Least Favorite '70's Godzilla film

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.

Least Favorite '70's Godzilla film

Godzilla vs Hedorah
21%
Godzilla vs Gigan
21%
Godzilla vs Megalon
46%
Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla
4%
Terror of Mechagodzilla
7%

Total votes: 149

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Least Favorite '70's Godzilla film

Post by eabaker »

Billzilla1974 wrote:
Maritonic wrote:
Ivo-goji wrote:I'll always be surprised that the first Mechagodzilla film is more popular than the second.
AMEN.

Terror of Mechagodzilla is far superior.
I beg to differ, I think the first MechaGodzilla film is paced better, has more satisfying and violent battles, and *better music.
*I don't think Ifukube's score in ToMG matches up to his prior works, or the previous film's score.
Terror is very slow, but everything that is happening is relevant to the story. vs. Mechagodzilla moves better, but so much of the human story is just irrelevant running around/punching/shooting that I to just zone out.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Billzilla1974
Interpol Agent

Post by Billzilla1974 »

eabaker wrote:
Billzilla1974 wrote:
Maritonic wrote:
AMEN.

Terror of Mechagodzilla is far superior.
I beg to differ, I think the first MechaGodzilla film is paced better, has more satisfying and violent battles, and *better music.
*I don't think Ifukube's score in ToMG matches up to his prior works, or the previous film's score.
Terror is very slow, but everything that is happening is relevant to the story. vs. Mechagodzilla moves better, but so much of the human story is just irrelevant running around/punching/shooting that I to just zone out.
Whereas you might've zone-fighter-ed out from MG's human story, I lost interest when it came to ToMG taking far too long to introduce Goji for only a few seconds and blaring the annoying MG2/Titanosaurus theme for most of the movie.

Not to mention ToMG's plot isn't without its holes, like why Mafune got beaten up for theorizing Titanosaurus in 1960 despite several "dinosaur/dino-like" kaiju appearing since 1954.
Last edited by Billzilla1974 on Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Never forget the Showa Era, R.I.P, Haruo Nakajima 8/7/2017. :g64:
Extra THICC!

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

Mafune would have been called crazy if he failed to produce evidence of his discovery regardless of whether it was plausible in setting or not.

Monsters like Godzilla and Rodan rampaging might have tarnished his reputation worse, making it look like he was trying to exploit the disasters for his own prestige in the scientific community, infuriating a public that had lost so much to kaiju by claiming he could control them.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

GodzillaXGomoraFight
Gotengo Officer

Post by GodzillaXGomoraFight »

I voted for Godzilla vs. Megalon in this poll. I believe that if it wasn't for the role Megalon played in the Atari games of the 2000s, my opinion of Megalon would be much less. I like the design of Megalon and I find his weapons to be cool; however, after my last couple views, I cannot stand how idiodic Megalon acts. Personally, I have never been much of a fan of Jet Jaguar and while I like Gigan, he was much more effective in the previous Showa film. I will also argue that the human action in this film is the most forgettable of the 70s Godzilla movies. I will always remember the Nebula Aliens or Katsura, but I can't say the same for Godzilla vs. Megal9n outside of those inventors and the kid.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Ivo-goji wrote:Mafune would have been called crazy if he failed to produce evidence of his discovery regardless of whether it was plausible in setting or not.

Monsters like Godzilla and Rodan rampaging might have tarnished his reputation worse, making it look like he was trying to exploit the disasters for his own prestige in the scientific community, infuriating a public that had lost so much to kaiju by claiming he could control them.
But as I recall, he wasn't mocked and attacked for claiming that he can control them, but for simply claiming that a dinosaur like being existed. I'm with Billzilla on that one; this plot point is absolutely absurd. Unless a poor translation on the subtitles changed the plot point that he was being mocked for his claims that he could find a way to control rather than simply for its existence, which is the impression that I got the last time that I watched.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

The human characters (and BHP3) from TOMG are just much more interesting than those in GvMG74. Then again, TOMG was the film I saw the most since the the first one wasn't in print. (Still isnt).
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

For some reason, of all the Toho-produced Godzilla films to receive a theatrical release in the west Megalon, actually came closest to having a successful run both financially with critics and became one of the most, if not the most recognized Godzilla film stateside for the longest time. On the other hand literally all the rest were either panned or pulled from theaters altogether. Why do you people think that this was the case? From what I heard, the advertising campaign was really aggressive and is it also possible could've the film's distributors at the time, Cinema Shares paid the critics to leave positive reviews?
Last edited by LegendZilla on Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:53 am, edited 7 times in total.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Because it had a big and successful ad campaign? And it was well known because it was aired on prime time television on fuggin' NBC of all places, had the most unauthorized releases of any Godzilla film on VHS (nearly 30), and was featured on MSTK. All of this stuff is pretty well documented.

