which Showa film(s) has the most nostalgic feeling to you?

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Kaiser
G-Force Personnel

Re: which Showa film(s) has the most nostalgic feeling to yo

Post by Kaiser »

Godzilla, King of the Monsters (Japanese version is superior but American edit feels more nostalgic)
King Kong vs. Godzilla (ditto with above)
Mothra vs. Godzilla
Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster
Godzilla vs. Gigan
Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla

Dillyziller
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Dillyziller »

Destroy All Monsters
^This post in sexually offensive.

Gooberzilla
Interpol Agent

Post by Gooberzilla »

Mine is actually Godzilla's Revenge, it was my fav as a kid lol. My how things have changed! My second most "nostalgic feeling" G movie is King Kong vs Godzilla.
“The arrogance of man is thinking nature is in our control, and not the other way around.” "Let them fight."

ArchdukeCaligula
Monsterland Worker

Post by ArchdukeCaligula »

I believe the first showa movie I watched was Godzilla: King of the Monsters or Terror of Mechagodzilla. I had the Simitar tapes and my dad's friend would record the movies on to old tapes, which is how I saw most of my Godzilla movies
HayesAJones wrote:
ArchdukeCaligula wrote:The Giant Behemoth(does that thing have a name)
He answers to Franklin.
JAGzilla wrote:^ What... the skreeonk… has gone wrong in your life that this level of hatred is directed at a cartoon three-year-old? :lol:

gigandude
Gotengo Officer

Post by gigandude »

Godzilla's revenge, Godzilla vs Megalon, Terror of Mechagodzilla and GvsB.
After 10,000 years!
:antonio: :mugal: :xilian:

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla, Godzilla 1985 and Godzilla King of the Monsters have the most nostalgia for me, being the first few Godzilla films I watched as a child.

Also, after seeing other people's posts it's interesting to see that a majority have Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla or Terror of Mechagodzilla on there.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

I'd say Godzilla vs. Gigan and Ghidrah, the Three-Headed Monster. I also have a bit of nostalgia for Godzilla's Revenge, because I tried to convert two of my friends into Godzilla fandom with it when I was in the fourth grade. Lord knows what I was thinking back then.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Ghidorah the three headed monster. I always rented it along with a bunch of other Godzilla films when I would visit my grandparents as a kid.

Jinx
Young Farmer

Post by Jinx »

I grew up with tons of Godzilla VHS tapes, but the two that always seem to take me back and make me feel like a little kid sitting in-front of the TV again are Godzilla vs. Gigan and Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla. Something about those two movies make everything in the world okay.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Probably King Kong vs Godzilla, Mothra vs Godzilla, and Godzilla vs Monster Zero. KKvsG was my first kaiju film, and the first I owned on VHS. I watched it dozens of times as a kid, and it remains one of my favorites. Kinggoji, particularly the sequence where he's walking toward the train tracks, is still one of the first things that comes to mind when I think 'Godzilla'.

MvsG and GvsMZ were, if memory serves, the second and third G-movies I watched, when I rented them from Blockbuster. I only saw them twice and once, respectively, as a kid, but they still stuck with me. They're roughly my two favorites, now.

Honorable mention: Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla. I don't think I liked this one as much back then, and have no opinion on it now, not having seen it in several years. Still, I clearly remember watching in awe as Godzilla and King Seesar double-teamed and decapitated Mechagodzilla.

Smog Monster and Megalon were the only other Showa movies I saw in their entirety as a kid, and neither did much for me. I remember little bits and pieces from back then, but nothing I considered particularly special.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Oldschool62
Ronin

Post by Oldschool62 »

Godzilla vs the Smog monster notably the toys I could not have. Godzilla vs Megalon. I laughed my head off. I watched a lot of wrestling back then. Godzilla vs the sea monster. Just like James bond. My memories may be off now because I remember the w o r 9 Godzilla shows and dates differently than reported on the internet.

Mecha-SpaceGhidorah
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mecha-SpaceGhidorah »

Invasion of Astro-Monster (then know to me as Godzilla vs. Monster Zero). It was the second Godzilla movie I ever saw, it was on one of those Saturday sci-fi movie blocks along with Gamera vs. Gyaos. I recorded them and watched that tape, I'd say at least once a month for a year.

That's followed closely by Destroy All Monsters. That's the first one I ever saw and I got the chance to recorded it after awhile too.

Those three films make up so much of my childhood right there. Ah, good times. Good times.
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make its own judgments.
~ Zefram Cochrane (c. 2073)

WebHead
Monsterland Worker

Post by WebHead »

I would have to say Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla, when I was a kid I watched it all the time after i recorded it from syfy.

PRIMEVAL
Gotengo Officer

Post by PRIMEVAL »

I've watched Godzilla vs The Thing, Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla, and Terror of Mechagodzilla the most as a kid. Ghidrah and the Astro monster of I've only seen bits and pieces of as a kid but still gives me a bit of nostalgia just reminiscing.

RolandEmmerich4EVR
Yojimbo

Post by RolandEmmerich4EVR »

Ghidorah the Three-Headed Monster. It's probably not one of the better Godzilla films objectively speaking, but it has what I consider to be the best monster lineup of the series. When I was younger, it was the film that introduced me to Mothra, Rodan, and Ghidorah, which remain Toho's most important kaiju alongside Godzilla. I feel it's underrated because it didn't establish the Godzilla vs ________ formula the way Mothra vs Godzilla did, and didn't pack in as many kaiju as DAM.
"That's a lot of fish."

daijinryuu775489
Samurai

Post by daijinryuu775489 »

1) King Kong vs. Godzilla
2) Godzilla vs. the Sea Monster
3) Son of Godzilla
4) Godzilla vs. Megalon
5) Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla
"You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance!"

LiquidG
Terminated
Terminated

Post by LiquidG »

RolandEmmerich4EVR wrote:Ghidorah the Three-Headed Monster. It's probably not one of the better Godzilla films objectively speaking, but it has what I consider to be the best monster lineup of the series. When I was younger, it was the film that introduced me to Mothra, Rodan, and Ghidorah, which remain Toho's most important kaiju alongside Godzilla. I feel it's underrated because it didn't establish the Godzilla vs ________ formula the way Mothra vs Godzilla did, and didn't pack in as many kaiju as DAM.
Underrated ? I always assumed GTTHM was liked pretty well by a good portion of the fandom :| but yeah GTTHM has a lot of nostalgia for me too :)
TK's official member of the "Three L's of the Apocalypse"

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

Son Of Godzilla. It was always one of my favorite films when I was little, and it still is.

I actually have a friend who cried during the end of it once. But it was because the medication he was on made him very emotional for some reason.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa: