Worst Showa film besides Godzilla's Revenge and Megalon?

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Mechagigan
Futurian

Re: Worst Showa film besides Godzilla's Revenge and Megalon?

Post by Mechagigan »

Well, It's not just the weird version of Godzilla himself... I thought the special effects weren't all that good (though Kumonga and Kamacuras looked pretty good, at least for large puppets), the characters, while engaging, weren't all that great, and the whole movie felt unfittingly kid-friendly (and maybe a little pandering)- even more so than most of the seventies movies. Of course, I don't have any nostalgia for the movie, so maybe my view is semi-generational.

MDK
Terminated
Terminated

Post by MDK »

Son of Godzilla being too kid friendly? I thought it was perfectly fine.

Might have a bit of bias, since I find Minya to be one of the best monsters in Godzilla's history. His design is hilarious and his character is charming.
TK's resident O L D S H O W A F A N B O Y who is a salty heisei and sticklegs zilla H A T E R and GINO fan S T E R E O T Y P E R and member who threw a T E M P E R T A N T R U M over Vega
Legion1979 wrote:The Godzilla fandom tends to attract three types of people; ignorant kids, social deviants and drunks in their late '20s and older. Lol
SaltPersonified wrote:Says the one who threw a temper tantrum over Vega
If you're forced ignored with me and you see this because you logged out to read my posts you need a life lol

Kaiser
G-Force Personnel

Post by Kaiser »

Son of Godzilla is one of those movies were your opinion of it rests largely on whether or not you like the tone and atmosphere it's going for. If you like your Godzilla films dramatic and serious, stay away. If you like your Godzilla films lighthearted and whimsical, then SoG is the movie for you. I like the movie just fine, but I don't love it to death like a lot of people around here. It's just not top-ten material to me.

As for Ebirah, I've given that movie five or six chances to impress me and it's just never happened. I can see what people love about it, but it's never clicked for me.

he-ba
Interpol Agent
Location: Sitting home and chatting with my best friend....... Titanosaurus!!

Post by he-ba »

I love Godzilla whether he is seen loving children or..... killing them (didn't know another way to put that.....), so SOG is fine by me. I do see how people don't like the sentimental parts, but I think that's what makes it special. It's got a deep survival theme, creepy monsters, and a very good cast that makes you feel the pressure of the island. But you've also got Minilla (who's actually very good in this movie- I don't find him annoying or strange), sentimental moments, and a very fun soundtrack. So I find it extremely interesting, and when I finally got to watch it, I loved it even though most people said it wasn't good.
TK's resident Titanosaurus super-fan

Maybe Minilla was some mutation inside a Kamacarus' ootheca and that's why they attacked..... Maybe Minilla ISN'T the Son of Godzilla! He's some weird Kamacari that Godzilla felt bad for!

..... Nope, the other guys would never accept that..........

I don't know even know what a he-ba is......

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BIG GUY!!!!!!!!

Power-Glove
Ronin

Post by Power-Glove »

Worst besides Revenge and G Vs. Megalon? Son of Godzilla, that Zilla suit was so bad it's stomach turning.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Oh hey! It's again time for people to act like they're too good to enjoy Son of Godzilla! Wow, haven't seen that happen in a while. :roll:

tymon
Futurian

Post by tymon »

The Godzilla suit sucks, Minya sucks, and worst of all, it's light-hearted! TERRIBLE MOVIE
JAGzilla wrote:And then there was The Giant Condor. He...seemed very dedicated to what he was doing?

three
Keizer

Post by three »

Legion1979 wrote:Oh hey! It's again time for people to act like they're too good to enjoy Son of Godzilla! Wow, haven't seen that happen in a while. :roll:
hey, it's time again for people to act like having Godzilla do something out of the box for the genre that tries to convey some lame and heartfelt message makes it a better movie than it really is! i forgot film snobs look for things like that to lord over the commoners with. :roll:

get outta here with that crap. go enjoy SoG instead of wasting half of everyone's time disagreeing with them.
Last edited by three on Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®
axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - bitch in space.

Missingno.
G-Grasper

Post by Missingno. »

three wrote:
Legion1979 wrote:Oh hey! It's again time for people to act like they're too good to enjoy Son of Godzilla! Wow, haven't seen that happen in a while. :roll:
hey, it's time again for people to act like having Godzilla do something out of the box for the genre that tries to convey some lame and heartfelt message makes it a better movie than it really is! i forgot film snobs look for things like that to lord over the commoners with. :roll:

get outta here with that crap. go enjoy SoG instead of half of everyone's time disagreeing with them.
TK's resident other 1980's fan who longs for that decade's return, and severe weather fanatic.
LSD Jellyfish wrote:WOW WHAT HONOL. SO KOOR, VERY JOUZU KAWAII SOU DESU NE. AHHHH OKII CHINKO DESU KA. MMMMM CHICHI, WATSHI NO MANKO NI CHINKO O IKYUUUUUUUU
NEVER FORGET:
8-8-2015
R.I.P. Games forum
Resized ImageResized Image
The 80's----The weather!

expandkong
G-Force Personnel

Post by expandkong »

I cant think of another film that I dont like in the showa era. I love all of them besides revenge. I guess even if I enjoy the movie I would have to go with raids again.
Resized Image

Kaiser
G-Force Personnel

Post by Kaiser »

tymon wrote:The Godzilla suit sucks, Minya sucks, and worst of all, it's light-hearted! TERRIBLE MOVIE
Can't you guys disagree with someone like an adult instead of attempting some witty verbal put-down? It makes you look like the immature ones with the whole "oh look, someone disagree with my opinion, they must be stupid!" schtick. I may disagree with what a lot of people say on this forum, but I at least try to understand things from their perspective. Heaven forbid some people prefer a certain atmosphere for their kaiju eiga.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Kaiser wrote: Can't you guys disagree with someone like an adult instead of attempting some witty verbal put-down? It makes you look like the immature ones with the whole "oh look, someone disagree with my opinion, they must be stupid!" schtick. I may disagree with what a lot of people say on this forum, but I at least try to understand things from their perspective. Heaven forbid some people prefer a certain atmosphere for their kaiju eiga.
Oh, that's just Legion. He's always like that.

