" or "Godzilla vs Megalon". Now both of those films have elements that rightfully earn them scorn, I don't think either one of them is nearly as bad as most people say.

What Showa movies do you hold as being "the worst" besides the two most popular choices? (Waits for inevitable Godzilla Raids Again hate-fest)

My vote goes to Mothra vs Godzilla, but its so hard to put my finger on what I absolutely hate about that movie so its not worth explaining.

I personally feel that Godzilla vs Hedorah is the most poorly directed Godzilla film, due to its complete lack of characterization, its episodic and disjointed plot, its incoherent and absurd monster "battles" and its utter failure to establish a proper tone. The movie deserves some credit for trying to employ a psychedelic art-film approach, which could have actually been really cool. Instead the movie has a gray, depressing look to it, and most of the miniature sets are uninspired. The bizarre use of cartoons, multiple tv screens, and acid trip imagery serve no purpose other than to distract from the plot and add a superficial layer of "style" over what is actually one of the least engaging human elements to date (who are these people, and what motivates them? why does nobody care when Ken's older brother/cousin/friend dies?) and one of the most poorly paced and choreographed monster battles. I honestly can't believe anyone would call this "the best of the '70's Godzilla movies".

Terror of Mechagodzilla is another runner-up. It makes an attempt to be "dark n gritty", but comes across as overly brooding and lifeless, with bland characters, a soap-opera human plot ("Katsura, even if the aliens turned you into a cyborg and put the Mechagodzilla controller in your uterus, I still love you!" *Katsura shoots herself*) and the absolute worst pacing in a non-SpaceGodzilla movie. Neither Godzilla nor Mechagodzilla gets enough screen time, and Mechagodzilla is neutered to make Titanosaurus look more powerful. Godzilla lacks any character presence, and all the monster action feels abortive, like either Honda was trying his hardest not to show the monsters, or they ran out of budget mid scene. Throw in one of the most repetitive and lethargic Ifukube scores (in spite of some impressive themes) and you have the third-worst Showa movie.

Honorable mention goes to Ghidorah the three headed monster for having a bizarre, disjointed plot, weak acting, bad pacing, and less monster action than "the greatest battle on earth" part of the Japanese title would suggest.
"I'm a freelance reporter, but... you could call me a scandal hunter hahahaha…"
Check out my YouTube channel for restored Toku trailers in HD
Rodan 1.85:1 US Reconstruction Thread

S9y
Monarch Researcher

Re: Worst Showa film besides Godzilla's Revenge and Megalon?

Post by S9y »

Godzilla vs King Kong. Its just so odd King Kong with the power of thunder? The only reason godzilla loses is because hes the bad guy

20th Century Boy
Futurian

Post by 20th Century Boy »

Godzilla Raids Again. The pacing is so poor that it almost puts me to sleep. I feel for absolutely none of the characters. The monster suits are horrible and the way the monsters are shot is really cheap looking and not cinematic. The score is mostly bland. The human drama drags and sometimes there are pointless scenes, like the escaping prisoners. Everything in this movie just screams "half-assed!" to me.

Dust_pan
Futurian

Post by Dust_pan »

I personally enjoy the monster scenes in Godzilla Raids Again. I love how wild, fast-paced, and brutal Godzilla and Anguirus's battles look. And some of the shots look pretty cool too, like when the pilots first discover the two monsters fighting each other on the island.

But everything else about Godzilla Raids Again disappoints me. I don't think it's so bad that it's unwatchable, but I don't really care for the human characters and I thought most of the non-monster scenes were a little too slow and boring.

I actually enjoy Godzilla's Revenge and Godzilla vs Megalon, so on a personal level I wouldn't consider them the worst Showa Godzilla films.
Last edited by Dust_pan on Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Q: Will we see that monster that Bryan was going to reveal this morning at the press conference?
Cranston: Oh yeah! The only Godzilla movie with an X-rating.

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

Gotta agree with 20th Century Boy on this one. Although I still like GRA, it just feels like a piss poor sequel to a great film to me. The human characters fuckin' suck ass and so does the music. The only things that make up for it are the Godzilla suit and the fact that Anguirus is in it.

I gotta say, I'd much rather watch Godzilla's Revenge or Godzilla vs. Megalon anyday.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

Gojira1963
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira1963 »

My vote would be for either Gigan or Hedorah. I still enjoy them but they are at the bottom of my list.
Liam F.

My science fiction/Fantasy blog. with Godzilla content! http://foleyfunfilmfacts.wordpress.com/

KaijuAlertSystem
Gotengo Officer

Post by KaijuAlertSystem »

For me I'd have to say All Monsters Attack. I know what they were going for, but the ending left a pretty bad taste in my mouth. Ichiro stands up for himself and then gains the friendship of the children who have been tormenting him by in turn being a total dick to some hapless painter.

