Favorite Alien Race?

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.

Favorite alien race

Xiens (Invasion of Astro Monster)
51%
Kilaaks (Destroy All Monsters)
11%
Nebulans (Godzilla vs Gigan)
7%
Simians (Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla/Terror of Mechagodzilla)
32%

Total votes: 57

MustafaDaisenso
Monarch Researcher

Favorite Alien Race?

Post by MustafaDaisenso »

What invading force of aliens do you like the best?

Its a tough choice for me, pretty much a tie between the Nebulans and the Simians. The Nebulans are more interesting villains, who actually have motivation for the invasion and are pretty creepy in and of themselves; the Simians are just so ruthless and violent, and that also makes them pretty memorable as well (I do think they were neutered a bit in TOMG, the lack of continuity with their transformation is annoying).
"I'm a freelance reporter, but... you could call me a scandal hunter hahahaha…"
Check out my YouTube channel for restored Toku trailers in HD
Rodan 1.85:1 US Reconstruction Thread

wizard of the north
Yojimbo

Re: Favorite Alien Race?

Post by wizard of the north »

... great topic! it answeres a question i was going to pose on this board regarding whether or not the aliens in all the movies were the same race, so thanks a lot! i like the simians because their presence spurs a memory of planet of the apes in my mind when i see them. the head chick from destroy all monsters is alluring as well ...
Last edited by wizard of the north on Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DeadpoolsbetterThanU
JXSDF Technician

Post by DeadpoolsbetterThanU »

The Kilaks to me seemed kinda dull. I've only seen Gigan like once, so I don't have much of an opinion on the Nebulans. The Simians are pretty cool and memorable, but to me they were kinda just eye candy. The Xiens to me were the ones who really had a plan and wasn't full on just blowing stuff up. Or maybe I don't remember the movies as well as I thought. Either way, the Xiens are still my favorite.
CHIMICHANGA!!!
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote:Nothing says AMURIKA like cars, explosives, guns, hot chicks, and tons of money being spent on it.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Gotta give it to the Xiens. Evil, deadpan robots with badass flying saucers. None of the others have left much impression on me, though it's admittedly been a lot of years since I've seen DAM or Gigan. Maybe my opinion will change next time I watch those.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Shadow
Futurian

Post by Shadow »

Yes yes, vote for the Xiliens. Soon we'll take over your precious world. *Evil laugh*

Xilien, I like them better for actually having a good plan, if it were not for others spying into it they would have succeeded in total global domination. (Not sure if I got the facts right, haven't seen the other movies for a while)
I love their shades though.
Half as long, twice as bright.
Resized ImageResized Image
Greatest Advertisement of all time.
Greatest Parody Video of all time.
TK's Resident Master Crazy Narrator and Attack on Titan fan

GotengoXGodzilla
EDF Instructor

Post by GotengoXGodzilla »

As cool as the Xiliens are in Invasion Of Astro-Monster, I think the better alien race is the Black Hole Aliens, specifically from Terror Of MechaGodzilla. Godzilla vs. MechaGodzilla set them up as threats and told us what we needed to know about them, but Terror Of MechaGodzilla built upon that by giving them personality and an identity.

Before, they were pretty much generic aliens...that turned into green monkeys when they got hurt. But in ToMG, suddenly they have a reason to conquer Earth, as well as showing that they can have fun while doing so. Building a giant mechanical version of Earth's greatest defender (at the time) wasn't the only thing, but also by taking in all of Earth's pleasures, like drinking and smoking. To me, that adds a whole new level to them and makes them so much more enjoyable villains.
Check out my film blog - Seeing Is Believing

eggcheese
Yojimbo

Post by eggcheese »

Even though the Seatopians are not technically an "alien race," they are the best! All hail Emperor Antonio!
"Oh no, they're getting pissed off!"

Huan_of_Valinor
G-Force Personnel

Post by Huan_of_Valinor »

I voted for the Xiens. I just like the way they were presented and exicuted.

the Simians are not very far behind though
Gojirawars 03 wrote: The Giant Condor is a blessing upon this Earth, however. He's easily the most important and most powerful kaiju in the franchise. so powerful that Godzilla is helpless against his power, and pleads for mercy, which the gracious Condor grants him. I mean, even the editor wasn't able to show a single shot of the Condor onscreen for more than half a second, because no-one can handle that much sheer power for more than a second.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

The Akholes, for those snazzy handle bar helmets!
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

LaserDuel
GPN Volunteer

Post by LaserDuel »

I was going to say the Mysterians, but they're not on this list, which is weird given that they were the first alien race. They had a giant robot, color-coded uniforms, capes, and Yoshio Tsuchiya. What's not to like?

In their absence I'd have to say the Simians, because Mechagodzilla and Titanosaurus.

Kubo
Sazer

Post by Kubo »

The aliens from the third planet from the black hole in outer space...that's quite a mouthful. These guys need to make a comeback in a Godzilla movie. They're way too cool to be restricted to just the Showa movies.
Giving myself brain damage wishing too hard upon a star.

Twitter: @Dawn_of_the_DED
If you follow me on there, shoot me a DM so I know you're from the forums.

