THE H-MAN (1958)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Gussilla95
Yojimbo

THE H-MAN (1958)

Post by Gussilla95 »

Didn't see a thread on this. Still haven't got round to watching it, but it looks entertaining and quite creepy.
Japanese Man 1: RUN! IT'S GODZILLA!
Japanese Man 2: It looks like Godzilla, but due to international copyright laws - it's not.
Man 1: STILL! WE SHOULD RUN LIKE IT IS GODZILLA!
Man 2: Though it isn't.
Man 2 Winks at Camera; both scream and run away]

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Re: THE H-MAN (1958)

Post by Tohosaurus »

It's one of my favorite Toho Showa-era films. It is indeed a little bit creepy; maybe eerie is a better word.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

20th Century Boy
Futurian

Post by 20th Century Boy »

Love this movie!! It's a fun twist on the whole crime thrillers genre, and the atmosphere and characters are just great. One of Honda's most enjoyable films.

Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Rodan »

I recently got this as part of Sony's "Icons of Sci-Fi - Toho" three-pack, and thought it was the best of the bunch.

I'm convinced a young David Lynch must have seen this film, because it's about one scene-last-uncomfortably-longer-than-it-should away from hitting all his later signatures. It's not fully realized, but there's that element of nightmare surrealism along with the B-movie tropes that helps make this a lot more enjoyable than it should be. One of my favorite showa-era Honda films, easily.

Is The Human Vapor really better? Is it available on any Region 1 releases? I'd love to see it.
Last edited by Rodan on Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Rodan »

Godzilla 1995 wrote:Overall a solid film, and the H-Man is a unique and interesting villian. The melting scenes didn't look too bad, which is a plus. The characters are interesting enough, but the problem with the film is the final act, when the city is being evacuated. It just becomes a little more boring, and even the characters fall a little flat, especially our lead female role(Seriously? Just standing there and freaking out? Come on!).
Yeah, I'll have to agree with this. The ending feels like a major step down from the rest of the film, but I guess that's what I meant by "not fully realized."

It's a late-'50s Toho sci-fi film. Even if the first three-fourths have an excellent atmosphere, it's hard to expect the ending to be anything other than abrupt and cliched.

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

Having watched this recently, I do think it's a fairly effective film and an interesting example of genre-mixing.

I did have a bit of a hard time figuring out who was who in terms of the drug deal. So yes, Chikako's boyfriend stole the drugs. Gotcha. So who exactly was Uchida? I'm assuming he was the bf's partner, right? So the fellow who snuck into Chikako's apartment and held a gun up to her before fleeing and melting...was he the guy they stole from? And who exactly was the dead guy at Melted Yakuza #2's home?

The film spent so much energy trying to juggle both subplots during the second half that I found myself getting lost.

Nonetheless, whenever it focused on the H-Man itself, it was especially eerie and effective. The special FX were good, with only one real unconvincing shot (the dancer getting covered with the green goo).

For those of you who think that Toho sci-fi/horror films need more female skin, then this is the film for you.

Stevo_1985
JXSDF Technician

Post by Stevo_1985 »

Just watched this morning. What a great film. This and the Mysterians may very well have made their way to the my top favorite movies. It's a fun movie. H-men are creepy, particularly when they are on the deck of the boat. Very erie scene. My only complaint is the intro music. Sounds more like the opening to a circus performance then a horror flick.

Sorry Kiryu
#Notmymechagodzilla

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

H-Man is a solid scifi movie because the liquid monster works well with the scale of the story being told. It's harder to imagine a daikaiju or alien invasion movie being able to mesh with the gangster/police drama elements. Here there's something smaller and less dangerous on the loose, but still terrifying and beyond anything the characters are prepared to confront.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

Stevo_1985
JXSDF Technician

Post by Stevo_1985 »

Ivo-goji wrote:H-Man is a solid scifi movie because the liquid monster works well with the scale of the story being told. It's harder to imagine a daikaiju or alien invasion movie being able to mesh with the gangster/police drama elements. Here there's something smaller and less dangerous on the loose, but still terrifying and beyond anything the characters are prepared to confront.
Sounds like you just described Dogora. I've never seen it, I want to though. I just know from the synopsis I read on it that it has gangsters and a giant space ameoba thing.

Sorry Kiryu
#Notmymechagodzilla

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

^I haven't seen Dogora but I'd like to, especially if the two film have stuff in common.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

I love The H-Man, it's easily one of my absolute favorite Horror films. ^_^ It's like The Blob crossed with a Gangster film, I just love the juxtaposition and how well the two mesh together.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

It's a great example of sci fi/horror. The boat scene is very creepy, and the crime elements give the sci fi plot a good stage to build on. It's a favorite Toho movie of mine.

As for Dogora, it's not as good as The H-Man in regards to gangster/kaiju films. I still recommend seeing it, but the liquid monsters are more entertaining.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

I saw this yesterday, it's a pretty good film. The only problems it has is the uninteresting car chase and the scene where one of the H-men kills a bikini-clad woman and it just freeze frames on her as the effect slowly consumes her. Bit of an odd moment. It's nowhere near as engaging as The Human Vapor when it comes to the characters and the titular villain's appearances, but it's totally worth watching anyways. The musical scenes in the nightclub had some really nice blocking, and Ishiro Honda always manages to create the right moody, and at times unsettling, atmosphere. The climax at the end featuring three characters in the sewers as the gas is lit was pretty well done. Now that I brought up The Human Vapor, does anybody know how the budgets between these movies compare? The set pieces in The H-Man felt far more elaborate and technically high end, especially when comparing their climaxes.
Last edited by Mr_Goji_and_Watch on Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.