Still, I enjoy all of the Godzilla movies so labeling them the "worst" doesn't really mean much to me.

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

KaijuAlertSystem wrote:For me I'd have to say All Monsters Attack. I know what they were going for, but the ending left a pretty bad taste in my mouth. Ichiro stands up for himself and then gains the friendship of the children who have been tormenting him by in turn being a total dick to some hapless painter.

Still, I enjoy all of the Godzilla movies so labeling them the "worst" doesn't really mean much to me.
The title says "Worst Showa Film Besides Godzilla's Revenge and Megalon".
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Megalon is far from the worst. It's corny, yes, but an entertaining piece of corn.

On topic, I'd have to say Godzilla Raids Again. The movie does drag in parts. The pacing between scenes does make it seem longer than it actually is, but when you get to the monster scenes it picks up.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

LiquidG
Terminated
Terminated

Post by LiquidG »

S9y wrote:Godzilla vs King Kong. Its just so odd King Kong with the power of thunder? The only reason godzilla loses is because hes the bad guy
King Kong Vs Godzilla in my opinion anyway is FAR from being the worst Showa film besides GR and GvsM, it's actually one of the best in my eyes, if I had to pick one I would go with raids again.
TK's official member of the "Three L's of the Apocalypse"

Gamera vs Rodan
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gamera vs Rodan »

I like Megalon way more than Son of Godzilla.

Dust_pan
Futurian

Post by Dust_pan »

Gamera vs Rodan wrote:I like Megalon way more than Son of Godzilla.
Isn't Megalon more childish and upbeat than Son of Godzilla, though? I mean, Godzilla shakes hands with a grinning robot and saves the day from a pair of alien can openers! Son of Godzilla had a much more serious story, even with Minya. XD
Q: Will we see that monster that Bryan was going to reveal this morning at the press conference?

Gamera vs Rodan
JXSDF Technician

Dust_pan wrote:
Gamera vs Rodan wrote:I like Megalon way more than Son of Godzilla.
Isn't Megalon more childish and upbeat than Son of Godzilla, though? I mean, Godzilla shakes hands with a grinning robot and saves the day from a pair of alien can openers! Son of Godzilla had a much more serious story, even with Minya. XD
I don't like that Son of Godzilla is all on Monster Island and all the monsters they fight are way too gross looking, especially the spider, which I have trouble even looking at.

Dust_pan
Futurian

Post by Dust_pan »

Oh. That explains it. I'm sure that Kumonga is the bane to many arachnophobic Godzilla fans. :lol:

KaijuAlertSystem
Gotengo Officer

Post by KaijuAlertSystem »

Dr. Professor wrote:The title says "Worst Showa Film Besides Godzilla's Revenge and Megalon".
Yeah but I'm talking about All Monsters Attack, not Godzilla's Revenge. Totally different movies you see. I suppose in this case I'd have to say Godzilla vs the Sea Monster. Shrimpy and Big Bird don't do too much for me and it introduces some stuff I don't care for as the role was originally meant for Kong.
Last edited by KaijuAlertSystem on Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

tymon
Futurian

Post by tymon »

20th Century Boy wrote:Godzilla Raids Again. The pacing is so poor that it almost puts me to sleep. I feel for absolutely none of the characters. The monster suits are horrible and the way the monsters are shot is really cheap looking and not cinematic. The score is mostly bland. The human drama drags and sometimes there are pointless scenes, like the escaping prisoners. Everything in this movie just screams "half-assed!" to me.
This, so much this. It's a piss-poor effort from start to finish...I wish I could enjoy it for what it is, but it just puts me to sleep.
JAGzilla wrote:And then there was The Giant Condor. He...seemed very dedicated to what he was doing?

Gamera vs Rodan
JXSDF Technician

Wow, I love Raids Again, personally.

gojira96
Monarch Researcher

Post by gojira96 »

Another vote for GRA here.

S9y
Monarch Researcher

Post by S9y »

I love all films equally except GMK, and any other film where godzilla loses.

Dust_pan
Futurian

Post by Dust_pan »

S9y wrote:I love all films equally except GMK, and any other film where godzilla loses.
So basically you don't like Gojira, Godzilla Raids Again, King Kong vs Godzilla, Mothra vs Godzilla, The Return of Godzilla, Godzilla vs Biollante, Godzilla vs King Ghidorah, Godzilla vs Mothra, Godzilla vs Destoroyah, GMK, Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla, and Tokyo SOS?