Favorite Godzilla Suit of the Showa Series

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Monster Zero
Futurian

Re: Favorite Godzilla Suit of the Showa Series

Post by Monster Zero »

I like all the suits except '67 because his eyes looked weird

MegaEvilSaurus666
G-Force Personnel

Post by MegaEvilSaurus666 »

Godzilla 1962.
I'd change my username if I had the chance. It's a typo. It's supposed to be "66," and it's a very unfortunate thing to have on my account. Please help. :lol:

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Probably mine is the 64 suit from vs Mothra. I've always loved that look. Other ones I really like are the 68 suit and the original.

kaijubuddy
Yojimbo

Post by kaijubuddy »

ShodaiGoji for sure. It resembles the stereotypical Godzilla with the tiny ears and that rat face. Something about that suit is better than the rest. The other suits look really low budget, in my opinion.
Happy Holidays Everybody!

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

It's a toss up between the original and the one used from Destroy All Monsters to Godzilla vs. Gigan.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

MosuGoji by far. Its just one of the best suits period.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

BARAGONZILLA
JXSDF Technician

Post by BARAGONZILLA »

Uh...
:D
This is the beginning of the end.

three
Keizer

Post by three »

well, again, i'll have to go with KK vs. G's suit, and the Mothra vs. Godzilla suit (i dig the droopy the dog look). other than that, the rest look kind of weird and offputting, really.
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®
axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - bitch in space.

mschenk
Samurai

Post by mschenk »

The original because it looks the best. Second favorite is King Kong vs. Godzilla because it's the most nostalgic for me.

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

Dark: ShodaiGoji
Spoiler:
Light: SoshingekiGoji
Spoiler:

Jeff Nesteruk
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff Nesteruk »

My most favorite Showa Godzilla suit was the original in 1954, ShodaiGoji, my second is the one in 1974/1975. The rest I never liked that much, but the third would probably be MosuGoji.
[quote="Smuggers"]Yeah, I can't wait for GOゴジラLA to come out.[/quote]

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

Mosu-Goji (MvsG, GTTHM) is my all time favorite, followed by Soshingeki-Goji (DAM, G's Revenge, GvsSmog Monster, GvsGigan).

Worst would be a three way tie between the Mosuko-Goji (SOG), G 55 (Godzilla Raids Again), and Megaro-Goji (GvsMegalon...though to their credit, the SFX credit really improved the face of this suit during the 2 MechaGodzilla films)
GIANT CONDOR!!!!!!!! :shock:

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

Fighing On Fuji
GPN Volunteer

Post by Fighing On Fuji »

I don't know why, but I kind of love the face of the 75 suit specifically. The balloon dorsal plates definitely put the suit as a whole behind the 68 one, but that face on the 75 suit... Perfect. I would love 75 to be my favorite, but I'm afraid those dorsal plates just hold him back.

MustafaDaisenso
Monarch Researcher

Post by MustafaDaisenso »

I'm one of the few people who'll defend Gigantis, and I especially like the suit used in the movie. The really jagged spines, with an athletic build, plus those menacing fangs make it pretty memorable for me.

Definitely a big fan of the underrated DaisensoGoji suit (as you might have guessed by my username), as Monster Zero has a lot of nostalgia value for me. That being said, MZ is really the only movie that it appears in that I watched frequently, so its not the definitive Godzilla suit for me.

I'm rather torn between the SoshingekiGoji suit used in Gigan and the MegaroGoji suit in the Mechagodzilla films. The former is awesome, regardless of the visible wear and tear. The 'muppet face' has been trimmed back significantly, revealing those gnarly teeth, and the eyebrows are a little more aggressive, giving Godzilla a grizzled but still heroic appearance. Its probably the most iconic Godzilla look (barring '54 and '62) of the Showa era brought to perfection, though obviously in rough shape.

MegaroGoji is a sort of mix between MosuGoji, SoshingekiGoji and some new features, and while the proportions and spines aren't the best and the eyes sometimes are too cutesy, it still is a suit that aged well like its predecessor. I was obsessed with vs Mechagodzilla with as a youngster, and I really dug Godzilla's look in it. It still looks cool in ToMG, though at times I think its a little more ugly, particularly from head on.

Its really a toss up between Soshingeki and Megaro, though I'll say from nostalgia maybe Megaro, and now I'd say Soshingeki because of my love for vs Gigan.
"I'm a freelance reporter, but... you could call me a scandal hunter hahahaha…"
Check out my YouTube channel for restored Toku trailers in HD
Rodan 1.85:1 US Reconstruction Thread

shippersdreamer
Interpol Agent

Post by shippersdreamer »

I think the ShodaiGoji suit is my favorite, the first one used in my favorite Godzilla movie! Maybe I'm a little biased sure, but I still consider that the best.
"Look out, it's the most fearsome monster on the planet! Gezora..."

BARAGONZILLA
JXSDF Technician

Post by BARAGONZILLA »

62 hands down! I love his clapping!
message was a repeat forgot the one above. :lol:
This is the beginning of the end.

HayesAJones
Keizer

Post by HayesAJones »

The MegaroGoji/'73 suit is the default way I imagine Showa Godzilla. I adore it, puppy dog eyes and all.

Shannon Squid
G-Force Personnel

Post by Shannon Squid »

HayesAJones wrote:The MegaroGoji/'73 suit is the default way I imagine Showa Godzilla. I adore it, puppy dog eyes and all.

I adore the 73-75 suits. But the 73's human like eyes are a little freaky...

These covers aren't really the most flattering things but it gets the point across. :freak:

shippersdreamer
Interpol Agent

Post by shippersdreamer »

Shannon Squid wrote:
HayesAJones wrote:The MegaroGoji/'73 suit is the default way I imagine Showa Godzilla. I adore it, puppy dog eyes and all.

http://www.godzillamonstermusic.com/G-013.jpg

These covers aren't really the most flattering things but it gets the point across. :freak:
Good god that is terrifying.
"Look out, it's the most fearsome monster on the planet! Gezora..."

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

Shannon Squid wrote:

http://www.godzillamonstermusic.com/G-013.jpg

I CAN SEE FOREVER
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.