Talkback: Godzilla vs. Hedorah (1971)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Gamera216
Ronin

Talkback: Godzilla vs. Hedorah (1971)

Post by Gamera216 »

Godzilla vs. Hedorah aka Godzilla vs. the Smog Monster

The first of the 1970's Godzilla films, and, for better or worse, one of the more memorable entries in the Godzilla series.

Okay, so do you like this movie or hate it. Point out what you like and what you don't like

Like: I like that it is a good challenge for Godzilla and that the ending is really a good battle.

Dislike: That When Hedorah flys through the construction site there is not sound when it falls apart. The Theme for when Godzilla comes around! That in the final battle when Hedorah burns Godzilla's hand off that you'll some times see his hand still has skin then it goes to without then back to skin.
He'll Come... Gamera will come again

HayesAJones
Keizer

Re: Godzilla vs Heordah. Love it? Hate it?

Post by HayesAJones »

I love it! It's just crazy and introduces a very cool villain. Oh, and Godzilla flying just may be the most amazing thing ever on film.

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Post by Arbok »

I love it. It's unique, crazy, and out there.

If there were more like it in the franchise, I probably wouldn't care for it as much. However, as the lone super bizarre entry in the series it has a lot going for it. This, Gigan, and Mechagodzilla tend to be the ones that I find myself watching quite often oddly enough.

Plus, Hedorah is such a strange creation. Unlike anything Godzilla has faced before, even drastically different from Destoroyah even though they have similar evolution patterns.
If it bites... don't mess with it!

Legionmaster
Xilien Halfling

Post by Legionmaster »

Love it. The cheapness of the Hedorah suit works for it, everything in the film is just so ridiculous its awesome, it brings a very avant garde feel to the series, and Godzilla flies. If only that damn kid wasn't so effing annoying...
bleep bloop

Legionmaster
Xilien Halfling

Post by Legionmaster »

Legion1979 wrote:
Legionmaster wrote:The cheapness of the Hedorah suit works for it
What so cheap about the Hedora suit? You want a cheap Hedora suit? Go watch Final Wars.
The low budgetness of Godzilla films in general. The Hedorah suit is just a bunch of floppy crapt put on a suit. And, wouldn't you know, it looks fantastic. The GFW Hedorah suit prob cost more to make lol. It was just horrible execution, but otherwise it looks good too.

I think what I mean can be explained by lookin at Jet Jaguar. He's supposed to be a robot. Made of metal. But, because they're just latex suits, he looks like a foam robot. It's awful. But Hedorah makes it look good.
bleep bloop

Legionmaster
Xilien Halfling

Post by Legionmaster »

But Mechagodzilla looks like metal. JJ doesn't. And just because I'm a fan doesn't mean I have to like everything about them.
bleep bloop

HedorahLives
Monsterland Worker

Post by HedorahLives »

It's funny how the reputation of Godzilla vs Hedorah has been reformed in the last decade. Back around the end of the 90s, I remember everyone disliking it, considering it part of the slouch in quality from Godzilla's Revenge to Godzilla vs Megalon. I like my Godzilla movies to be at least half insane and GvH is probably the most insanely weird film of the franchise, complete with a great, original villain (okay, they borrowed from The Blob) and a director with some ambitious, crazy ideas. I mean...Hedorah is basically a walking turd. When he's swimming in the water, the underneath shots make him look like a floater.

Drunken Kong
Monsterland Worker

Post by Drunken Kong »

The movie is awesome. It's the first film in awhile that is actually "dark" in some sense, showing the death of people.

Yeah Godzilla flys, but so what. That girl with sexy clam dancing in the beginning is dope so that makes up for it. And the intro song for the film is catchy as well.

It's definitely a film stuck in it's time, but it's still a goofy and fun movie.
XBL: TripMasterMunky

Killswitch
G-Force Personnel

Post by Killswitch »

One of the better films from the 70's. Hedorah was a very cool monster, but the film didn't end well IMO. It should of ended when Godzilla destroyed the white balls. I still don't understand how or why another Hedorah popped out, and took off. Godzilla flying was a huge No, No!

Hedorah
Xilien Halfling

Post by Hedorah »

One of my favorite Showa movies!!! (who would've thought???) It's so original and just insane! Godzilla flying = one of the most epic scenes in the series. Hedorah was a great villain and a great challenge for Godzilla, it was an all around good movie.
#1 DEXTER FAN ON TK!

