Least Favorite '70's Godzilla film

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.

Godzilla vs Hedorah
21%
Godzilla vs Gigan
21%
Godzilla vs Megalon
46%
Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla
4%
Terror of Mechagodzilla
7%

Total votes: 149

MustafaDaisenso
Monarch Researcher

Post by MustafaDaisenso »

What is your least favorite G film of the 1970's?

Mine is probably Godzilla vs Hedorah, largely due to its bi-polar and uneven tone, its odd pacing, and its lackluster monster battle that goes on too long without any tension. Also, the character development is extremely poor, basically on par with Megalon, and there is some sloppy writing in there too. It can't decide if it wants to be a serious social commentary, a trippy acid exploitation flick, or a children's monster movie.

My personal ranking of the era is (from best to worst):

Godzilla vs Gigan
Godzilla vs Megalon
Terror of Mechagodzilla
Godzilla vs Hedorah

Your responses?
"I'm a freelance reporter, but... you could call me a scandal hunter hahahaha…"
Check out my YouTube channel for restored Toku trailers in HD
Rodan 1.85:1 US Reconstruction Thread

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Re: Least Favorite '70's Godzilla film

Post by Rody »

I voted Godzilla vs. Gigan. Don't get me wrong, I still like the movie and retain childhood nostalgia for it, but it's probably the weakest film of the bunch, next to Megalon, which I enjoy a little more for it's absurd nature.

20th Century Boy
Futurian

Post by 20th Century Boy »

I think Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla lacks the extreme fun factor of Gigan and Megalon, while also lacking the quality and depth of Terror of Mechagodzilla, so it gets my vote. Though I haven't seen Hedorah in a few years, I'll have to give it a watch soon...

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Don't have one. All 70's films are a blast. I wish more saw the light of day.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

Rody wrote:I voted Godzilla vs. Gigan. Don't get me wrong, I still like the movie and retain childhood nostalgia for it, but it's probably the weakest film of the bunch, next to Megalon, which I enjoy a little more for it's absurd nature.
These are my same feelings. I also didn't like the way the stock footage in Godzilla vs. Gigan was implemented.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

Dust_pan
Futurian

Post by Dust_pan »

I like all of these movies. But of the bunch, I think I like Godzilla vs Hedorah the least. Hedorah is one of my most favorite kaiju, but the movie itself had dismally boring protagonists and monster fights that weren't all that tense or exciting. I still like the movie. It just isn't as fun or evenly-paced as the others imo.
Q: Will we see that monster that Bryan was going to reveal this morning at the press conference?
Cranston: Oh yeah! The only Godzilla movie with an X-rating.

Megalon7
Monsterland Worker

Post by Megalon7 »

MaxRebo320 wrote:Don't have one. All 70's films are a blast. I wish more saw the light of day.
Legion1979 wrote:I can't vote. I love all these movies.
I agree with these two posts. I love watching all five of them. It doesn't even matter what mood I'm in.

Plexton
EDF Instructor

Post by Plexton »

Honestly, I feel the same way; there are flaws in all of these movies, to be sure, but I really do enjoy all of them as fun films.

godzilla98rules
EDF Instructor

Post by godzilla98rules »

^Same here. I like all of the movies listed for different reasons. But I can list them by the amount of times I'll watch them:

Godzilla vs Megalon
Terror of Mechagodzilla
Godzilla vs Gigan
Godzilla vs Hedorah
godzilla98rules's Digital Paintings & More: http://godzilla98artworks.weebly.com/index.html
GeekyAustin: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQloD4 ... EJpzdZq3ag

Resized Image Resized Image

R.I.P. George Root III

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

Jomei wrote:If you had a gun to my head, I'd probably say Gigan just because the fight scene is a little on the slow side.
Indeed it is - and what's more, the last time I watched it I noticed that the suit actors didn't look like they were giving their full effort. I'm not referring to the camera speed; there are several moments where it looks like Godzilla or one of the other kaiju aren't throwing their punches as hard as they could.
...Which makes the stock footage scenes all the more jarring.

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

I know I voted for it, but I'm surprised Godzilla vs. Gigan has the lead with 10 votes. :?
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Megalon got my vote; the movie has some entertaining moments, but leaves me a little uncomfortable and depressed.

I very nearly voted for vs. Mechagodzilla, simply because it bores me in places, but it does have a lot of Nakano's best effects work.

Overall, my ranking of the 70s flicks would probably be:

Hedorah
Terror of Mechagodzilla
Gigan
Mechagodzilla
Megalon

Although the top two could switch places, depending upon what day you ask me.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

JGAR
Futurian

Post by JGAR »

I haven't seen Godzilla VS Megalon yet, so far its Godzilla VS Gigan for me.
Yooo 8-)

Megalon-5
JXSDF Technician

Post by Megalon-5 »

Megalon7 wrote:
MaxRebo320 wrote:Don't have one. All 70's films are a blast. I wish more saw the light of day.
I agree with these two posts. I love watching all five of them. It doesn't even matter what mood I'm in.
I gotta agree with these guys. There's literally no 70's era Godzilla film that's my least favorite. If anything, they're my all time favorites.

Dust_pan
Futurian

Post by Dust_pan »

Megalon-5 wrote:I gotta agree with these guys. There's literally no 70's era Godzilla film that's my least favorite. If anything, they're my all time favorites.
I prefer most of the 60's films over the 70's films. But I do prefer the 70's films over most of the Heisei and Millenium films.
Q: Will we see that monster that Bryan was going to reveal this morning at the press conference?

MustafaDaisenso
Monarch Researcher

Post by MustafaDaisenso »

JGAR4Entertainment wrote:I haven't seen Godzilla VS Megalon yet, so far its Godzilla VS Gigan for me.
Believe, Megalon has the huge fun factor of Gigan, but its so dumb at times that it will make your head hurt. I appreciate Gigan for both its filmmaking qualities and the fact that my brain doesn't bleed when I watch it.

Wow I gotta say I'm pretty surprised at the results so far. Gigan and Mechagodzilla are probably my top two Godzilla films of all time and they're leading this list!

People get too nostalgic about Megalon: its pretty much an all around poor movie, and people are more willing to excuse flaws in Megalon that they won't for Gigan. Gigan,for all its faults, hearkened back to the golden days of the series (it was kind of like Monster Zero on a budget).

And the Hedorah fan club just makes me :roll:
"I'm a freelance reporter, but... you could call me a scandal hunter hahahaha…"
Check out my YouTube channel for restored Toku trailers in HD
Rodan 1.85:1 US Reconstruction Thread

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

Trying to pick a least favorite 70's Godzilla film is like choosing a least favorite son. I can't do it.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Where is the "none" option in the poll?

I'm actually serious.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Dust_pan
Futurian

Post by Dust_pan »

Wow. No least favorite at all among a bunch of you guys? Not even for a tiny reason?

I'm not complaining, I'm just truly surprised.

Legionmaster
Xilien Halfling

Post by Legionmaster »

Least favorite just means the one you like the least, not which one you dislike the most. Even if you like them all, you can have a least favorite.
bleep bloop