Worst Showa film besides Godzilla's Revenge and Megalon?

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
KJ Corp
JXSDF Technician

Re: Worst Showa film besides Godzilla's Revenge and Megalon?

Post by KJ Corp »

tymon wrote:^What's so "unbearable" about Sea Monster? :eh:
It was just a BAD I won't even get started with the dubbing (something I forgive Godzilla for)...

Godzilla doesn't appear until late into the movie, the plot on the island is really dumb, the Godzilla suit looks atrocious and the fights were almost pure stock footage. volleyball...

Also, GIANT CONDOR.

tymon
Futurian

Post by tymon »

KJ Corp wrote:It was just a BAD I won't even get started with the dubbing (something I forgive Godzilla for)...
Um, watch it with subs then? The acting's pretty good all around. A dub isn't representative of a film's quality.
Godzilla doesn't appear until late into the movie,
While I agree the film could have used more Godzilla, I feel the build-up to his appearance was well-paced, and the first half of the movie keeps me invested despite his absence, but to each his own.
the plot on the island is really dumb
How? I mean, how is it "dumber" than any other typical Godzilla plot?
the Godzilla suit looks atrocious
Yeah, it does look pretty awful after the water damage.
and the fights were almost pure stock footage.
No, this film doesn't contain any stock footage...
JAGzilla wrote:And then there was The Giant Condor. He...seemed very dedicated to what he was doing?

KJ Corp
JXSDF Technician

Post by KJ Corp »

1. Probably not going to watch it with subs, I'll stick with dubs thank you. I don't like the feeling of reading a book while watching a movie.
2. Won't argue here, opinions.
3. Well, the plot doesn't feel very "Godzilla'ish," more like a plot to a King Kong movie. I was definitely not into it.
4. Not an excuse for the atrocity of the suit, if anything, money and budget is the answer.
5. Really thinking about it, you're right, there wasn't much, but I do remember there being some.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

1. I'm a fan of dubbing myself, but sticking to dubs for that reason is...unusual. I can understand if you're reading speed isn't up to snuff, but otherwise it sounds like you're suffering from a condition that I like to call 'lazy eyes'.

3. It was originally supposed to have Kong in place of Godzilla, so that's probably why.

4. Except that the suit looked just fine in MONSTER ZERO, and only looked funky after being exposed to the elements. They didn't build a new suit because they didn't have to.

5. Nope. No stock footage whatsoever.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

KJ Corp
JXSDF Technician

Post by KJ Corp »

Goji wrote:1. I'm a fan of dubbing myself, but sticking to dubs for that reason is...unusual. I can understand if you're reading speed isn't up to snuff, but otherwise it sounds like you're suffering from a condition that I like to call 'lazy eyes'.

3. It was originally supposed to have Kong in place of Godzilla, so that's probably why.

4. Except that the suit looked just fine in MONSTER ZERO, and only looked funky after being exposed to the elements. They didn't build a new suit because they didn't have to.

5. Nope. No stock footage whatsoever.
1. it sounds like you're suffering from a condition that I like to call 'lazy eyes'-or having English as a 2nd or even 3rd language, I started only getting good at it in late middle-school.

3. Never heard of that, cool.

4. I've never been a fan of the 1964-1975 suits.

Now can we now all accept the fact that I hate G vs SM?

three
Keizer

Post by three »

both of you are suffering from a condition called "where the mother f*ck is the #2 in the list of items from 1 - 4?", or as i like to call it "learn to count"

i'm actually surprised to learn there is no stock footage. i swear to god (zilla) there is some there. the night shot that randomly shows up -- anyone know if that's from Gigan?
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®
axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - bitch in space.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

I skipped number 2 because I didn't have anything to say regarding his response.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

three
Keizer

Post by three »

Goji wrote:I skipped number 2 because I didn't have anything to say regarding his response.

ah. i see. in all seriousness i'm just playing with you both.

but also in seriousness i have to ask again, what of the footage in the film (Godzilla vs. Megalon) which shows Godzilla at night even though the battle is during the day? is that stock footage from Gigan? or anywhere, for that matter? i always figured it was so if i'm wrong, i'd rather that be amended.
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®
axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - bitch in space.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

GodzillavsZilla wrote:Worst Showa Godzilla film, Godzilla's Rev...... *looks at title.... Oh.... Well, Godzilla vs the Sea Monster. Even though I like Ebirah, the movie is just horrible. Godzilla's barely in the movie, the characters aren't that likeable, Mothra is asleep through the movie and then she bitchslaps Godzilla and rescues everybody on the island (girl power?), and trading King Kong for Godzilla was a really bad choice because they didn't even alter the script to make it a Godzilla movie, they just slapped Godzilla in the title for market value.
And rights issues with Rankin/Bass over Kong's character, which is why they delayed it for another year.

If it were King Kong getting bit slapped by Mothra, it would really help people shut up about him winning against Godzilla (and make us feel a lot better over it) a few years back. Plus, it would've been one less time for us to suffer over Mothra defeating Godzilla.

he-ba
Interpol Agent
Location: Sitting home and chatting with my best friend....... Titanosaurus!!

