Worst Showa film besides Godzilla's Revenge and Megalon?

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Worst Showa film besides Godzilla's Revenge and Megalon?

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

My vote goes towards Godzilla Raids Again. I feel like it has some great scenes like early on when Kobyashi sees Godzilla and Anguirus fighting on a small island rather savagely. The Osaka fight was good for it's time but obviously the fact that Anguirus is killed there is such a bad decision and after that the film is a complete bore.

However I think we should think of this less as which film is the worst and least favorite as a whole and look at it from smaller categories.

For instance Godzilla Vs Hedorah IMO has the worst fights of the Showa series. Id like the preference GVH is actually one of my favorite movies in the franchise for it's weirdness but the fight scenes,with the exception of where godzilla gets his hand melted off by Hedorah in a disgusting pit of slime, are downright awful. Hedorah and Godzilla spend the majority of the film staring each other down not really moving. Then godzilla constantly flails his arms around when The smog monster flies around and the whole climactic fight is Godzilla flying after Hedorah. It's kind of dissapointing considering how threatening Hedorah is. The Ebirah fights in GVSM are short and Ebirah isn't threatening but they're much faster and easier to watch.

Son of Godzilla isn't that bad either because even though the Kamacuras weren't that threatening to Godzilla they certainly were to Minilla who I see as the real protagonist of the film. On top of that there is a lot of monster action so it's all good.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Missingno.
G-Grasper

Post by Missingno. »

Hmmmmm... This thread says worst Showa film, obviously implying it is not strict to Godzilla films... So that means, I'm not stuck with choosing one of the 6 Showa (I only care for Japanese cuts, and I only own the first 6 Showa Godzilla films in their Japanese cut) films I own/seen! Which means:

....................../´¯/)
....................,/¯../
.................../..../
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
.........\.................'...../
..........''...\.......... _.·´
............\..............(
..............\.............\...

because this is how I feel not for a Showa Godzilla film, but for, a non-Godzilla film, so shitty, that it should have never been made... That title is... Battle in Outer Space! This film's only sharp angle is the SFX. Otherwise, the film is a bore. The acting is among the worst of any Toho film I have ever seen. And for being a supposed sequel to The Mysterians, there sure is no reference to them whatsoever. The enemy aliens, The Nataral, are seen only once in the film, and when they are seen, they make sounds like the Meganulon from Rodan. What, are they just as primitive as a giant insect on Earth?! Then you have the leader, the only speaking alien in the whole film, which has a rather deep voice, even for a Japanese guy. For a near two hour movie, SFX stand out as Toho's best, but when the film is plagued by the aforementioned problems, it makes it really hard to sit through until the last 10 minutes or so of the film, which means the Battle in Outer Space (or over Earth is better fitting) happens and then the assault on Tokyo, which makes up for it in the end. Basically, skip to the last chapter of the movie if you've never seen it.
TK's resident other 1980's fan who longs for that decade's return, and severe weather fanatic.
LSD Jellyfish wrote:WOW WHAT HONOL. SO KOOR, VERY JOUZU KAWAII SOU DESU NE. AHHHH OKII CHINKO DESU KA. MMMMM CHICHI, WATSHI NO MANKO NI CHINKO O IKYUUUUUUUU
NEVER FORGET:
8-8-2015
R.I.P. Games forum
Resized ImageResized Image
The 80's----The weather!

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Not that I dislike it but I think Megalon was the true low point of the era, along with Zone Fighter. Things got better with the Mechagodzilla movies but it was too late, in and outside factors had already taken their toll.

Sparkzilla14
Samurai

Post by Sparkzilla14 »

G vs Hedorah was a bit bad, some of the scenes of the kid imagining Godzilla being a hero and the silly music, not to mention all the weird drug induced scenes. G vs Megalon is bad too, but some enjoy it such as myself, I enjoy it for the cheese factor in a good way.
G-Fan since age 3. First G movies (Godzilla vs Sea Monster/Godzilla vs Gigan)

Top 6 Favorite G films: Terror of MechaGodzilla, Godzilla 1984/1985, Godzilla vs Sea Monster, Godzilla 2000, Godzilla vs Gigan Godzilla 2014
Other Fav Toho Films: War of the Gargantuas and Rodan

Favorite G suit(s): MegaroGoji 1975 version and BioGoji KG version

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

How is Ken imagining Godzilla as HIS hero a bad thing? Isn't that something that most Godzilla fans can relate to?
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Sparkzilla14
Samurai

Post by Sparkzilla14 »

Goji wrote:How is Ken imagining Godzilla as HIS hero a bad thing? Isn't that something that most Godzilla fans can relate to?
Yes but the movie executed that in a silly way. I understand the reason and I'm fine with that but it could've been executed a lot better

Top 6 Favorite G films: Terror of MechaGodzilla, Godzilla 1984/1985, Godzilla vs Sea Monster, Godzilla 2000, Godzilla vs Gigan Godzilla 2014

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

At least that Ken had the heroic Godzilla to look up to. Kenny from the first Gamera was defending a destructive and possibly psychopathic giant turtle the whole time.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