Godzilla 2000 wrote:tl;dr is just l33tsp34k for "you talk too damn much."
I wrote: Fuck the Dave the isn't footings happen

g2kmaster
JXSDF Technician

Post by g2kmaster »

I do not get the cheapness comments.

As for the film itself, it is one of my favorites of the franchise. It is abstract and yet is at the time the darkest kaiju film since the original Gojira (Mothra vs. Godzilla, while a good film, is not as dark as this film). Plus, I love Hedorah and the concept of him and just... it oozes with awesomeness. Especialy the abstract imagery. Almost art house.

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Godzilla vs Hedorah

Post by JVM »

It's one of the better Showa films, and definitely the most unique. Hedorah's executed amazingly for a '70s production and Godzilla's at his most heroic hour.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

DaikaijuSokogeki!
JXSDF Technician

Post by DaikaijuSokogeki! »

I love it. The psychedelic atmosphere of the film makes it hands-down one of the most unique in the franchise. Hedorah is one of Godzilla's most menacing villains, Godzilla has a strong presence as a monster not too keen to humanity forced to fight something humanity created, and the human characters progress the story well. I personally have always dug the music score for some strange reason. Manabe's score just works in some weird fashion. The SPFX are also pretty neat too, especially Hedorah's transformation sequence. The way you can see his shadow on the background looks sweet as hell.

So yeah, a very fun Godzilla film that too often gets dismissed for its psychedelic attitude, even by its own producer. I'd prefer Banno over several of the directors Toho hired in the Heisei period any day of the week.

ZigraDude
Monarch Researcher

Post by ZigraDude »

I love it. It's one of a kind. I don't think Yoshimitsu Banno ruined Godzilla at all, like Tanaka told him, he just established Godzilla as an ally of mankind. Is it different? Hell yeah, but it didn't ruin Godzilla at all. It introduced one of Godzilla's greatest foes and it seems Japan is in love with Hedorah nowadays. The Save the Earth song is fun to listen to, especially the AIP version.

Kuroneko-sama
Yojimbo

Post by Kuroneko-sama »

Love it! I loved it as a kid, and I still love it as an adult. It's original, it's fun, it's dark at times, but, overall, it's a great film to watch. Manabe's score can be a bit irritating at times, but it fits in with the movie rather well, so it doesn't detract from the film too much. Hedorah's one of my all-time favorite Godzilla enemies - I'm really hoping they bring it back. Considering the massive amounts of Hedorah references even outside of Japan, I can see it one day making a comeback. :huge:
バカばっか
There are as many people as there are stars...
There are as many encounters as there are stars...
And farewells...

-Ruri Hoshino, Nadesico: the Prince of Darkness

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

I don't hate it but i don't love it neither... The music wasn't really my thing, The kid was so annoying, the whole rave thing.music gave me a headache like it does in real life.

On the plus side Heordah was unique for it's time, It was an interesting take on franchise.. The ending battle was good an im sure i wasn't the only 1 on the first view to make the ''Wtf face'' when Godzilla started to fly Lol

So i might give it a 1-1/2 out of 5. It wasn't the worst Godzilla film i have seen but i don't see me viewing it more then once a year at most.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

I absolutely love just about everything about this movie. I can't help it. I've praised it enough in the past. It's one of my absolute favorite films, and still one of the strangest I've ever seen, to this day. I would have loved to see Banno do another Godzilla film, and it's a shame his original Godzilla 3-D project never got off the ground *dodges tomato*
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

There are strange moments in the film, but it was allright. Hedorah was an interesting character, and it was different to see Godzilla face an opponent he couldn't defeat. Godzilla had faced and defeated monsters, and now he faces one that can't be beat. That it took human and monster to beat Hedorah was interesting, and would be repeated in vs Destroyah. The human characters were decently played, and the flying scene has to be one of the most memorable in the whole series of films.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

GotengoXGodzilla
EDF Instructor

Post by GotengoXGodzilla »

I love Godzilla vs. Hedorah. Its so different from any other Godzilla film and feels more like an acid trip. Flower people, a giant pollution monster, Godzilla flying...its great fun. The characters are kind of flat or uninteresting, but its the weird atmosphere about this film that makes me want to watch it. The fight style also seems somewhat different from other Godzilla films, and its something that I would like to see more of.
Check out my film blog - Seeing Is Believing

shinmattiathekaiju
EDF Instructor

Post by shinmattiathekaiju »

it's good and watchable.
Living Corpse wrote:Being underrated and underground is overrated.
Varan Bon Ziller wrote:The lack of Bay is always a plus...

http://www.youtube.com/user/Ultramanmattia1