Worst Showa Suit\Puppet?

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Re: Worst Showa Suit\Puppet?

Post by Godzillian »

The puppets in King Kong vs Godzilla when they have them fighting towards the Osaka castle. It literally looks like a kid bashing 2 action figures together.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Tyler wrote:I think these aim a little higher than '60s Batman.
I don't know about "higher," their goals are just different. The 60s Batman was written with tongue in cheek for an increasignly media savvy audience, whereas the Godzilla movies are targeted at an engaged audience suspending their disbelief.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Monster Zero
Futurian

Post by Monster Zero »

I think it would be the the 50's Godzilla puppets and the Anguirus suit.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

monster zero wrote:I think it would be the the 50's Godzilla puppets and the Anguirus suit.
The Anguirus suit? Really? I thought it was pretty beautiful.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

pikmintaro
G-Force Personnel

Post by pikmintaro »

For me the worst suit has always been the Minya one, Son of Godzilla was basically the first movie I ever saw (Or ever remember seeing.) and all the way back then I thought Minya looked awful, my Mom thought he was and still thinks he's "cute" which I can never understand.
Runner up for me would probably be Kong, although he has a lot of charm to him, and if it was just some random Gorilla suit it wouldn't be as unique (IMO!) but the main reason for me is his ridiculous extendo arms, I would have preferred if they just kept them short the entire movie instead of switching between them jarringly.

Worst puppet... honestly to me all the puppets look pretty awful, it's hard to choose or it's not that they look particularly bad but they all look so different from the suits! I guess the worst ones would be when they looked like action figures in the background bumping into each other, which if I recall happened in several of the movies.

Actually you know what, just replace both with King Kong's arms they fulfill both most awful part of a suit, and basically being puppets for me, and just thinking about them ticks me off, Minya and the action figure puppets (Models whatever you want to call them, the ones that never move.) may look bad, but those arms make me rage.
"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13"
Favorite Godzilla movies
Showa Mothra vs Godzilla| Heisei Godzilla vs Destroyer| Millenium Godzilla Final Wars