Monster Discussion #12: King Kong

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
edgaguirus
Keizer

Re: What do you think of the KKvG version of Kong?

Post by edgaguirus »

It was a better suit than what we got in KKE.

Suit aside, Kong was a strong and intelligent kaiju. His physical prowess was equal to Godzilla's, but he showed more tactical skill. Overall, Kong's performance was pleasing.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

James23873
Monsterland Worker

Post by James23873 »

^ Agreed, his performance was what really sold it for me. Little things like him studying the burns he got from Godzilla. Or when he lured Godzilla down the mountain so he could hide and spring a surprise attack. That's what I loved about this Kong. This is my third favorite incarnation of him, next to Peter Jackson's and the original.
You know, Darth Vader cannot be Luke Skywalker's father. They don't have the same last name.
-Woody Boyd

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

I agree with edgaguirus and James23873. It's just too bad the suit looked as bad as it did.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

wrongnote85
G-Force Personnel

Post by wrongnote85 »

my favorite thing about the 62 kong was his ability to lengthen and shorten his arms at will, although we never did get to see this superpower happen on screne, just between shots.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

wrongnote85 wrote:my favorite thing about the 62 kong was his ability to lengthen and shorten his arms at will, although we never did get to see this superpower happen on screne, just between shots.
Can't tell if serious :lol:

Personally, I love Toho Kong. I saw the original KING KONG around the same time I saw KING KONG VS. GODZILLA as a kid, and I have always loved both versions of the character for different reasons. The Toho Kong has this orge-esqe quality to him that just works, IMO. As an interpretation of a giant great ape, he doesn't look very good, but Hirose's performance as Kong is so memorable, you almost forgive how "bad" it looks. I also thought that him being able to conduct, and be powered by electricity was actually pretty bad ass.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

menschenjaeger
Monsterland Worker

Post by menschenjaeger »

wrongnote85 wrote:my favorite thing about the 62 kong was his ability to lengthen and shorten his arms at will, although we never did get to see this superpower happen on screne, just between shots.
That must be where the Indian guy from Master of the Flying Guillotine learned it...

Dr. Nishiyama
Monsterland Worker

Post by Dr. Nishiyama »

I adore Toho Kong. He was also the very first Bandai toy I ever bought. I love how Toho took everything traditional about the original and added their own flavor and spin to him (something Tri-Star didn't do with GINO). His suit is awful, but it holds some sort of charm for me and I wish this Kong had a few more movies to his belt. Really wish they made that KKvsG sequel in 1963. I also LOVE his roar.

GodzillaDude
Futurian

Post by GodzillaDude »

Dr. Nishiyama wrote:I adore Toho Kong. He was also the very first Bandai toy I ever bought. I love how Toho took everything traditional about the original and added their own flavor and spin to him (something Tri-Star didn't do with GINO). His suit is awful, but it holds some sort of charm for me and I wish this Kong had a few more movies to his belt. Really wish they made that KKvsG sequel in 1963. I also LOVE his roar.
I collect various Godzilla toys and I have always wanted a Toho Kong. Is it possible I could find it on Amazon or Ebay still? I have searched for a Toho Kong figure but no luck so far.

EDIT: I just found the Bandai 1993 Toho Kong figure but it's about 100 bucks on Amazon lol

Anyways I really don't think Kong's suit was as bad as a lot of people say it is. I think it is better than the one they used for King Kong Escapes.
SA
W: 72 L: 72

Instagram: @bloodeejacobreviews

Youtube channel (TV shows, movies, games, horror in general, etc): http://www.youtube.com/c/BloodeeJacob

Julia Bristow
EDF Instructor

Post by Julia Bristow »

Even though the Kong suit for King Kong vs Godzilla looks pretty bizarre but the orge like face gives the suit its charm. However, Kong's performance in the film is pretty good and it far outweighs the goofiness of the suit's look.
All Movie snobs can just f off IMO

Dr. Nishiyama
Monsterland Worker

Post by Dr. Nishiyama »

GodzillaDude wrote:
Dr. Nishiyama wrote:I adore Toho Kong. He was also the very first Bandai toy I ever bought. I love how Toho took everything traditional about the original and added their own flavor and spin to him (something Tri-Star didn't do with GINO). His suit is awful, but it holds some sort of charm for me and I wish this Kong had a few more movies to his belt. Really wish they made that KKvsG sequel in 1963. I also LOVE his roar.
I collect various Godzilla toys and I have always wanted a Toho Kong. Is it possible I could find it on Amazon or Ebay still? I have searched for a Toho Kong figure but no luck so far.

