Best Godzilla film of the '60's?

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.

Best '60's Godzilla film?

King Kong vs Godzilla
11%
Mothra vs Godzilla
40%
Ghidorah, the three headed monster
13%
Invasion of Astro Monster
12%
Ebirah, Horror of the Deep
4%
Son of Godzilla
3%
Destroy All Monsters
15%
All Monsters Attack
1%

Total votes: 124

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Best Godzilla film of the '60's?

Post by eabaker »

Varan Bon Ziller wrote:
kiryu42red wrote:^ you don't like gorjira?
He said Mothra vs Godzilla is the best, expect for Gojira...At least, that's what I think he meant.
Also, this thread is dedicated to movies made in the 60s.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

GotengoXGodzilla
EDF Instructor

Post by GotengoXGodzilla »

Tough call, but I'm going with Mothra vs. Godzilla.

To me, that is the perfect monster movie. Every scene in that film exists for a reason, and fulfills its purpose without being too long or too short. The story is a nice balance of an interesting human plot (even with themes of distrust and corruption) and an intense monster plot, with the two being blended together into one solid coherent story. The monster scenes set up the stacks well and both of the monster fight scenes are suspenseful and exciting to watch. The military actually tries to branch out and do more than just shoot Godzilla with tanks, planes and missiles, showing that they're thinking outside of the box, leading to some creative military sequences. The score is the best work that Akira Ifukube has ever done and helps to set the tone and atmosphere for many scenes.

Mothra vs. Godzilla is just one of those films where everything comes together perfectly, and everyone does their best to give the audience something they won't forget. I've loved this film since I was a kid, and my appreciation for it grows every time I watch it.

If I had to pick a second film, it would be Son Of Godzilla. In much the same way as Mothra vs. Godzilla is, everything just clicks with SoG. It is also the most well written Godzilla film I can think of, all culminating in what I think is the best ending in the entire franchise. It takes a lot to make me cry at a movie, but SoG found a way with how it ends. My only complaint is the Godzilla suit, which I think is horrid. Other than that, Son Of Godzilla is fantastic.
Check out my film blog - Seeing Is Believing

Man of Steel
Gotengo Officer

Post by Man of Steel »

I went with Destroy All Monsters. I don't know why - but it was fun, for the time, to see most of the monsters come together for one big brawl. I certainly rather enjoyed it.
"Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. But I rather believe
that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every
moment - because they'll never come again."
- Captain Jean-Luc Picard (Star Trek: Generations)

:godzilla: :gigan: :mechagodzilla: :spacegodzilla:
GO AND FOLLOW MY TUMBLR
http://trexgoesroar.tumblr.com

GFAN198423
Xilien Halfling

Post by GFAN198423 »

I voted Mothra vs. Godzilla. While 60's Ghidorah and 70's Mechagodzilla are my most favorite Godzilla foes, it doesn't change that Mothra vs Godzilla is just the best vs movie ever done, at least for me.

It's a great balance of Godzilla alone, Mothra alone, and the two colliding. Godzilla himself looks and acts as evil as he was in Gojira, something that'd been lost in the two films between Gojira and this one and lost for a long time after this. For me, the evil Godzilla in the original film is how he should be portrayed. Don't get me wrong, I have a lot of love for the vs films of the 60s and 70s, but if I were asked to pick a defining portrayal for Godzilla, that's what I'd go with, that's how he is in my more favorite incarnations. I understand that the bulk of the vs films were aimed at a younger audience and they needed a softer Godzilla, but this movie clearly shows that a darker Godzilla can still go head to head with another monster and not come off as campy or anything. I feared the idea of the new Legendary film having other monsters until I realized how serious a vs film this one was and realized a serious vs film was possible. I do wish the extra beach scene from the American version had been in the original, more Godzilla action is never a bad thing.

Panther10
JXSDF Technician

Post by Panther10 »

GFAN198423 wrote:I voted Mothra vs. Godzilla. While 60's Ghidorah and 70's Mechagodzilla are my most favorite Godzilla foes, it doesn't change that Mothra vs Godzilla is just the best vs movie ever done, at least for me.

