How come Mechagodzilla & King Ghidorah never teamed up?

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

How come Mechagodzilla & King Ghidorah never teamed up?

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

Mechagodzilla is built by aliens and King Ghidorah is controlled by aliens. Always seemed weird to me that these two villains teamed up in the Showa series..

Why was there never a showa film or Godzilla film period where Godzilla's most classic enemies teamed up against him?
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

SpaceG92
Keizer

Re: How come Mechagodzilla & King Ghidorah never teamed up?

Post by SpaceG92 »

Easy, because Godzilla films were not being watched as much in the 70's. Toho was loosing money (or not making enough). So they ended it off with Terror, the second movie to feature MechaGodzilla. That and Ghidorah was really over used :P

20th Century Boy
Futurian

Post by 20th Century Boy »

Because the world would not have been ready...

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

The Ghidorah suit was in poor shape around the time of MG. They would have needed to build a new suit, and Toho didn't want to spend the money on that.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Godzilla2000Zero
Gotengo Officer

Post by Godzilla2000Zero »

They don't get along too well and money issues.
I never worked this hard all my life since the time I lost my virginity.-Gareth Edwards SDCC 2012

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

Maybe Toho didn't think of it, either.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

Godzilla2000Zero
Gotengo Officer

Post by Godzilla2000Zero »

^I've always find it funny that MechaGodzilla and King Ghidorah never costarred together.
I never worked this hard all my life since the time I lost my virginity.-Gareth Edwards SDCC 2012

Jory
Monarch Researcher

Post by Jory »

Probably because they had just recently shoe-horned Ghidorah into another alien-invasion plot in Godzilla vs. Gigan.

DoctorMafune
Monarch Researcher

Post by DoctorMafune »

edgaguirus wrote:The Ghidorah suit was in poor shape around the time of MG. They would have needed to build a new suit, and Toho didn't want to spend the money on that.
Very true. In the late 70's, when Toho was considering its options, a Toho rep stated that even if a new Godzilla movie were produced, it wouldn't have King Ghidorah in it: that the cost of making and using a new KG suit was just prohibitive.

Needless to say, we can all be glad that he was wrong, in the long run... though he was right for more than a decade.

It makes me smile to think of what he would have said if someone with the gift of prophecy had shown him sketches of Biollante and Mecha-KG.
"Rudeness is the weak person's imitation of strength." -- Eric Hoffer

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I doubt Mechagodzilla was cheap to use, either. All those lasers and pyrotechnics had to take a serious toll on the effects budget. A new Ghidorah suit on top of that would've been totally out of the question, I'm sure.

Another thing to consider is that both Ghidorah and Mechagodzilla are very powerful opponents that Godzilla would be hard-pressed to beat individually. It's not likely that he'd be able to handle both without at least one other monster on his side, which would raise the cost even more.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

DoctorMafune wrote: Very true. In the late 70's, when Toho was considering its options, a Toho rep stated that even if a new Godzilla movie were produced, it wouldn't have King Ghidorah in it: that the cost of making and using a new KG suit was just prohibitive.
Where did you hear this, exactly?
Needless to say, we can all be glad that he was wrong, in the long run... though he was right for more than a decade.
I think if said quote actually happened, it only applied to making Godzilla films in the '70's, anyway. :)
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

DoctorMafune
Monarch Researcher

Post by DoctorMafune »

Goji wrote:
DoctorMafune wrote: Very true. In the late 70's, when Toho was considering its options, a Toho rep stated that even if a new Godzilla movie were produced, it wouldn't have King Ghidorah in it: that the cost of making and using a new KG suit was just prohibitive.
Where did you hear this, exactly?
I think if said quote actually happened, it only applied to making Godzilla films in the '70's, anyway. :)
Japanese Giants editor Ed Godziszewski relayed that to me from his Japanese correspondents, at the time.

Thank goodness the film industry in Japan eventually found firmer financial footing, so that by the 90's, Ghidorah and MechaGodzilla were once again viable.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

True. MG2 was a good movie.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

DoctorMafune wrote: Japanese Giants editor Ed Godziszewski relayed that to me from his Japanese correspondents, at the time.
Ah! Interesting. So if we had gotten more Godzilla movies in the '70s, King Ghidorah would have been nowhere to be seen.

This is probably the coolest bit of info I've heard on this forum in a while. Thanks!
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

123go
Samurai

Post by 123go »

Here's a question. If those two teamed up how many Kaiju could they take on all at once. And who?

DoctorMafune
Monarch Researcher

Post by DoctorMafune »

Goji wrote:Ah! Interesting. So if we had gotten more Godzilla movies in the '70s, King Ghidorah would have been nowhere to be seen.

This is probably the coolest bit of info I've heard on this forum in a while. Thanks!
Happy to pass that along! You know, if I remember correctly, the same announcement said that MechaGodzilla had become too expensive to use in hypothetical late-70s films, too. But I'll have to check that one with Ed.

I remember clearly, though, that Toho's rep was specifically ruling out KG... just like I remember the language I used when I read that news.

TyrantGojira
EDF Instructor

Post by TyrantGojira »

I Agree, they were running low on budget near the end of the Showa era, but there is one thing wrong with the budget theory to me. In Godzilla Vs. Mechagodzilla, The same Anguirus suit was used from Godzilla vs Gigan, so it's probible that the Ghidorah suit could of survived until then too. Also, In vs. Mechagodzilla, they made three new suits, Fake Godzilla, MechaGodzilla and King Ceasar. Now with both of thoes factors, I'd say that it would be possible for Toho to reuse the old suit or make a new one. The real reason why I think it didn't happened was because it never came across Toho minds.
123go wrote:Here's a question. If those two teamed up how many Kaiju could they take on all at once. And who?
That, I would say the trio of Godzilla, Anguirus and Rodan.
"Am I glad he's frozen in there and that we're out here, and that he's the sheriff, and that we're frozen out here, and that we're in there and I just remembered we're out here. What I wanna know is where's the caveman?"

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

^^ The Ghidorah suit had been around since '64 where as the second Anguirus suit was made in '68 and was thus around for much longer. Considering how quickly these suits deteriorate, The Ghidorah suit was probably on it's last legs by '72-'73.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

pikmintaro
G-Force Personnel

Post by pikmintaro »

I'm sure if the Showa series had continued then MechaGodzilla, and King Ghidorah would have teamed up eventually.
"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13"
Favorite Godzilla movies
Showa Mothra vs Godzilla| Heisei Godzilla vs Destroyer| Millenium Godzilla Final Wars

123go
Samurai

Post by 123go »

TyrantGojira wrote:I Agree, they were running low on budget near the end of the Showa era, but there is one thing wrong with the budget theory to me. In Godzilla Vs. Mechagodzilla, The same Anguirus suit was used from Godzilla vs Gigan, so it's probible that the Ghidorah suit could of survived until then too. Also, In vs. Mechagodzilla, they made three new suits, Fake Godzilla, MechaGodzilla and King Ceasar. Now with both of thoes factors, I'd say that it would be possible for Toho to reuse the old suit or make a new one. The real reason why I think it didn't happened was because it never came across Toho minds.
123go wrote:Here's a question. If those two teamed up how many Kaiju could they take on all at once. And who?
That, I would say the trio of Godzilla, Anguirus and Rodan.
Well, I was actually wondering how many Kaiju could Mecha and Ghidorah beat. Adding Rodan and Godzilla to the mix drastically cuts down on the number MG and Ghidorah could take as those two alone could just about take them.