EDIT: I just found the Bandai 1993 Toho Kong figure but it's about 100 bucks on Amazon lol

Anyways I really don't think Kong's suit was as bad as a lot of people say it is. I think it is better than the one they used for King Kong Escapes.
You might be able to find an untagged Kong figure on the cheap somewhere. In a figure guide I saw a fews years ago, the price of an untagged Bandai Kong is around $45 or so. I got mine back in '94 from a catalog I found in a fanzine (Anyone on here heard of Club Daikaiju?). Funny enough, Godzilla '93 was my first choice but was out of stock at the time lol

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I've always liked this version of Kong. He's not my favorite kaiju by any means, but he stands out from the Toho crowd and and made for a very memorable opponent for Godzilla. Never minded the suit, either. It's limited and cheap-looking, but did what it needed to.

Also, he rammed a tree down Godzilla's throat. That alone has to earn him some points.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Kong was a fierce fighter.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Godz
G-Force Personnel

Post by Godz »

Honestly he's my favorite version of Kong, and the first one I ever saw.
SAVE_US.GDZ

GodzillaDude
Futurian

Post by GodzillaDude »

Godz wrote:Honestly he's my favorite version of Kong, and the first one I ever saw.
Same with me. I had heard of who Kong was the first time I seen KKvG so he was the first version I saw as well. KKvG Kong is my favorite version of him even now.
SA
W: 72 L: 72

Instagram: @bloodeejacobreviews

Youtube channel (TV shows, movies, games, horror in general, etc): http://www.youtube.com/c/BloodeeJacob

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

I'm one of the biggest fans of the showa era you can find, and the Kong suit in this film is...well...it's an embarassment. Really nothing good to say about it at all. If not for the cool, unique G suit, this film would have been hard for me to sit through (and I like this movie too...well, the Japanese version at least). As a kid and just getting into Godzilla, I was big dinosaur nut and loved the original King Kong, and when I found this on VHS and begged my parents to get it for me, I was thinking "Holy shit, Godzilla vs King Kong, it cannot get any better than this!", and then when I first saw Kong appear on screen....CRUSHED...haven't been the same since. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Of course, I have softened on my hatred of this suit over time and have just come to accept it (and one of my favorite non-G showa films is KKE, and its suit wasn't all that great either), but it's one of the few kaiju I do not own in figure form (nor really have plans to...but you never know, depends what mood I'm in if I come across a Bandai Kong...the times I have seen it, I didn't give it a second glance).
GIANT CONDOR!!!!!!!! :shock:

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

James23873
Monsterland Worker

Post by James23873 »

Any one else think he looked more like an orangutan than a gorilla? His fur seemed to have a reddish orange tint to it.
You know, Darth Vader cannot be Luke Skywalker's father. They don't have the same last name.
-Woody Boyd

Zentenk
Monarch Researcher

Post by Zentenk »

I agree, he did not look like a Gorilla at all, KINO looks more like a yeti/sasquatch.

I was truly dissapointed when I first saw it, the cover of the video had the real King Kong on it for crying out loud (American VHS)!

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

My ideal version of Kong would be the peter Jackson Kong colored like the Toho Kong, with the Toho Roar and powers and the ability to stand upright when he needs to.

As far as the Toho Kong suit while he's not my favorite looking King Kong the look gets the job done and I wouldn't mind seeing this version of Kong appear in more Godzilla media in the future.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

wrongnote85
G-Force Personnel

Post by wrongnote85 »

menschenjaeger wrote:
That must be where the Indian guy from Master of the Flying Guillotine learned it...
freddy kruger

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Zentenk wrote: I was truly dissapointed when I first saw it, the cover of the video had the real King Kong on it for crying out loud (American VHS)!
You got played, son.

It also features the Megaro-Goji (on the front), and the '84 incarnation on the back. Neither of the suits featured in the actual movie are on the packaging.
Last edited by Goji on Sun May 20, 2012 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.