The minute you disagree with him, your opinion is automatically rendered invalid.

ILL GREEN
Gotengo Officer

Post by ILL GREEN »

Or takes words out of context from your post and create some BS you were not even speaking on.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

UltramanGoji wrote: The minute you disagree with him, your opinion is automatically rendered invalid.
Well, when I see someone attacking legitimately good movies for the most ridiculous, immature reasons...

tymon
Futurian

Post by tymon »

Kaiser wrote:
tymon wrote:The Godzilla suit sucks, Minya sucks, and worst of all, it's light-hearted! TERRIBLE MOVIE
Can't you guys disagree with someone like an adult instead of attempting some witty verbal put-down? It makes you look like the immature ones with the whole "oh look, someone disagree with my opinion, they must be stupid!" schtick.
How was that a put-down? Those are the main complaints about the film within the fandom, after all - two of three I happen to agree with (the suit is indeed ugly as hell, and Minya is one of my least favorite kaiju in the franchise - and while I *personally* dig the light tone, it's easy to understand why many don't). I don't think people are "stupid" for saying these things, but the criticisms are superficial and mind-numbingly repetitive. Not sure why you mistook my sarcastic jab for condescension - but feel free to call me immature and assume I can't grasp the concept of differing opinions. Pot, meet kettle. :lol:

I mean, why not talk about bigger, meatier issues with the film, like with plot, theme, or character? Like the lack of payoff regarding the G54-like moral dilemmas set up early in the story, or the stock characters who are only made interesting by the actors portraying them, or the sometimes lumbering pace?
I may disagree with what a lot of people say on this forum, but I at least try to understand things from their perspective. Heaven forbid some people prefer a certain atmosphere for their kaiju eiga.
When did I ever even suggest my opinion (or any opinion) is superior, or that one shouldn't prefer a certain atmosphere over another? You're being a drama queen.
JAGzilla wrote:And then there was The Giant Condor. He...seemed very dedicated to what he was doing?

Kaiser
G-Force Personnel

Post by Kaiser »

Tone is a hard thing to convey across the internet. Your post is easy to interpret as condescending in conjunction with Legion's post. There were about a dozen other ways you could have said what you said to me in you post without resorting to sarcasm which can easily cloud the intended message. This isn't the first time I've seen put-downs on these forums (or this thread even) and I'm just getting a bit tired of the older fans constantly implying to other fans that their differing opinions are invalid instead of providing some sort of rebuttal. If I jumped to conclusions regarding your post, my apologies. And I didn't know sticking up for other members around here got you the drama queen label.

Also, tone is enough reason to dislike a movie IMO without going into story or characters.

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

Legion1979 wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote: The minute you disagree with him, your opinion is automatically rendered invalid.
Well, when I see someone attacking legitimately good movies for the most ridiculous, immature reasons...
This 1000000000x over, and is one of the main reasons I rarely get into film "discussions" around here...perhaps it's because I'm getting older, but I have no patience when I see "this sucks!" type comments towards good films or anything pre-millenium/G2014 and don't need the aggravation nor have the time to waste.....
GIANT CONDOR!!!!!!!! :shock:

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

ebirahsmeg1 wrote:but I have no patience when I see "this sucks!" type comments towards good films or anything pre-millenium/G2014 and don't need the aggravation nor have the time to waste.....
Well, just keep in mind that simply because you say they are 'Good Films', whether they are or not, doesn't mean everyone has to agree with you. People think differently about things, and though it is natural to dislike opposing thoughts, one should keep in mind that those thoughts are based on personal taste, not general taste. Hey, they don't think the same way, whatever. ;)
Last edited by Mechagigan on Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

GodzillavsZilla
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GodzillavsZilla »

Godzilla versus The Sea Monster is way worst than Son of Godzilla... at least SoG was supposed to be a Godzilla movie! Godzilla versus the Sea Monster was supposed to be made for King Kong and replacing him with Godzilla was obviously last minute, it seems like all the writers did was cross out King Kong and add Godzilla in the script. They didn't even bother to change the things that were meant for King Kong like waking him up with lightning (which was used in KKvG and was meant fir Frankenstein) and the weird human love interest. Plus this movie introduced two of the worst monsters of the franchise; Ebirah (a lobster) and The Giant Condor (it's just a fucking BIRD!). You can argue that Kamacurus and Kamunga were just bugs, but they're more cool than a lobster and a bird.
BrashAlaskan95 wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:I hope you plan on mounting this thing. :lol:
On my wall. ;)
I'll call it "Bob: The One Who Was skreeonk From The Start". :lol:
skreeonk scary shit though if it is just scratches.
Zilla103192 wrote:She saw Godzilla fly... And just gave up. She called bullshit, broke up with me, and just left.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

>Ebirah

>One of the worst monsters in the franchise

Yeah, okay.