Minya: Why all the hate?

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Dr. Professor
Futurian

Re: Minya: Why all the hate?

Post by Dr. Professor »

edgaguirus wrote:Personally, I think it's the voice that ruined Minya for some people. They were fine with a cute kaiju, but then Minya was given a voice in AMA. People just didn't like that voice.
It's kind of funny how one, technically non-canon, film can ruin a character forever for some people.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

PitchBlackProgress wrote:Minilla’s a cuck.
But Godzilla is the one raising someone else's son.

You know, this might be why so many people hate the Minya films. They hit too close to home.....
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

I personally think that FW Minilla is better than 60s Minilla because:

*60s Minilla didn't age at all between Son of Godzilla and Destroy All Monsters,
*FW Minilla was more realistic when it comes to size (especially since most people know that baby dinosaurs are tiny compared to adult ones).

If Minilla does come back in Toho's World of Godzilla storyline, I'd like to see him not only hatch from an egg, but actually age normally, from infant to adult, in a way that's similar to Baby Godzilla/Little Godzilla/Godzilla Junior/Godzilla in the Heisei films.

If they could just combine the 60s Minilla, the FW Minilla and the Heisei "son of Godzilla" and get a version with the best features of all three, I think that that would probably be good enough for everyone concerned.
Last edited by mikelcho on Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

Minya doesn’t bother me too much. He’s got his Showa charm.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Showa Minya is adorable. He is the ugly duckling that will flourish into a big bad radiated Godzilla.

Gojirawars 03
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gojirawars 03 »

Because he's an obnoxious, whiny little rejected Pillsbury dough boy design that consistently makes people's ears bleed from his high pitched squeals and donkey noises, while simultaneously making people want to gouge their eyes out from his horrible design.

The Heisei Era did Godzilla's son so much better. Baby Godzilla being small and defenseless, while also adorable. Little Godzilla being the purest thing on this earth, which only makes you hate SpaceGodzilla that much more for kidnapping him. Godzilla Jr LOOKING LIKE A YOUNGER VERSION OF HIS DAD. Having Atomic Breath, taking on Aggregate Destroyah alone, and even the deep sense of loss that weighs over everything when he dies, which just makes you excited to watch Godzilla blast that hell-spawn into oblivion.

And then Godzilla Final Wars brought back Minilla again.

Why? WHY??? :facepalm:
"The time has come, finally, to put our technology to the final test."
-Dr. Asimov

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8S9Rq ... r78nzbs-FQ

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

lol

There's something ironic about people disliking the child version of Godzilla that appears in the Showa version for not looking like Godzilla while praising the wannabe kawaii one from the Heisei series (which only went on for the $150 million toy sales).

Wow, so glad they finally fixed the Showa series's mistake and finally made Godzilla's son look like him... Tomoyuki Tanaka really went back to the original's roots and made Godzilla serious again after the CHEESY 60s and 70s, none of that kiddy crap......
Last edited by Mr_Goji_and_Watch on Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Children may hate their medicine, but that does not negate its value.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

eabaker wrote:Children may hate their medicine, but that does not negate its value.
God is that you???

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Minya fits the Showa films better than Little Godzilla fits the Heisei films.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Terasawa wrote:Minya fits the Showa films better than Little Godzilla fits the Heisei films.
This right here. Fact.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

eabaker wrote:
Terasawa wrote:Minya fits the Showa films better than Little Godzilla fits the Heisei films.
This right here. Fact.
Debatable. At least Lil Godzilla had an overall arc that started with him getting stolen by SpaceGodzilla, Rodan thinking he was his brother and defended him to the death and then ended with him becoming the actual Godzilla at the end once his dad passed.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

What arc? He didn't do anything in Mechagodzilla, he was hardly even in Spacegodzilla, and got bodied in Destroyah.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

2 for 2 in agreements ...... :huge:

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Maritonic wrote:What arc? He didn't do anything in Mechagodzilla, he was hardly even in Spacegodzilla, and got bodied in Destroyah.
He was the reason most of the Heisei films even happened. He's the reason for Rodan, The reason for Godzilla to even bother with Space Godzilla, and the reason Godzilla went full dad mode on Destroyah. His arc consisted of him coming close to death multiple times, yet surviving and becoming an actual Godzilla.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

_JNavs_ wrote:
Maritonic wrote:What arc? He didn't do anything in Mechagodzilla, he was hardly even in Spacegodzilla, and got bodied in Destroyah.
He was the reason most of the Heisei films even happened. He's the reason for Rodan, The reason for Godzilla to even bother with Space Godzilla, and the reason Godzilla went full dad mode on Destroyah. His arc consisted of him coming close to death multiple times, yet surviving and becoming an actual Godzilla.
Then he's a plot device. Doesn't mean he has an arc.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

_JNavs_ wrote:
Man, gotta love your over reaching.... :lol: .

But please go on my friend.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

_JNavs_ wrote:
eabaker wrote:
This right here. Fact.
Debatable. At least Lil Godzilla had an overall arc that started with him getting stolen by SpaceGodzilla, Rodan thinking he was his brother and defended him to the death and then ended with him becoming the actual Godzilla at the end once his dad passed.
Most of your sentence related to Baby Godzilla and Godzilla Junior, not Little Godzilla.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Maritonic wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:
Overcoming slim odds, gaining allies and growing into his fathers footsteps is definitely an arc.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

_JNavs_ wrote:
Maritonic wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote: He was the reason most of the Heisei films even happened. He's the reason for Rodan, The reason for Godzilla to even bother with Space Godzilla, and the reason Godzilla went full dad mode on Destroyah. His arc consisted of him coming close to death multiple times, yet surviving and becoming an actual Godzilla.
Overcoming slim odds, gaining allies and growing into his fathers footsteps is definitely an arc.
None of that happens...