Post by he-ba »

gigan72 wrote:
KJ Corp wrote:1. Probably not going to watch it with subs, I'll stick with dubs thank you. I don't like the feeling of reading a book while watching a movie.
But then its technically NOT a Godzilla movie. Its a GIGANTIS movie. And dubbed, it sucks a skreeonk dick. Its horrible.

Yeah he's kind of right. I'll watch a dubbed version if that's what's available, but I always sub it when I can.
TK's resident Titanosaurus super-fan

Maybe Minilla was some mutation inside a Kamacarus' ootheca and that's why they attacked..... Maybe Minilla ISN'T the Son of Godzilla! He's some weird Kamacari that Godzilla felt bad for!

..... Nope, the other guys would never accept that..........

I don't know even know what a he-ba is......

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BIG GUY!!!!!!!!

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

three wrote: but also in seriousness i have to ask again, what of the footage in the film (Godzilla vs. Megalon) which shows Godzilla at night even though the battle is during the day? is that stock footage from Gigan? or anywhere, for that matter? i always figured it was so if i'm wrong, i'd rather that be amended.
Most of the stock used during the finale of MEGALON is from GIGAN. For those who are unfamiliar with the sources for the stock footage, I suggest checking out the pages for the movies on the main page, and scrolling down to the stock footage section.

http://tohokingdom.com/movies/godzilla_vs_gigan.htm

http://tohokingdom.com/movies/godzilla_vs_megalon.htm

Julia Bristow
EDF Instructor

Post by Julia Bristow »

*I don't think that Godzilla's Revenge & Godzilla vs Megalon are bad films personally*

For me its Godzilla Raids Again, the film tends to lull whenever the monsters aren't on screen and the pacing is pretty slow, its like turtle slow and Masaru Sato's score (in the Japanese version that is) isn't that great (the stock music cues used for Gigantis aren't much better though) and all I can say about Gigantis is that it is a so bad that its funny American adaptation.
All Movie snobs can just f off IMO

Ookondru99
Monarch Researcher

Post by Ookondru99 »

I've never been a fan of Hedorah. The score sucks, it was complete w/ a whiny kid in short shorts, the fights are very slow, the whole movie is dark and not in a good way, and finally there are the LCD trippy cartoon segments. Overall a very strange film and it suffers from problems that plagued the entire series, all rolled into one shitty film
TK's Resident Red Bamboo :destoroyah:

SUPERTOHOREMIX
Futurian

Post by SUPERTOHOREMIX »

Ookondru99 wrote:I've never been a fan of Hedorah. The score sucks, it was complete w/ a whiny kid in short shorts, the fights are very slow, the whole movie is dark and not in a good way, and finally there are the LCD trippy cartoon segments. Overall a very strange film and it suffers from problems that plagued the entire series, all rolled into one shitty film
You got bigger balls then me to say that ...

tymon
Futurian

Post by tymon »

^I don't think it takes any balls at all, seeing how obnoxiously dull that film is...
JAGzilla wrote:And then there was The Giant Condor. He...seemed very dedicated to what he was doing?

he-ba
Interpol Agent
Location: Sitting home and chatting with my best friend....... Titanosaurus!!

Post by he-ba »

I never got why people hated Hedorah. It seemed like a good movie! (and it scared the **** out of me when I was younger) I get why people complain about the cartoon parts, but overall it sends a message that ultimately has me recycle everything, well, recyclable!
TK's resident Titanosaurus super-fan

Maybe Minilla was some mutation inside a Kamacarus' ootheca and that's why they attacked..... Maybe Minilla ISN'T the Son of Godzilla! He's some weird Kamacari that Godzilla felt bad for!

..... Nope, the other guys would never accept that..........

I don't know even know what a he-ba is......

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BIG GUY!!!!!!!!

Kaiser
G-Force Personnel

Post by Kaiser »

I can understand all the usual criticisms of Hedorah being "too weird" or having a terrible score, mediocre acting, etc. But I've honestly never heard anyone call the film dull. To me, the film is anything but dull because of everything going on and Banno's energetic directing. Weird? Yes. Dull? If you think this is dull, you must loath the Heisei series.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Jesus, how do I remove this thread (or any for that matter) from "My posts"? This one is giving me cancer.

Ookondru99
Monarch Researcher

Post by Ookondru99 »

I can see how some people would call it dull. This isn't the reason I hate it, I just think its a bad movie
TK's Resident Red Bamboo :destoroyah:

GodzillavsZilla
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GodzillavsZilla »

Godzilla vs Hedorah holds a speical place in my Godzilla fan heart. It was the first Godzilla movie I watched. As a kid, it was awesome, but now that I'm older it hasn't held up. Now I consider it a guilty pleasure.
BrashAlaskan95 wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:I hope you plan on mounting this thing. :lol:
On my wall. ;)
I'll call it "Bob: The One Who Was skreeonk From The Start". :lol:
skreeonk scary shit though if it is just scratches.
Zilla103192 wrote:She saw Godzilla fly... And just gave up. She called bullshit, broke up with me, and just left.