It's a great balance of Godzilla alone, Mothra alone, and the two colliding. Godzilla himself looks and acts as evil as he was in Gojira, something that'd been lost in the two films between Gojira and this one and lost for a long time after this. For me, the evil Godzilla in the original film is how he should be portrayed. Don't get me wrong, I have a lot of love for the vs films of the 60s and 70s, but if I were asked to pick a defining portrayal for Godzilla, that's what I'd go with, that's how he is in my more favorite incarnations. I understand that the bulk of the vs films were aimed at a younger audience and they needed a softer Godzilla, but this movie clearly shows that a darker Godzilla can still go head to head with another monster and not come off as campy or anything. I feared the idea of the new Legendary film having other monsters until I realized how serious a vs film this one was and realized a serious vs film was possible. I do wish the extra beach scene from the American version had been in the original, more Godzilla action is never a bad thing.

Just so there is no confusion later, I feel I should inform you now that traditionally the Heisei series of films are more commonly known as the "vs. series" while the Showa films are usually referred to among fans by its proper name

Godzilla628
G-Grasper

Post by Godzilla628 »

Dang this is a tough one..... but I voted for King Kong vs. Godzilla. It was one of my first exposures to the Big G. It was also my first Showa movie.

Dust_pan
Futurian

Post by Dust_pan »

GFAN198423 wrote:It's a great balance of Godzilla alone, Mothra alone, and the two colliding. Godzilla himself looks and acts as evil as he was in Gojira, something that'd been lost in the two films between Gojira and this one and lost for a long time after this. For me, the evil Godzilla in the original film is how he should be portrayed.
I agree with you that MvG was one of Godzilla's darker portrayals in the Showa series. He was an antagonist, he destroyed cities, he supposedly killed many people, and in the end he was defeated by much nobler monsters.

But I don't agree with you about Godzilla ever being evil. I don't think he was an evil villain in the original Gojira film. He was just pissed off and wanted to take his anger out on everything around him. Even a nice likable person can be pushed to do bad things, especially when they're angry. And sometimes it's even understandable when that happens. It's hard to tell why Godzilla was destroying buildings in MvG, but I didn't see any malice in his actions. As far as I can tell, he was just on his way somewhere and all those cities were simply in his way.

I think Godzilla's only evil role in the entire series was GMK, but even that is debatable because he was possessed by angry spirits in that movie.
Q: Will we see that monster that Bryan was going to reveal this morning at the press conference?
Cranston: Oh yeah! The only Godzilla movie with an X-rating.

GFAN198423
Xilien Halfling

Post by GFAN198423 »

Dust_pan wrote:I agree with you that MvG was one of Godzilla's darker portrayals in the Showa series. He was an antagonist, he destroyed cities, he supposedly killed many people, and in the end he was defeated by much nobler monsters.

But I don't agree with you about Godzilla ever being evil. I don't think he was an evil villain in the original Gojira film. He was just pissed off and wanted to take his anger out on everything around him. Even a nice likable person can be pushed to do bad things, especially when they're angry. And sometimes it's even understandable when that happens. It's hard to tell why Godzilla was destroying buildings in MvG, but I didn't see any malice in his actions. As far as I can tell, he was just on his way somewhere and all those cities were simply in his way.

I think Godzilla's only evil role in the entire series was GMK, but even that is debatable because he was possessed by angry spirits in that movie.
Well I don't mean to say he's blatantly evil persay, I just used evil as an easy way to describe him compared to later Showa era films, where eventually he was almost called upon like flashing the Batsignal in the sky. I prefer where he's a threat to humanity and is either taken on by a heroic monster or a villain and his fighting the villain is about self-defense and not looking out for mankind.

three
Keizer

Post by three »

misvoted, picked GTTHM, should have been the Astro Monster. i liked the involvement of the aliens and all that jazz as well as the lack of the goofy mothra larva. now that might give off the wrong impression: i liked GTTHM, but having mothra get her butt kicked and the cosmos understanding the monsters was weird and kinda..meh for me.
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®
axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - bitch in space.