And there's no evidence that Godzilla movies were "pulled from theaters" any quicker than any other genre and exploitation films of the time.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

SuperPawnageGigan
G-Force Personnel

Post by SuperPawnageGigan »

I don't have a favorite since i did not watch hedorah or Megalon or the First Mechagodzilla.
8-BIT MADNESS
2 Friends having a good time.

LockBite
JXSDF Technician

Post by LockBite »

Megalon is in a league of its own (ok, shares it with AMA). It’s the laziest, cheapest one of the bunch. Gigan is overrated, with a really dry and boring first half and a somewhat dull end battle.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

I like both Mechagodzillas because they sum up the tones of Honda and Fukuda - the first is brisk, jazzy and action oriented while the second is somber, quiet and downright funereal in places. It's like they knew the character was on his way out. Godzilla wading off at the end is really moving to me.

My vote goes to Megalon - that and Zone Fighter was probably Godzilla's biggest rut. I think he managed to climb out of it a little bit with the Mecha-G films but it was already too late.

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

To me, it's GODZILLA VS. GIGAN that's my least favorite. It's just back and forth from Gengo's house to Godzilla Tower, and Gigan and King Ghidorah "hovering" around Godzilla Tower.
"Just as you distrust us, so we distrust others as well. It's wrong. We're all human. As humans we are responsible to each other. We are related. Refuse us, and you will abandon your brothers. We must learn to help each other."
- Sakai, Godzilla vs. The Thing

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

GodzillaBurgh wrote:To me, it's GODZILLA VS. GIGAN that's my least favorite. It's just back and forth from Gengo's house to Godzilla Tower, and Gigan and King Ghidorah "hovering" around Godzilla Tower.
That flying King Ghidorah prop is definitely one of the weakest props in the series for sure haha. But I dunno, I've always found Gigan's story to be more interesting than Megalon's.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Maritonic wrote:
GodzillaBurgh wrote:To me, it's GODZILLA VS. GIGAN that's my least favorite. It's just back and forth from Gengo's house to Godzilla Tower, and Gigan and King Ghidorah "hovering" around Godzilla Tower.
That flying King Ghidorah prop is definitely one of the weakest props in the series for sure haha. But I dunno, I've always found Gigan's story to be more interesting than Megalon's.
Yeah. It's back and forth from Gengo's house to Godzilla Tower, where one of the most likable protagonists the series gave us in that period is interacting with one of the most entertaining supporting casts the series gave us in that era.
Last edited by eabaker on Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

LockBite
JXSDF Technician

Post by LockBite »

I would say Gigan felt like the most “tired” Godzilla film of that era. Ghidorah’s lack of movement pretty much symbolizes how the producers felt about the whole thing. Megalon is probably better due to the camp factor now that I think about it.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

LockBite wrote:Megalon is probably better due to the camp factor now that I think about it.
I'd say Gigan is actually the campier film, in that its approach is so self-aware; Megalon is more kitschy.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

By the end of Megalon, I still didn't know who the protagonists were; one of them had only had his name spoken, I believe, once. Say what you will about vs. Gigan; the characters have names, relationships, backstories... much as I love Jet Jaguar, that has to put vs. Gigan ahead by a good margin, in my book.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Zarm wrote:By the end of Megalon, I still didn't know who the protagonists were; one of them had only had his name spoken, I believe, once. Say what you will about vs. Gigan; the characters have names, relationships, backstories... much as I love Jet Jaguar, that has to put vs. Gigan ahead by a good margin, in my book.
Come on, I thought you were a big fan of... guy, and... other guy, and... first guy's much younger brother.

I do actually remember Goro and Roku-chan's names (although I only remember Goro's because it numerically precedes Rokuro's), but as for Goro's friend...

Ah, the internet tells me it is Hiroshi. Good to know.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Megalon is the worst by a mile. I'd go as far as to say it's one of the worst Godzilla films ever made

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

To be honest, I actually enjoyed the cast of GODZILLA VS. GIGAN, just as I love the characters in GODZILLA VS. THE SEA MONSTER. The special effects, besides MEGALON, is the most lackluster, especially the King Ghidorah prop.

"Just as you distrust us, so we distrust others as well. It's wrong. We're all human. As humans we are responsible to each other. We are related. Refuse us, and you will abandon your brothers. We must learn to help each other."
- Sakai, Godzilla vs. The Thing