Least Favorite 50's and 60's Godzilla Movie

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.

Least Favorite 50' and 60' Godzilla Movie

Gojira
1%
Godzilla Raids Again
24%
King Kong vs. Godzilla
1%
Mothra vs. Godzilla
1%
Ghidorah The Three Headed Monster
1%
Godzilla vs. Monster Zero
4%
Ebirah Horror of the Deep
4%
Son of Godzilla
5%
Destroy all Monsters
3%
Godzilla's Revenge
56%

Total votes: 135

Gamera vs Rodan
JXSDF Technician

Re: Least Favorite 50's and 60's Godzilla Movie

Post by Gamera vs Rodan »

Godzilla 1995 wrote:So, if having kids be the stars of a film automatically makes it terrible, please explain why Super 8, Up, and other films starring kids have done critically well.

Genuinely serious here.
Having the kids be the stars of a film doesn't automatically make it terrible. I didn't say that, I didn't even call Son of Godzilla terrible. My point was it tends to not work in franchises that already exist, I wasn't speaking of stand-alone films or franchises that always had kids. I think with the exceptions of Aliens and Terminator 2 when a child is thrown into a franchise as a main character that film inevitably either sinks the franchise or is at least considered one of the worst entries. It does depend on how it's done, though, see my problem is with a film franchise like Godzilla kids already love it, so why try to gear it more towards them? It's almost like they're insulting their fanbase by claiming what they want are these way dopier movies than what came before when kids already loved it. Some movies do survive this idea, though, like Daniel in the animated Transformers film, that said they did try to treat him as a surrogate for the children watching and the problem is any kid watching wanted to be Hot Rod not Daniel so it doesn't really make sense.

I'm fine with the other two posts, you guys make good points/arguments, I'd just say to eabaker that for me these films appeal comes from the monsters, effects, action, music, atmosphere and all that and not at all from the human characters/story which I find more appealing in other films, tv shows or whatever else. A lot of it is the language barrier, I can't get invested in the performances/characters as well because I'm constantly having to read what they say and the subtitles are sometimes poor translations that make the dialogue seem dumber than it actually is, this is a lot of why I expect to be a big fan of the story/characters for Godzilla 2014 like I never was for the others.

Shacker9227
Monsterland Worker

Post by Shacker9227 »

Did my opinion really start this? Sheesh...
"Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice. Pull down your pants, and slide on the ice." - Sydney Freedman, M*A*S*H

gojira96
Monarch Researcher

Post by gojira96 »

Godzilla 1995 wrote:
Varan Bon Ziller wrote:I guess Gojira is just hokey human filler till Gawdziller smashes.

Hey it rhymes.
And the worst part is that I bet there are others who think this.
Gojira is a thought provoking film and some people don't want to to watch films that are thought provoking. Or without colour. Or in a foreign language. Or without CGI effects.

Kubo
Sazer

Post by Kubo »

^ Not gonna lie, B&W films were things i stayed away from until I managed to sit through a couple gems of the era. Still trying to get into silent movies though, but I digress. Godzilla is an absolute classic. Terrifying, dark, and haunting. Several scenes jump out at me the moment someone brings the film up, and considering he only seen the film a handful of times (3 or 4), that says something about the movie.
Giving myself brain damage wishing too hard upon a star.

Twitter: @Dawn_of_the_DED
If you follow me on there, shoot me a DM so I know you're from the forums.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Tied between Godzilla's Revenge and King Kong vs Godzilla.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Tied between Godzilla's Revenge and King Kong vs Godzilla.
I'm curious, why rank KKvsG so low?
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Gamera vs Rodan
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gamera vs Rodan »

I would have thought Gojira would be an implied exclusion from what I was saying alongside Mothra and Rodan, the true classics of the genre.

KaijuFiend
Rainbowzilla

Post by KaijuFiend »

Well this was a no-brainer: Godzilla's Revenge/ All Monsters Attack is easily the worst. Sure, Raids Again was a snoozefest, but it didn't fail quite as spectacularly as Revenge did.

First of all, there are the two titles. All Monsters Attack? Yeah, except for Ghidorah, Rodan, Mothra - you know, the most interesting ones. And the non-Gabara fights that happen are all stock footage, so it's not like we even get to see anything new with the few returning monsters that are there. Godzilla's Revenge? He doesn't get revenge on anyone, unless you count fighting back against Gabara revenge for how Gabara treated Minilla... But Godzilla forced Minilla into those fights to begin with.

Gabara just isn't that interesting of a monster in my opinion - it's like a Persian cat got thrown into a blender with a dinosaur and lost its tail in the process. His electric powers don't help him stand out, either - Kong did electricity infinitely better. I wish there was something more to Gabara to make him likeable, but there's nothing there. If GR introduced a compelling monster, it may have been a worthwhile entry into the series. As it stands, though, the only fathomable reasons to watch it are to laugh at the sheer awfulness of it, and morbid curiosity.

The human plot makes little sense either. Ichiro constantly falls asleep, even when held at knifepoint by robbers, because they decided that Godzilla should only exist in Ichiro's dreams for some reason. The ending really makes no sense. If it had stopped at Ichiro pushing down the human Gabara, it would be fine. Instead, Ichiro proceeds to endanger a man's life by honking the horn on his bike, causing him to fall off the ladder he was on. And then Ichiro joins the group of bullies... To do what? Bully other people? Or are the bullies reformed now? It's never explained, and I don't understand why Ichiro would want to join them after they were so horrible to him.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

To answer eabaker's question, its just never really clicked with me for some reason not to mention several of the fx shots are unbearably bad. But no I haven't seen the Japanese version yet, and will probably never get to. I don't like Gigantis or Revenge a whole lot better, though I still like all three of them better than Tezuka's Millennium stuff.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983