It was silly, but Ken's wish for Godzilla's help was a nice entrance for Godzilla.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Sparkzilla14 wrote:
Goji wrote:How is Ken imagining Godzilla as HIS hero a bad thing? Isn't that something that most Godzilla fans can relate to?
Yes but the movie executed that in a silly way. I understand the reason and I'm fine with that but it could've been executed a lot better
What was "sillly" about it? You say it could have been executed better, but don't give any examples as to how. When Ken is dreaming/day dreaming about Godzilla, it's from the perspective of a child. It's bound to be a little unusual.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Sparkzilla14
Samurai

Post by Sparkzilla14 »

Goji wrote:
Sparkzilla14 wrote:
What was "sillly" about it? You say it could have been executed better, but don't give any examples as to how. When Ken is dreaming/day dreaming about Godzilla, it's from the perspective of a child. It's bound to be a little unusual.
It's just my opinion dude lol

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Wow, such a thought provoking response. You do realize this is a message board, right? "Its just my opinion dude lol" is something I'd expect from a high schooler who doesn't know how to articulate what he's trying to say. Are you really that guy? Is going into detail about how "it could have been executed better" to far beyond you?

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

It's just his opinion lol(and not an uncommon one).
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

'Ken's dreams should have been executed better' is a complaint that I have literally never heard in regards this movie (and I've been on this board for the better half of a decade), so I'd argue that is most certainly is "uncommon".

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Goji wrote:'Ken's dreams should have been executed better' is a complaint that I have literally never heard in regards this movie (and I've been on this board for the better half of a decade), so I'd argue that is most certainly is "uncommon".
You straw maned his arguement. He wasn't saying the dreams only were silly. He was saying the entire movie was silly. And it is and that's what I'm saying isn't an uncommon opinion. The whole movie has a hokey moral about standing up to bullies, Gabara having a silly and non threatening design, how childish the two thieves are.
Sure you can say it's meant for kids but that doesn't mean it isn't silly.

Oh and this little thing here:
http://youtube/9U9TVJdkUPs

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:The whole movie has a hokey moral about standing up to bullies, Gabara having a silly and non threatening design, how childish the two thieves are.
...You do realize they're talking about Godzilla vs. Hedorah, right?

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

UltramanGoji wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:The whole movie has a hokey moral about standing up to bullies, Gabara having a silly and non threatening design, how childish the two thieves are.
...You do realize they're talking about Godzilla vs. Hedorah, right?
In that case FML, ignore everything I just said as I hide in embarrassment. I keep thinking the kids name in GR is Ken and they were talking about dream sequences so yeah.

I liked the scene of the dream the young boy has of Godzilla in GVH, even the music accompanied it. I thought the scene had creative lighting which something similar really hasn't been in any other movie.I was actually going to compare how the movie after GR was serious enough and still had a child involved while still having a threatening villain and plot.

Sparkzilla14
Samurai

Post by Sparkzilla14 »

Goji wrote:'Ken's dreams should have been executed better' is a complaint that I have literally never heard in regards this movie (and I've been on this board for the better half of a decade), so I'd argue that is most certainly is "uncommon".
What is that some badge of honor? I could care less, I'm sure there's others here who have been here just as long or longer. I'm a new member, who cares. I'm just saying I thought the dream sequence was silly, I'm not going into detail of how it might have been done better because honestly I don't know how you would seeing how the rest of the movie is kind of tossed around a bit with the cartoons and talks of other galaxies.

Just to be clear I don't hate Godzilla vs Hedorah, the thread was regarding to what other movies could be considered bad showa G films other than what was mentioned. I was looking at it as outside of the G fan boy eyes, any person who just starts watching the movie may say to themselves, "Wtf is going on" same as with G vs Megalon. I love both movies but some people don't, that's fine, people have different tastes.

In the meantime, cool down, I'm talking about a movie, not your mother.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Sparkzilla14 wrote: What is that some badge of honor?
Hardly.
I'm sure there's others here who have been here just as long or longer.
Obviously, but what of it?
I'm not going into detail of how it might have been done better because honestly I don't know how you would seeing how the rest of the movie is kind of tossed around a bit with the cartoons and talks of other galaxies.
This doesn't really make any sense..
I was looking at it as outside of the G fan boy eyes, any person who just starts watching the movie may say to themselves, "Wtf is going on" same as with G vs Megalon. I love both movies but some people don't, that's fine, people have different tastes.
Well, sure, but your a Godzilla fan, so why would you be looking at it from the perspective of a non-fan? I don't see what relevance that has.
In the meantime, cool down, I'm talking about a movie, not your mother.
Lol, thanks for the new sig!

Sparkzilla14
Samurai

Post by Sparkzilla14 »

You're welcome! Lol

MM The Destroyer
Terminated
Terminated

Post by MM The Destroyer »

Godzilla Raids Again. No contest. Hell, I'd watch GvM over GRA anyday.
I'm Back... for a... Damn it, I lost count!
Godzelda wrote:
Inferno Rodan wrote:But regardless, what on earth makes you think that, say, Spacegodzilla's Corona beam, which penetrated Godzilla's hide on more than one occasion, is more damaging than a nuke on a point-for-point basis?
It hurt Godzilla. That's why I think that.

TK's #1 most reported, popular, hated, loved, sarcastic kaiju pleb.