Dust_pan
Futurian

Post by Dust_pan »

I wonder. Do the people who voted for DAM actually watch the movie all the way through every time they see it? Or do they only skip to the monster scenes?
Q: Will we see that monster that Bryan was going to reveal this morning at the press conference?
Cranston: Oh yeah! The only Godzilla movie with an X-rating.

three
Keizer

Post by three »

Dust_pan wrote:I wonder. Do the people who voted for DAM actually watch the movie all the way through every time they see it? Or do they only skip to the monster scenes?

personally i watch the entire film as a courtesy for all the great moments Godzilla movies have brought me, but i'm only there for the monster fights. being completely honest.
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®
axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - bitch in space.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Mothra vs Godzilla but I'm dying to see the Japanese version of King Kong vs Godzilla

DrBreakfastMachine
Interpol Agent

Post by DrBreakfastMachine »

I voted for Ghidorah: the Three-headed Monster. First of all I have a soft spot for that movie because it introduced Ghidorah, my favorite kaiju of all time, and brought Rodan, one of my other favorites, into the Godzilla series. I also love the crazy human plot, with all the espionage and psychic stuff, and the insane UFO believer and his "hole in the dimension" theory for how the princess survived the plane explosion. It also really delivers on the monster action, with lots of destruction and a great end battle.

Gargantua
Samurai

Post by Gargantua »

eabaker wrote:
Varan Bon Ziller wrote:
kiryu42red wrote:^ you don't like gorjira?
He said Mothra vs Godzilla is the best, expect for Gojira...At least, that's what I think he meant.
Also, this thread is dedicated to movies made in the 60s.
I do like Gojira, its just not my favorite, thats exactly what I meant, and thats a good point sir.

RolandEmmerich4EVR
Yojimbo

Post by RolandEmmerich4EVR »

Probably Mothra vs Godzilla, although Ghidorah was the kaiju equivalent of The Avengers (bringing together Godzilla, Mothra, and Rodan to fight a new enemy) and deserves more credit.
"That's a lot of fish."

MegaEvilSaurus666
G-Force Personnel

Post by MegaEvilSaurus666 »

Ghidorah The Three Headed Monster was a very good movie in my opinion.
It is what started more than two monsters fighting and Godzilla and Rodan fight for the first time.
It is also the first time a Mothra larva was the only form of Mothra in a movie.
I can't forget that it is the first time Godzilla's most popular foe appeared: King Ghidorah.
It is the first and last time in the 60's that he was called Ghidrah.
I'd change my username if I had the chance. It's a typo. It's supposed to be "66," and it's a very unfortunate thing to have on my account. Please help. :lol:

GojiraFan1999
Yojimbo

Post by GojiraFan1999 »

Ghidorah, The Three-Head Monster, And Ebirah, Horror Of The Deep That's My Best Of Godzilla Movies/Films In 60's

Gojira1963
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira1963 »

GojiraFan1999 wrote:Ghidorah, The Three-Head Monster, And Ebirah, Horror Of The Deep That's My Best Of Godzilla Movies/Films In 60's
I watched Ghidorah, The Three-Head Monster last night and I used to think it was a weaker entry i n the early Showa series but I find myself liking it much more.
Liam F.

My science fiction/Fantasy blog. with Godzilla content! http://foleyfunfilmfacts.wordpress.com/

MrGameguy
EDF Instructor

Post by MrGameguy »

Probably Monster 0.
Mainly because Mothra vs G bored the hell out of me & I haven't DAM & King Kong vs G.
Originally known as TourettesGigan.

MutheSquirrel
GPN Volunteer

Post by MutheSquirrel »

Um, I actually have two picks for this...
The young me that first saw Godzilla back in the late 80s picks Destroy All Monsters. I don't think it takes much explaining why a 7 year old would pick a complete monster mash-up over anything of any contextual meaning, but also keep in mind that when I saw it the BBC only had the rights to broadcast a select few of the movies: Invasion of Astro-Monster, Ebirah: Horror of the Deep, Son of Godzilla, Destroy All Monsters, Godzilla vs. Gigan, Godzilla vs. Megalon, and Terror of Mechagodzilla. So, for the longest time as far as I was aware those were the only ones that even existed. The others, to a child that had never really seen a monster movie before, involved far too much yammer and not enough giant monster suits.

However, the adult me has to go with Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster. This was the first time Godzilla showed signs of becoming a hero, and that change was in no small part thanks to my favourite kaiju; Mothra. You have no idea how happy that made me when I first saw the movie. Mothra, you the best girl. It was also the turning point for Godzilla's win average. Up until then he'd only got to beat up Anguirus, and while I love Anguirus, everyone can beat him up. Normal sized butterflies could beat up Anguirus. Finally, while some movies got a little too silly or too stock-footage-y, Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster managed to have just the right amount of serious and silly to keep me smiling.