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

Tyler wrote:Where'd "Nebulan" and "Simian" come from? They're not even ape-men in Terror, they're more like the mutants in Beneath the POTA.
I figured Nebulan was what the fans started naming the invading roaches due to the fact they hailed from Nebula M Space Hunter. The Black Holes Aliens, I never seen called anything other than that title up until issue forty-nine of G-FAN(http://www.g-fan.com/html/gfan_index/index_49.php) in an article featuring some spiffy artwork by Jeff Rebner ,and G-FAN publisher J.D. Lees entitled The Aliens of Godzilla. That's where I started seeing them called "Simeons". I wouldn't be too surprised Simeons is the name Toho had for the Black Hole Aliens, but didn't get used in the final script, or got lost in translation along the way. Ever since I saw the two flicks, Galaxy Quest and Tim Burtons' so-so remake of Planet of the Apes, along with the G-Fan alien article. I've been wanting to see the Simeons make a come back, with an updated look. A combination of Galaxy Quest's Big Bad, Sarris Image
,with Richard Baker's updated gorillas from POTA'01.
A ruthless bunch of so and sos who seem to enjoy inflicting some painful death to their enemies, and operatives who've failed them. But their brutality doesn't get in the way of the Simeons smarts for they seem to know not to put all their eggs in one basket, and have a secondary plan in place with having Mechagodzilla-2 in the works in case the first fails. And not arrogant enough to realize that their plans could use the help of alliances with the humans they eventually wish to dominate with their alliance with Dr. Mafune. And on top of that, revive his daughter from her near death experience , in order to keep the disgruntled scientist under their thumb.

But despite this love fest for those damn green apes, my vote goes to the alien Xians of Planet-X in Invasion of the Astro-Monster. Although not possessing Mechagodzilla, the Xians did have some pretty cool toys nonetheless. Also, the Controller and his posse didn't mind getting their hands dirty when they launched Monsters Zero through Two. Joining in the fight soon after the attack started with their spaceships. But like the Nebulans, although from what we saw with the one scene in the building, they were directly plugged into their computers which ran things for them. The Xians, especially the Controller though their cool tech made made them invincible, and their cold hearts gave them the edge. But victory didn't happen for them. But being the dudes who kicked off the first successful merger of daikaiju/alien invasion flicks, the Xians are tops in my book.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Post by Arbok »

The One and Only wrote:I wouldn't be too surprised Simeons is the name Toho had for the Black Hole Aliens, but didn't get used in the final script, or got lost in translation along the way.
Toho's official name for them is Black Hole Aliens. Simeon is a fan coined name, much like Xian was a fan coined name for the Xilien (X Aliens in Japanese) that was used until Toho's official name was well known.

For the Showa, it goes:

Mysterians
Natarl (pronounced Natal in all dubs)
Xilien
Kilaakian (although their crafts are called Kilaak UFO, etc)
Space Hunter Nebula M Aliens
Black Hole Aliens
Messiah 13 Aliens (from The War in Space)
If it bites... don't mess with it!

Dust_pan
Futurian

Post by Dust_pan »

Arbok wrote:Natarl (pronounced Natal in all dubs)
Wait a minute. THOSE guys were the Natal aliens? I thought they were just artificially-produced grunts or slaves created BY the Natal aliens. I know there's no evidence of that in the film, but it seems so crazy that those mysterious, deep-voiced, all-powerful alien invaders were just little monkey people. :lol:

The Natal are now my favorite Toho alien race. Because little monkey people with weapons of mass destruction are both hilarious and awesome.
Q: Will we see that monster that Bryan was going to reveal this morning at the press conference?
Cranston: Oh yeah! The only Godzilla movie with an X-rating.

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Post by Arbok »

Dust_pan wrote:Wait a minute. THOSE guys were the Natal aliens? I thought they were just artificially-produced grunts or slaves created BY the Natal aliens. I know there's no evidence of that in the film, but it seems so crazy that those mysterious, deep-voiced, all-powerful alien invaders were just little monkey people. :lol:
Yeah, it's quite amusing how lethal the Natarl are... until you see them and they just resort to pushing around the leads.

I'm kind of thankful they were the exception rather than the norm in that regard, as aliens like the Black Hole Aliens and Messiah 13 Aliens do a much better job at being menacing both in their crafts and outside, especially the latter considering how quickly they had their grunts kill most of the personal at the Goten base.

JGAR
Futurian

Post by JGAR »

When I think of Godzilla aliens, I think of King Ghidorah and the Kilaaks, with Xiens too. They are iconic.
Yooo 8-)

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

I really think the xilians are overrated. If they knew where Godzilla and Rodan were why didn't they just mind control them and have ghidorah attack with them both joining in so they could keep their conquest a secret for a little while? Gotta love the simians though. It's like planet of the apes trying to invade earth haha

Godzilla628
G-Grasper

Post by Godzilla628 »

It's a toss-up between the Simians and the Nebulans, both of whom I think were pretty cool. I might lean toward the Simians, as I really dig how intense they were in their two films.

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Post by Arbok »

Godzillian wrote:I really think the xilians are overrated. If they knew where Godzilla and Rodan were why didn't they just mind control them and have ghidorah attack with them both joining in so they could keep their conquest a secret for a little while?
Real reason: it makes for a more compelling story :xilien:

No prize explanation: its possible humanity coming to Planet X forced them to accelerate their plan. They had been on Earth for a long time, and they tell Namikawa only after they already made the trip that all preparations are ready. So could be they weren't quite ready and needed a decoy to buy them some more time.

S9y
Monarch Researcher

Post by S9y »

Easily the Kilaaks