Least Favorite '70's Godzilla film

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.

Least Favorite '70's Godzilla film

Godzilla vs Hedorah
21%
Godzilla vs Gigan
21%
Godzilla vs Megalon
46%
Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla
4%
Terror of Mechagodzilla
7%

Total votes: 149

KaijuFiend
Rainbowzilla

Re: Least Favorite '70's Godzilla film

Post by KaijuFiend »

HEY ANGUIRUS
WHADDA YA WANT?
*Epic gong*
SOMETHING FUNNY GOING ON, YOU BETTER CHECK
OKAAAY
HURRY UP!

HEY ANGUIRUS, COME ON, THERE'S A LOT OF TROUBLE AHEAD! THAT WAY!
OKAAAY

Ninjasaurus
GPN Volunteer

Post by Ninjasaurus »

The winner was obvious even before the OP made this poll. It will always be Megalon.

Gojira1963
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira1963 »

Ninjasaurus wrote:The winner was obvious even before the OP made this poll. It will always be Megalon.
That does surprise me a bit. Megalon is my favorite of the 70s while I was under the impression that Gigan was the least liked.
Liam F.

My science fiction/Fantasy blog. with Godzilla content! http://foleyfunfilmfacts.wordpress.com/

Ninjasaurus
GPN Volunteer

Post by Ninjasaurus »

Gojira1963 wrote:
Ninjasaurus wrote:The winner was obvious even before the OP made this poll. It will always be Megalon.
That does surprise me a bit. Megalon is my favorite of the 70s while I was under the impression that Gigan was the least liked.
Gigan is usually its main competitor for worst of the 70s. I have no problem with anyone liking Megalon; my comment was how it seems to be popularly thought of as the worst Godzilla film, with the possible exception of All Monsters Attack.

Dr.Cgad
Samurai

Post by Dr.Cgad »

For godzilla vs megalon, only watch the mst3k version if you can find it.
Try not to get sucked into the vortex of hell Billy!

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Godzilla vs. Megalon is definitely one of the worst of the series, but it's entertaining. I think someone had said it's almost similar to the Showa Gamera films, and I actually completely agree with this. But compared to Gigan, Hedorah, and both Mechagodzillas there is definitely no contest.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

I'll always be surprised that the first Mechagodzilla film is more popular than the second.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Ivo-goji wrote:I'll always be surprised that the first Mechagodzilla film is more popular than the second.
AMEN.

Terror of Mechagodzilla is far superior.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

No doubt. Cyborgs for the win.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

^ That's beautiful art, must see the full image...

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

ToMG is actually my choice for least favorite. Too depressing and grim, and just kind of... unpleasant. Hedorah's also a top contender, but the sheer quality of the filmmaking rescues it for me.

But I guess I'm the kinda guy that will take goofy and harmless over well-made and miserable any day- and for me, both ToMG and vs. Hedorah are the latter.
Last edited by Zarm on Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Terror's bleakness is one reason I love it so much. That and a female cyborg who is also kind of a Mad Scientist's undead daughter controlling both Mechagodzilla and Titanosaurus and making them destroy EVERYTHING is just so appealing to me. But it's certainly one of the darker Showa entries.

However I'd also say Hedorah is pretty dark too, with people literally dropping dead in the streets. Granted, it's camp offsets that.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Zarm wrote:But I guess I'm the kinda guy that will take goofy and harmless over well-made and miserable any day- and for me, both ToMG and vs. Hedorah are the latter.
I can enjoy either approach, depending upon my mood. To me, Hedorah is kind of a best-of-both-worlds option, being both goofy and miserable. :D

Terror of Mechagodzilla is an incredibly grim movie, in a very different way from anything else in the series. I used to find it off-putting, but now I really love it. However, it is very mood specific for me.

If I'm in the mood for goofy and harmless, to me Gigan stands well above Mechagodzilla or Megalon; it is easily my top pick for light-weight 70s kaiju action.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

eabaker wrote:
Zarm wrote:But I guess I'm the kinda guy that will take goofy and harmless over well-made and miserable any day- and for me, both ToMG and vs. Hedorah are the latter.
I can enjoy either approach, depending upon my mood. To me, Hedorah is kind of a best-of-both-worlds option, being both goofy and miserable. :D

Terror of Mechagodzilla is an incredibly grim movie, in a very different way from anything else in the series. I used to find it off-putting, but now I really love it. However, it is very mood specific for me.

If I'm in the mood for goofy and harmless, to me Gigan stands well above Mechagodzilla or Megalon; it is easily my top pick for light-weight 70s kaiju action.

I agree with this. It's all very mood specific for me, as well.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

To me Terror's darker tone works so well because it's the final film of the Showa series. The story that started with Serizawa's sacrifice ends with Katsura's sacrifice.
Resized Image

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

That's a tough call to make. I haven't seen vs. Mechagodzilla in a long time, so I'll take that one out of the running. Otherwise... well, it pains me to say it, but I guess I have to go with Megalon. The final battle is a true highlight of the franchise, but most of what precedes it is not. I love it anyway, of course, but the other movies in this category simply do a better job of being interesting/entertaining throughout.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Maritonic wrote:
Ivo-goji wrote:I'll always be surprised that the first Mechagodzilla film is more popular than the second.
AMEN.

Third.

....mainly because TOMG is my all time favorite Godzilla film.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:
Maritonic wrote:
AMEN.

Third.

....mainly because TOMG is my all time favorite Godzilla film.
It's up there for me, as well. There are themes never used again in other Godzilla films that I REALLY genuinely love.

The Baranosdragon
GPN Volunteer

Post by The Baranosdragon »

Godzilla vs Hedorah. No disrespect for Banno, but seriously, I'm not a fan of this film. The music is bad, the pacing is weird, bizarre scenes are everywhere which serve little to no purpose... you get the idea. The best thing about this film is Hedorah itself; it's a pretty neat Kaiju, especially for what it is.

Again, I don't mean to disrespect Banno, but I can't bring myself to like this film. At all.
January 1st, 1929 - August 8th, 2017. May Haruo Nakajima Rest in Peace.

Billzilla1974
Interpol Agent

Post by Billzilla1974 »

Maritonic wrote:
AMEN.

I beg to differ, I think the first MechaGodzilla film is paced better, has more satisfying and violent battles, and *better music.
*I don't think Ifukube's score in ToMG matches up to his prior works, or the previous film's score.
Never forget the Showa Era, R.I.P, Haruo Nakajima 8/7/2017. :g64:
Extra THICC!