Least Favorite '70's Godzilla film

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.

Least Favorite '70's Godzilla film

Godzilla vs Hedorah
21%
Godzilla vs Gigan
21%
Godzilla vs Megalon
46%
Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla
4%
Terror of Mechagodzilla
7%

Total votes: 149

Gamera vs Rodan
JXSDF Technician

Re: Least Favorite '70's Godzilla film

Post by Gamera vs Rodan »

Doctor Kaiju wrote:
Godzilla 1995 wrote:Megalon is a piece of crap, there's no way around it. But it's an entertaining piece of crap.
That's my favorite 70's Godzilla film; those who dismiss it as crap are missing all of the subtle nuances and juxtapositions that make this the finest Godzilla film of that decade, and perhaps of all time.
I read your post about the subtle nuances and all that... still think it's the least entertaining of the '70s films, not sure why it all having meaning beyond monsters fighting would change that but hey, I'm not into "movies as art"!

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

I think you missed the joke.

mechabrent
Monarch Researcher

Post by mechabrent »

Doctor Kaiju wrote:
Gamera vs Rodan wrote: I read your post about the subtle nuances and all that... still think it's the least entertaining of the '70s films, not sure why it all having meaning beyond monsters fighting would change that but hey, I'm not into "movies as art"!
If you're not entertained by the impotent bobbing of the brightly-colored United Nations dolphin boat, you are beyond my grasp. I have failed you.
I was so moved I made it my signature.
The United Nations are represented by the little brightly-colored dolphin boat.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

Well played, Doctor Kaju; well played. :lol:
...So, if the dolphin boat represents the United Nations, what does the whirlpool that sucks it up represent?

Brooklyn's Revenge
GPN Volunteer

Post by Brooklyn's Revenge »

Doctor Kaiju wrote:
Rody wrote:Well played, Doctor Kaju; well played. :lol:
...So, if the dolphin boat represents the United Nations, what does the whirlpool that sucks it up represent?
That is obviously the black void that will eventually consume us all, the abyss that is the World Bank.
So bleak! Are you German by any chance?

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

Oddly, I guess I have to vote Gigan, despite the monster itself being among my favorite Showa creations from Toho. The movie is really not that good, IMO nowhere near Hedorah or the two Mechagodzillas. Megalon is even worse, yet entertainingly bad, whereas Gigan isn't so much. It's not that Gigan is that bad, but at least Megalon has a quirky spirit to it.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

mechabrent
Monarch Researcher

Post by mechabrent »

Tohosaurus wrote:Oddly, I guess I have to vote Gigan, despite the monster itself being among my favorite Showa creations from Toho. The movie is really not that good, IMO nowhere near Hedorah or the two Mechagodzillas. Megalon is even worse, yet entertainingly bad, whereas Gigan isn't so much. It's not that Gigan is that bad, but at least Megalon has a quirky spirit to it.
Not to mention the talking Godzilla
The United Nations are represented by the little brightly-colored dolphin boat.

Dust_pan
Futurian

Post by Dust_pan »

mechabrent wrote:Not to mention the talking Godzilla
You say that as if it's a universally bad thing. I thought that the talking Godzilla was the second most entertaining part of the movie. Like Brooklyn's Revenge said, he sounds like an elderly ogre or something. XD
Q: Will we see that monster that Bryan was going to reveal this morning at the press conference?
Cranston: Oh yeah! The only Godzilla movie with an X-rating.

MrGameguy
EDF Instructor

Post by MrGameguy »

Dust_pan wrote:
You say that as if it's a universally bad thing. I thought that the talking Godzilla was the second most entertaining part of the movie. Like Brooklyn's Revenge said, he sounds like an elderly ogre or something. XD
But it was by far the stupidest part of the flim.
Originally known as TourettesGigan.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

Gigan has the best dub ever conceived by the mind of man.

"Tell me now, what do you think?"
"Stupid, but at the same time cunning. Seems to me a very curious specimen indeed."

"That's certainly a different fella. That just settles it!"
"Eh?"
"This Fumio, he was as thick as two short planks!"
Last edited by Space Hunter M on Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dust_pan
Futurian

Post by Dust_pan »

TourettesGigan wrote:
Dust_pan wrote:
But it was by far the stupidest part of the flim.
Doesn't mean that it can't be entertaining. Godzilla flying, Godzilla dancing, and Godzilla tail-sliding are some of the funniest and well-loved moments in the series.

Hell, a lot of stupid things are considered funny (Just look at the majority of internet memes).
Q: Will we see that monster that Bryan was going to reveal this morning at the press conference?

MrGameguy
EDF Instructor

Post by MrGameguy »

Dust_pan wrote:
Doesn't mean that it can't be entertaining. Godzilla flying, Godzilla dancing, and Godzilla tail-sliding are some of the funniest and well-loved moments in the series.

Hell, a lot of stupid things are considered funny (Look at the majority of internet memes, for instance).
I wasn't saying it was bad in anyway.

Dust_pan
Futurian

Post by Dust_pan »

TourettesGigan wrote:
Dust_pan wrote:

Hell, a lot of stupid things are considered funny (Look at the majority of internet memes, for instance).
I see. The "but" at the beginning of your sentence made me assume that you were arguing against the talking scene.
Last edited by Dust_pan on Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrGameguy
EDF Instructor

Post by MrGameguy »

Dust_pan wrote:
TourettesGigan wrote:
Dust_pan wrote:

I see. The "but" at the beginning of your sentence made me assume that you were arguing against the talking scene.
Sorry if it came off that way.
But still, WTF who ever was behind the talking sense. :eh:

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Well, in the Japanese version, where Godzilla and Angilas have dialogue balloons in those scenes, they make perfect sense for the style and themes of the movie. In the dubbed version, having them speak aloud rather than ion dialogue balloons is a bit less effective, but that likely comes down to the expense that would have been required for Toho to optically print the lines differently for every language in which the film was going to be distributed.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

KaijuFiend
Rainbowzilla

Post by KaijuFiend »

Had to go with Godzilla vs Megalon because some of the ways Megalon moves are just so... odd, and I don't like Jet Jaguar a whole lot. There's also loads of awkward stock footage (like when Megalon fights against military jets, and his arms turn into Gigan's because they re-used footage from GvG). Still, though, Megalon is a classic and tons of fun, just not quite as good as the others.

SUPERTOHOREMIX
Futurian

Post by SUPERTOHOREMIX »

For me, its Vs Hedorah.

Absolutely can not stand that one ... Its definitely not for me.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Megalon of course, but I don't actively hate it like some people do. It's fun in a cartoony Showa Gamera kinda way.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

he-ba
Interpol Agent
Location: Sitting home and chatting with my best friend....... Titanosaurus!!

Post by he-ba »

I love every Toho Godzilla movie (and hopefully soon Legendary!), no matter how cheesy or stupid or dark. I'm one of those people!
TK's resident Titanosaurus super-fan

Maybe Minilla was some mutation inside a Kamacarus' ootheca and that's why they attacked..... Maybe Minilla ISN'T the Son of Godzilla! He's some weird Kamacari that Godzilla felt bad for!

..... Nope, the other guys would never accept that..........

I don't know even know what a he-ba is......

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BIG GUY!!!!!!!!

Ōei
Monarch Researcher

Post by Ōei »

i like all the 70s films but if I had to pick 1 it would be Godzilla vs Gigan.