Talkback: Godzilla vs. Hedorah (1971)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Can of Conspiracy
JXSDF Technician

Re: Talkback: Godzilla vs. Hedorah (1971)

Post by Can of Conspiracy »

Awesome! Thank you.
goblin shark (plural goblin sharks) [ˈgɒblɪn shärk'], noun:
1. a shark with a long pointed obstruction from forehead and growing to 3.8 meters in length; Mitsukurina owstoni.
2. not a reference to Guiron.

tymon
Futurian

Post by tymon »

Sci-Fi Japan TV is some great shit.
JAGzilla wrote:And then there was The Giant Condor. He...seemed very dedicated to what he was doing?

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

@Goji: I really like the animated sequences from the film. I felt like they added to the darker elements and were never really silly.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

The animated parts of it were...well, weird. But then again, that is what this movie is trying to aim with all of the messages of pollution being bad and such.
UNSTOPPABLE FURY. UNTHINKABLE POWER. UNBREAKABLE WILL.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

Godzillafan103
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Godzillafan103 »

I enjoyed how Hedorah truly embodied the issue of smog. It's tendency to switch forms kind of reminded me of how pollution takes many forms; thought that was a neat way of tying a kaiju into pollution.
I SWALLOW BLUE BALLS

com_mugAL
Yojimbo

Post by com_mugAL »

X_X X_X X_X X_X X_X X_X
Last edited by com_mugAL on Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

skuzzy-punk-kid
Monarch Researcher

Post by skuzzy-punk-kid »

After being stationed in Okinawa for 5 years, one starts to pick up on what words mean what. One word I picked up halfway through my assignment there was "kaisen." There's a restaurant there called "Kita-kaisen;" I wrote down the kanji and had the letters translated. Being new to it, I sort of reveled when the translator gave me "Northern Seafood."
And then, thinking back to the hallucination scene of the bar and the girl dancing on the bar with a fish mask on, she used the word "kaisen."

So...she was singing about seafood?
What :g2k:is :g2k:so :g2k:frikkin' :g2k:wrong :g2k:with :g2k:the :g2k:frikkin' :g2k:G2K :g2k:smiley :g2k:?
The :g2k:G2K :g2k:smiley :g2k:is :g2k:not :g2k:causing :g2k:you :g2k:any :g2k:freakin' :g2k:harm :g2k:!!!

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

.....no.

In the song it translates to something along the lines of "return" or "give back".

skuzzy-punk-kid
Monarch Researcher

Post by skuzzy-punk-kid »

Legion1979 wrote:.....no.

In the song it translates to something along the lines of "return" or "give back".
Heh, wasn't the first time I was wrong. Thanks for the correction.
What :g2k:is :g2k:so :g2k:frikkin' :g2k:wrong :g2k:with :g2k:the :g2k:frikkin' :g2k:G2K :g2k:smiley :g2k:?
The :g2k:G2K :g2k:smiley :g2k:is :g2k:not :g2k:causing :g2k:you :g2k:any :g2k:freakin' :g2k:harm :g2k:!!!

Kaiser
G-Force Personnel

Post by Kaiser »

It could also be Kaizen which translates roughly to "improvement" or "changes for better" but that word is used more often in a business sense so Kaisen would probably be more apt.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Well, the name of the song IS "Give Back the Sun" so...

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

Textless astronomy and nuclear fission segments in scope from the old German DVD.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

This is just something I wrote on FB about this movie a few weeks ago:

Godzilla vs. Hedorah is a movie best understood in terms of either collage or classical Soviet montage. Yes, much of the content is not organic to the core story; yes, it is frequently discordant, to the point that "discordant" could be called its primary tone. But to treat either of those facts as a criticism of the movie at some level of "objective quality" is simply to display one's own prejudices. The movie creates its meaning through its juxtapositions. Whether or not that is to one's personal tastes, it is the mechanism which, by design, powers Godzilla vs. Hedorah, and criticism of the movie should start by treating that as, at worst, a neutral trait.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Space Hunter M wrote:Textless astronomy and nuclear fission segments in scope from the old German DVD.

Stuff like this is always cool to see. Awesome finds, SHM.

Hybrid Gojira
Interpol Agent

Post by Hybrid Gojira »

I don't care for this movie, but I can understand why some people do. I just can't stand the (mostly) awful score, boring first fight, horrible editing, and the fact that Godzilla flies. This is basically Godzilla on acid. Visually, yes, this movie has some appeal, but it doesn't work for me overall. I don't need people dancing around in fish heads to make it a Godzilla movie. I don't care about the cartoons. This movie is not one I watch often, nor is it one I like very much. There is a reason Tomoyuki Tanaka said Banno "ruined Godzilla," and this movie is it.
Kaiju Transmissions Podcast Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/kaijutransmissionspodcast

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

Hybrid Gojira wrote: There is a reason Tomoyuki Tanaka said Banno "ruined Godzilla," and this movie is it.
Except he didn't actually say that.

Hybrid Gojira
Interpol Agent

Post by Hybrid Gojira »

Space Hunter M wrote:
Hybrid Gojira wrote: There is a reason Tomoyuki Tanaka said Banno "ruined Godzilla," and this movie is it.
The quote comes from Steve Ryfle, so if you have a better one, please share. Steve is pretty well respected for his work. I think the actual quote was "you ruined the Godzilla series," but that seems like kinda potato, "potatoh" kinda stuff to me.
Kaiju Transmissions Podcast Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/kaijutransmissionspodcast

cmdmstudios
JXSDF Technician

Post by cmdmstudios »

I've actually done a reedit of this film not too long ago, not because I hate the original (I personally really enjoy the original film), but was just curious about a few what if's, as in 'what if the soundtrack was different', 'what if the editing was done in a more traditional style', etc, as well as just practicing my editing skills.

When you remove the animations, the flying sequence, and some other things, the film really does become quite dark, especially with changing out the soundtrack with Masaru Sato's earlier scores. While I'll still always love the original version, I am quite proud of what I've done.

Also, I managed to use the Titra dub, which I feel is a definite plus.
Well, that's certainly a thing.

"Well, you see, the Higgs Bison is the friendliest species of the water buffalo."

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

Hybrid Gojira wrote:
Space Hunter M wrote:
The quote comes from Steve Ryfle, so if you have a better one, please share. Steve is pretty well respected for his work. I think the actual quote was "you ruined the Godzilla series," but that seems like kinda potato, "potatoh" kinda stuff to me.
https://youtu.be/N1dL7lA7bss?t=9m47s

And Steve ain't a god, BTW.

Hybrid Gojira
Interpol Agent

Post by Hybrid Gojira »

Space Hunter M wrote:
Hybrid Gojira wrote:
Space Hunter M wrote: Except he didn't actually say that.
https://youtu.be/N1dL7lA7bss?t=9m47s
That's not exactly a rebuttal. He even says that Tanaka didn't like his take on the character.
And Steve ain't a god, BTW.
And when did I claim he was?